• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MOUNT & BLADE II: BANNERLORD

Dream Evil

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone playing this game? Some of the gaming channels I follow on youtube have been making videos about it. I hadn't heard of the series before, but it looks like a cross between Risk and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I love this type of subject matter and so I'd be really interested to try it, but it also looks pretty complicated and I tend to find games with steep learning curves a little daunting these days as I don't have as much free time as I'd like.

I'd be playing on PS4, if that makes a difference. I'd imagine most of the interface is better suited to PC.

EA_Landscape-image_2560x1440-2560x1440-3455b2c51f7d0ac8837d0ea4ddfe8ba3.jpg

Haven't played in a year or so but Bannerlord is an amazing game.

It's as complicated as you want it to be.

Not sure how it plays on PS4 though.

It is a fun franchise, if you like that type of game. On sale on Steam at the moment. I started with the first games and finished them. I will definitely get II, eventually. I really enjoyed the game. You have to learn how the game "thinks" to beat it, and it has a steep learning curve, at first. I recommend any of the games in the franchise.

Anyone playing this game? Some of the gaming channels I follow on youtube have been making videos about it. I hadn't heard of the series before, but it looks like a cross between Risk and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I love this type of subject matter and so I'd be really interested to try it, but it also looks pretty complicated and I tend to find games with steep learning curves a little daunting these days as I don't have as much free time as I'd like.

I'd be playing on PS4, if that makes a difference. I'd imagine most of the interface is better suited to PC.

Haven't played in a year or so but Bannerlord is an amazing game.

It's as complicated as you want it to be.

Not sure how it plays on PS4 though.
It is a fun franchise, if you like that type of game. On sale on Steam at the moment. I started with the first games and finished them. I will definitely get II, eventually. I really enjoyed the game. You have to learn how the game "thinks" to beat it, and it has a steep learning curve, at first. I recommend any of the games in the franchise.

I just got this on console and would really appreciate some pointers

I have it on ps5, I had to drop it for Ragnarok coming out so will need to get back into it at some point.

I've put about 30 hours into it and still feel like a total noob. Constantly googling the systems, battle tactics etc. I have it all on the easiest settings just to get used to everything.

Was having a great time with it, the battles are exhilarating, I'm still pretty shit at it though. Haven't even took part in a siege yet.

Legionary imperial troops are bueno
Bantarian fian champions are bueno
Anything mounted is pretty good but the imperial mounted units are easy and dope.

Everything else kind of depends on what part of the game your in but if you let me know where your stuck I can help

So here’s the thing about banner lord. It has the option and ability to be brutal and extremely difficult. That being said the nice thing is settings are available to make it less harsh, like no true player deaths in battle. And really the main measure for progression is the flan tier system and character leveling. The thing about that is you don’t ever lose progress. Only gain it. So you can’t really move your character in the wrong direction so to speak, and the only way to fail-fail is financial ruin or diplomatic mistakes. That being said, losing in this game can be fun. Going down swinging against hordes of the inevitable enemies…..

The learning curve is hard up front, but you’ll figure it out up front, and long term once you “get it” the game isn’t actually THAT hard. Where as some games maintain their difficulty extremely deep into play throughs.

At the end of the day I’d expect your first 2 characters to be “learning experiences”. But you’ll probably have it down after that: and it’s not like those experiences can’t still be fun as hell because the battles are just so excellent

No hablo espanol

No but seriously, Im so early in the game I don't even know what those units are.
Ok. So early on, I’d focus on establishing a basic skill set for combat. Like, focus on one operative way to fight, probably best to prioritize open field combat as 99% of early game is in a flat terrain with enemies blindly charging.

Tournaments - you can get baller equipment, renown, and cash. No risk AT ALL. That means if your in a town and you don’t participate your basically passing up the chance to get gear you won’t see for 10-20 hours of gameplay w/o the tournament. Even if you don’t use it, you can sometimes sell this gear for 5k-10k and that bump can make you financially stable early on.

Inventory management - It may feel tempting at first to sell horses, and if your negative in cash it can make sense, but every horse in your inventory increases max weight carry. So if you intend to fight and loot you’re going to want some horses. This will help later too when you want mounted units.

For game strategy early, your mostly fighting bandits. Most bandits will charge you. The most dangerous bandits are steppe bandits because they’re mounted archers, so if your really early on they might be difficult to manage. For most other bandits, having 3-5 archers to soften them up before your infantry clashes will help you A LOT. You should have 1 skill, either bow, throwing, or crossbow to contribute to this.

quests are key early. You won’t really have plentiful money until later in the game, but the quests will help you gain renown, and maintain a positive balance. I really like the ones that promise combat like caravan ambush, bandit quests, hideouts etc. the thing is your guaranteed a battle which gives money and renown, PLUS any quest benefits. so you’re really just getting paid to do what you’d already do.

Companions - try to hire a companion with high stewardship or medical skill. Medical is huge because it prevents your troops from dying, they’ll be more likely to get “wounded” so you can maintain a higher skill army; and spend less money training them again. The steward can help with party size. A good steward can give you 70-100 extra units in party size. Start looking early. That good steward and some excess cash can be enough to get you to a size where you can take on enemy lords with 40-70 troops - and once you can do that, you’ll really start to gain momentum in the game.

Does that help a bit?

I've recently picked it back up after having put about 50 hours into it during early access. It's good, but I couldn't imagine playing it on console without mods. It feels less complete than Bannerlord to me, but it's still good fun.

After playing Viking Conquest for Bannerlord, the fact that there are no ships feels like a massive hole to me. The northwest part of the map would be so much more interesting if there was sea travel.

