Mousasi

• Thread starter Deleted member 583968
  • Start date
Mousasi isn't as good as he used to be. Dude has been fighting professionally for almost 20 years now. The last 15 against good/ elite competition. Mileage adds up. Even for a defensively very sound fighter like Gegard.

In his prime he was something special though. Beating top fighters from mw to hw while looking like he was doing his fucking groceries.
Hes still in prime but towards the end .....probably. People are confused cause hes seems to be more tentative now. Hes more worried about being " embarrassed " than losing. I cant explain it - it is what it is.He gave Lovato too much respect before realizing guy wasnt on his level ....a fight where I dont even think he lost.
The 2nd machida fight. He was the only one putting the hurt on his opponent but didnt go after the follow up after he had machida hurt. He doubled him in overall strikes in both fights but in this fight he dominated the significant strike count ( unlike the 1st fight and why machida won a close fight unless you go by the hometown judging or the silly commentating that night ).

He showed up soft( physically, imo) against the best version of the enormous 204 pound champ Lima ( welter)and won handily but no walk in the park .
If that was the UFC, youd see the double standard unfold right in front of you.

I will continue to stand by this - I believe D.Lima has evolved to being the #1 welterweight in the world. This stuff has been a part of my life since 99' ( which doesnt make my opinion better than someone else) and I've been fortunate enough to be right on the money about alot of fighters ( or just really lucky).

Hes still in prime but towards the end .....probably. People are confused cause hes seems to be more tentative now. Hes more worried about being " embarrassed " than losing. I cant explain it - it is what it is.He gave Lovato too much respect before realizing guy wasnt on his level ....a fight where I dont even think he lost.
The 2nd machida fight. He was the only one putting the hurt on his opponent but didnt go after the follow up after he had machida hurt. He doubled him in overall strikes in both fights but in this fight he dominated the significant strike count ( unlike the 1st fight and why machida won a close fight unless you go by the hometown judging or the silly commentating that night ).

He showed up soft( physically, imo) against the best version of the enormous 204 pound champ Lima ( welter)and won handily but no walk in the park .
If that was the UFC, youd see the double standard unfold right in front of you.

I will continue to stand by this - I believe D.Lima has evolved to being the #1 welterweight in the world. This stuff has been a part of my life since 99' ( which doesnt make my opinion better than someone else) and I've been fortunate enough to be right on the money about alot of fighters ( or just really lucky).

I don't see how Lima can beat Usman or Colby tbh. Dude gets stuck against the fence a lot and that's a really, really bad thing with those two.

Mousasi is one of the best MWs of all time. This is undeniable. The dude when went to HW and beat Mark Hunt.

Why is Mousasi rated so high?

He beat:
Lombard
Cyborg
Kang
Manhoef
Jacare
Hunt
Babalu
Sokoudjou
Goodridge
OSP
Kyle
Henderson
Santos
Belfort
Hall
Weidman
Carvalho
MacDonald
Machida
Lima

That's a dang impressive resume, especially for a dude who is a natural MW. What other MW has moved up to beat LHW and HW fighters?

Mousasi is 35 now so I do expect him to lose more as time goes on but everyone gets older.

I don't see how Lima can beat Usman or Colby tbh. Dude gets stuck against the fence a lot and that's a really, really bad thing with those two.
Usman HAS NEVER FOUGHT an elite someone bigger and 12 pounds heavier than him whose diverse striking would give Marty problems. Lima couldnt fight his fight agsinst mousasi because gegard ( the same size) did to Lima what Usman WOULD TRY but Lima had other things to worry and respect in fighting Gegard .

Usman is ALOT SIMPLER problem. He just needs to get up and does not have to worry about the stand up of Usman. 2017 Lima would have problems...big problems.2021 6 2 204 pound D.Lima ..... not so much . HE COULD , EVENTUALLY, FIGHT HIS FIGHT agsinst Usman - something he couldn't do agsinst Mousasi.

Lima s leg battery has become lethal ( and think of his length).
Watch post presser mousasi / Lima. Gegard 's quad was in pretty bad shape- was even looking for a cane/ crutch to leave building( as he admitted).

I can only wish that fight would happen....could only wish then the proverbial light bulbs would get flicked on.

I said the same thing about Oliveria BUT IVE BEEN SAYING IT FOR YEARS, now.

That's the thing about mma, you cant go on history ( unless we're talking months). You have to have some wherewithal on what's GOING TO HAPPEN. Thats why you're able to gamble money on these fights ( and why most mma fans lose their money cause they never learn)

Why is Mousasi rated so high?

He beat:
Lombard
Cyborg
Kang
Manhoef
Jacare
Hunt
Babalu
Sokoudjou
Goodridge
OSP
Kyle
Henderson
Santos
Belfort
Hall
Weidman
Carvalho
MacDonald
Machida
Lima

That's a dang impressive resume, especially for a dude who is a natural MW. What other MW has moved up to beat LHW and HW fighters?

