Mouthguard Breathing

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I posted this in the gear forum too. Not sure where it should go.

Anyway, I get pissed and throw my mouthguard away, because I can't breathe in the fucker. It's really important to me to have good teeth, but I want to be good at fighting too. BJJ, stand up whatever. Tips?? I can't afford a custom one right now, so that's out of the question.

For some it takes time to get used to so...

When you spar use the mouthgurad.
When you do strength work use the darn mouthgurad.
When you do cardio work use the friggin mouthgurad.
When you have sex put in a fresh mouthgurad.

Basically until you get comfortable with it only take it out when you brush your teeth and chew bubblegum.

For some it takes time to get used to so...

When you spar use the mouthgurad.
When you do strength work use the darn mouthgurad.
When you do cardio work use the friggin mouthgurad.
When you have sex put in a fresh mouthgurad.

Basically until you get comfortable with it only take it out when you brush your teeth and chew bubblegum.

Pretty much what he said. a custom mouthguard isn't gonna magically make it like you don't have one in. You will still have something in your mouth restricting your airflow.

Solution: Train with the mouthguard in.

Training with it is the best advice but when you get the money I would rec getting a custom,. On top of being more protecting than a boil and bite being able to talk in mine and not having it fall down my throat if i open my mouth helps a lot than and the 80-150 bucks you spend on it will be the best money you ever spent should they save you from losing a tooth.

Also make sure you are actively paying attention to your breathing too. I dont know if you are doing stand up or bjj but if you are doing stand up make sure you arent holding your breath and try to get a full breath when there is a break in the action. My boxing coach always yells at me to do that after punch combos on the mitts. For example he has me: step in 1 2.3 1 1 1 on the way out and then deep breath, reset and back in. Make sure you are out of the danger zone when you are taking those open jaw breathes though or you will have worst problems than shortness of breath should you get tagged on the chin.

The only difference between a shitty mouthguard you can buy in a sporting goods store and a custom mouthguard is..you won't be able to get it out easy.

I've used both, and that's the only difference I found (besides the obvious benefits in protection offered by the custom fitted one). You'll still have breathing issues if you're not used to training with a mouthpiece.

The only difference between a shitty mouthguard you can buy in a sporting goods store and a custom mouthguard is..you won't be able to get it out easy.

I've used both, and that's the only difference I found (besides the obvious benefits in protection offered by the custom fitted one). You'll still have breathing issues if you're not used to training with a mouthpiece.

That's what I was trying to way. There is nothing wrong with getting a custom mouthpiece, just don't expect it to be any easier to breath with.

look up the brain pad guard.....cung le uses it....just sayin

Get a custom mouthguard when you can as it is night & day compared to a boil & bite one cheapy. The only way to get used to the airflow with either mouthgaurd is to train with it in as much as possible. I have chipped enough teeth so I always wear one now!! My big test comes this Saturday with my mouthgaurd for my first mma fight!! :)

Just stick with it, you'll get used to it eventually.

train with the mouthguard. helps you prepare better for competion.

Back