Mousasi is 35 now so I do expect him to lose more as time goes on but everyone gets older.
Also as a +210 underdog against K1 HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP KYOTARO, beat him around the ring for 15 minutes.
8-0 kboxing record .

Usman HAS NEVER FOUGHT an elite someone bigger and 12 pounds heavier than him whose diverse striking would give Marty problems. Lima couldnt fight his fight agsinst mousasi because gegard ( the same size) did to Lima what Usman WOULD TRY but Lima had other things to worry and respect in fighting Gegard .

Usman is ALOT SIMPLER problem. He just needs to get up and does not have to worry about the stand up of Usman. 2017 Lima would have problems...big problems.2021 6 2 204 pound D.Lima ..... not so much . HE COULD , EVENTUALLY, FIGHT HIS FIGHT agsinst Usman - something he couldn't do agsinst Mousasi.

Lima s leg battery has become lethal ( and think of his length).
Watch post presser mousasi / Lima. Gegard 's quad was in pretty bad shape- was even looking for a cane/ crutch to leave building( as he admitted).

I can only wish that fight would happen....could only wish then the proverbial light bulbs would get flicked on.

I said the same thing about Oliveria BUT IVE BEEN SAYING IT FOR YEARS, now.

That's the thing about mma, you cant go on history ( unless we're talking months). You have to have some wherewithal on what's GOING TO HAPPEN. Thats why you're able to gamble money on these fights ( and why most mma fans lose their money cause they never learn)

I get that Moose did it to him, but Rory kept doing it to him too, he's just got a tendency to get stuck against the fence and give up double unders too easily. I love him as a fighter, but I just think those guys are absolute stylistic nightmares for him.

I get that Moose did it to him, but Rory kept doing it to him too, he's just got a tendency to get stuck against the fence and give up double unders too easily. I love him as a fighter, but I just think those guys are absolute stylistic nightmares for him.
I'm glad you brought up Rory cause its demonstrates Lima s performance on each fight. I'm telling you - this guy has become an absolute beast and even taking him down ( his weakness) will become more laborious with each fight .Hes at that age , too.I saw him at the belllator desk on friday.Even his hands look massive .

I do agree in UFC that its Usman, Colby then a drop down.

This is just my " reasonable opinion ".

I'm glad you brought up Rory cause its demonstrates Lima s performance on each fight. I'm telling you - this guy has become an absolute beast and even taking him down ( his weakness) will become more laborious with each fight .Hes at that age , too.I saw him at the belllator desk on friday.Even his hands look massive .

I do agree in UFC that its Usman, Colby then a drop down.

This is just my " reasonable opinion ".

Like I say it's just a style thing for me, there are certainly high level UFC guys I would back Lima against, but not those two. They're both superb at that chain wrestling against the fence and they both have the gas tank to do it for five rounds no problem.

He busted his eye socket/ orbital 45 seconds in- of course he didnt look good agsinsts-menko. Hes lucky fight wasnt stopped after 1st round ( a round he still managed to win), did u watch the Lovato fight ? and he has never lost consciousness or even helped to a stool after a fight in 18 years. That's called a tko against someone he dominated( as he should) in both fights outside those 15 seconds where he somehow dipped into a brutal spinning kick and then a follow up flying knee on the button and Hall still couldnt put him out . Uriah did the right thing- he followed him down and kept swinging as mousasi was trying to make his way to knees( half cover / turtle- as he was hurt but trying to get to knees).
Again- a fight he avenged in a brutal first round stoppage and this going backwards ( on short notice)to shut everyone up.

Even so - to pick at a guy who's 47-7 since 2003( age 17) , has fought over 4 weight classes , has never lost 2 in a row , never been ko-ed and has been championed everywhere hes fought - less the ufc- where he couldnt look any better on his final 8 fight deal .He left and his overall record under zuffa/UFC was very successful like everywhere else.

You fight with his longevity in a sport like this , in every top promotion, you're going to lose a few... shit happens.

* you cant even compare his crazy record ( 39 stoppages of his 47 wins - 31 in first round- how is this not celebrated ?) cause there is nobody out there you can compare his 18 years with.

It's ok- hes 35 , has worked through a few mcl tears and still really hasnt slowed and has his wits about him - 100%. That in itself is crazy and he probably will take a bad loss on horizon and then he'll probably call it a day then you wont have to worry about all this.

Hes the first tier goat that fighters acknowledge but fans dont . I'm ok with that too. I might come across insufferable when it comes to Gegard Mousasi but I never ( well , rarely) start it but when someone else makes a thread then I try to educate and finish.
He was never a champion in the UFC, he also got subbed by Jacare. That one really cost him his chance in the UFC, that and getting TKO'd by Uriah. I think Mousasi is great but he has a few blips on the radar. He's not a GOAT, just a great fighter. To me there's a difference. I talked more about Askren in the thread because Sherdoggers fell in love with Askren too. If Aksren didn't come to the UFC guys on here would still be saying he was a GOAT and could beat anybody in the UFC. You can pull up the threads before he came to the UFC and when the UFC signed him. It was ridiculous on here. I am just trying to keep things in perspective.

Like I say it's just a style thing for me, there are certainly high level UFC guys I would back Lima against, but not those two. They're both superb at that chain wrestling against the fence and they both have the gas tank to do it for five rounds no problem.
I dont like Lima's chances in a 15 minute fight vs a 25. If Usman collects rounds, itll be early and then I see Lima fighting HIS fight and hurting Usman.... that's just my opinion. I also think Lima gets Usman s respect early. This , in itself, changes dynamic of fight.

I dont like Lima's chances in a 15 minute fight vs a 25. If Usman collects rounds, itll be early and then I see Lima fighting HIS fight and hurting Usman.... that's just my opinion. I also think Lima gets Usman s respect early. This , in itself, changes dynamic of fight.

Tbh if he gets Usman's respect that's going to make Usman even more likely to try and wrestle him imo. Lima's best chance would be if Usman decided to try and trade jabs for leg kicks, but he's shown before that he'll take the easiest route to victory so I don't think he'd do that.

Moose is freaking awesome but I feel like his best days are behind him (fighting wise). Age is you know.... a bish.

He was never a champion in the UFC, he also got subbed by Jacare. That one really cost him his chance in the UFC, that and getting TKO'd by Uriah. I think Mousasi is great but he has a few blips on the radar. He's not a GOAT, just a great fighter. To me there's a difference. I talked more about Askren in the thread because Sherdoggers fell in love with Askren too. If Aksren didn't come to the UFC guys on here would still be saying he was a GOAT and could beat anybody in the UFC. You can pull up the threads before he came to the UFC and when the UFC signed him. It was ridiculous on here. I am just trying to keep things in perspective.
As far as your mousasi opinion goes, I disagree and dont think your on top of his career as u should in stating your opinion....which your entitled to.
I'm not going to get into jacare 2 but alot was said after fight and mousasi began his " second prime" because of it( probably the only fighter in mma history that can boast such). He finally built a team and a gym around him like most UFC elites are a part of or do.

You do know that most UFC champs came to UFC and started career with a few growing pains , evolved , went on winning streak and attained UFC gold ?

The irony here is that bisping declined a mousasi title fight ( first declined yoel) and his contracted 90 day nego began. He had earned his shot ( I would think- 5 fight stoppage streak) and he beats Bisping ? Lol.... as a significant favorite and here comes the irony. The whole narrative on Gegard Mousasi changes because he whoops Bisping , becomes UFC champ , maybe has one defense and then maybe loses and everyone looks at Gegard in a different light. This is the shit that bothers me.UFC , obviously, has the overall talent but at the very top of the mountain, things become interesting. BMMA has 4 legitimate guys that" could "come to UFC and win gold ..... and sassi the only guy with a proven UFC record ( especially his final 8 fight deal).

Try to be open minded. I'm, certainly, not saying anything " unreasonable ".

Tbh if he gets Usman's respect that's going to make Usman even more likely to try and wrestle him imo. Lima's best chance would be if Usman decided to try and trade jabs for leg kicks, but he's shown before that he'll take the easiest route to victory so I don't think he'd do that.
.. OR ... Usman becomes tentative on double and opens up opportunities for the enormous Lima to hurt Marty.

Listen, Usman has evolved to a pound for pounder but I consider him a beatable fighter. I just dont see many challenges on current UFC roster.Id be down for a re match with Colby but I don't know if result changes.

.. OR ... Usman becomes tentative on double and opens up opportunities for the enormous Lima to hurt Marty.

Listen, Usman has evolved to a pound for pounder but I consider him a beatable fighter. I just dont see many challenges on current UFC roster.Id be down for a re match with Colby but I don't know if result changes.

I think anyone is beatable, but I just don't see Lima as the guy to do it. Maybe if Mineev could make the cut to WW (he's suggested that he could AFAIK), he could be the one.

I think anyone is beatable, but I just don't see Lima as the guy to do it. Maybe if Mineev could make the cut to WW (he's suggested that he could AFAIK), he could be the one.
That's your opinion but he is a middleweight, looks like a monster but alot could " say that ". Also still has to pass some sort of smell test as far as competition goes. That's 2 things he has to overcome before we even engage in such a debate.... and maybe youd be proven right but right now ?????

That's your opinion but he is a middleweight, looks like a monster but alot could " say that ". Also still has to pass some sort of smell test as far as competition goes. That's 2 things he has to overcome before we even engage in such a debate.... and maybe youd be proven right but right now ?????

My personal opinion is that he'd be top 5 right now at MW or at WW if he could make it, but that's just going off my observations.

Come on, you don't even know him and you would pick Till who has 1 win at MW by split against Kelvin who is 1-4 in his last 5. Till got KTFO by a journeyman LW

Moose is more well rounded than all the guys you listed by far

Moose has beaten plenty of LHWs and HWs while Israel fought just one LHW and lost easily

Keep in mind that you lose any credit you might have by parroting the shertard - and Colbi - shtick of calling Masvidal a journeyman LW, like a fool

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back