I'm having a good time with it right now, but I'm going to put it down soon to avoid burning myself out before the Lord of the Rings and Bretwalda mods are finished.

Legionary imperial troops are bueno
Bantarian fian champions are bueno
Anything mounted is pretty good but the imperial mounted units are easy and dope.

Everything else kind of depends on what part of the game your in but if you let me know where your stuck I can help
I'm playing as Vlandian. I recently had war with Sturgians (them bitches pay me fat stacks now) and currently at war with West Empire. I've discovered that even with a relatively low tactics skill (~75) my cavalry take fewer losses against heavy infantry in simulation than they do in real battle. I lose more infantry and archers, though. I've only found this to be consistently true against armies with a lot of heavy infantry like huscarls or legionaries who manage to slow down and smash cavalry units. Against lightly armored enemies or groups with many archers, it's way better to actually play out the battle and lead the cavalry myself. Just something to keep in mind and maybe test to see if it's true for you as well.

Idk exactly how battles are simulated, but it seems that the calculator rates cavalry more highly than their real performance against heavy infantry. Or maybe heavy infantry's real performance is better compared to other units than its simulation performance is.

Last edited:
I'm playing as Vlandian. I recently had war with Sturgians (them bitches pay me fat stacks now) and currently at war with West Empire. I've discovered that even with a relatively low tactics skill (~75) my cavalry take fewer losses against heavy infantry in simulation than they do in real battle. I lose more infantry and archers, though. I've only found this to be consistently true against armies with a lot of heavy infantry like huscarls or legionaries who manage to slow down and smash cavalry units. Against lightly armored enemies or groups with many archers, it's way better to actually play out the battle and lead the cavalry myself. Just something to keep in mind and maybe test to see if it's true for you as well.

Idk exactly how battles are simulated, but it seems that the calculator rates cavalry more highly than their real performance against heavy infantry. Or maybe heavy infantry's real performance is better compared to other units than its simulation performance is.
Because of the way my character is built, it’s almost always better when I get in the mix. I built my character kinda dumb. I built it more as a warrior than a leader. The result has been that my mounted heavy units (what I do the best) are really exceptional and it’s not uncommon for me to rack up 30+ kills. If it’s a big boy battle sometimes I’m around 70-100.

When I play the battle if it’s 1:1 we always win with maybe a few wounded, even when I sim it’s about the same. Now, when they have 3-4x our size, it becomes a war of tactics and attrition and I always play it out because it’s just enjoyable. I guess the thing is I like the fighting so much I don’t mind playing even if we’re rolling.

My army is admittedly heavy. Lots of crossbows and legion units. We rock 120 legionaries, 80 archers, and about 80 in misc cav.

we’re at that point in the game where I don’t really need to stick to an army to be effective. We’ve wiped a few smaller 600-800 man armies, but at this point we’re not getting much stronger.

A lot of my generals are really fucking swagged out and go ham in the fights.

Because of the way my character is built, it’s almost always better when I get in the mix. I built my character kinda dumb. I built it more as a warrior than a leader. The result has been that my mounted heavy units (what I do the best) are really exceptional and it’s not uncommon for me to rack up 30+ kills. If it’s a big boy battle sometimes I’m around 70-100.

When I play the battle if it’s 1:1 we always win with maybe a few wounded, even when I sim it’s about the same. Now, when they have 3-4x our size, it becomes a war of tactics and attrition and I always play it out because it’s just enjoyable. I guess the thing is I like the fighting so much I don’t mind playing even if we’re rolling.

My army is admittedly heavy. Lots of crossbows and legion units. We rock 120 legionaries, 80 archers, and about 80 in misc cav.

we’re at that point in the game where I don’t really need to stick to an army to be effective. We’ve wiped a few smaller 600-800 man armies, but at this point we’re not getting much stronger.

A lot of my generals are really fucking swagged out and go ham in the fights.
I'm not that far along yet. Only about half my troops are fully upgraded. I've got about 60 cavalry and only 30 infantry + 20 archers. My max party size is only 150. I'm considering putting all my infantry and archers in one of my garrisons and seeing if I can get 100+ cavalry with a movement speed ~7 to just hunt down and capture enemy lords.

keemstar-im-fast-as-fuck-boi.gif

I can't tell you anything about the new game, because I have only played the games that came before, but I loved them. I can't remember if there were two or three, but I bought them on sale in a Steam bundle and had a blast. It has been awhile since I played them, but it looks like Zebra Cheeks has laid down some good info.

I hated the quests early on, so I didn't do many of them, but they do actually help, and the important thing is that they help you build positive relationships with the other lordly types (forget what they call them, lol). If you don't build up relationships early in the game, then they all hate on you later and constantly bumrush you. Wave after wave. I went that route in the games I played, because fuck 'em, idc about diplomacy, ha. However, it made it so I had to fight everyone to the fucking death to win.

Anyway, have fun. I really enjoyed this game series, and I will get the newest one eventually. I just don't feel like putting the work in right now, because it can be a lot of work fighting all those fucking battles. Each game version had a different style of play in battle, with the earliest one being easiest to spam fuckers with the lance, and later ones being better with long swords and shields. Horses are very important, especially if you can upgrade to the heavy ones. Then you can wreck people.

I'm trying to get back into it, forgot every button, learning curve all over again.

Last edited:
I picked it up last day of the sale

The kingdom mod (or whatever makes it more Crusader Kings-like) is what helped me seal tje deal.

I can't wait to get lost in this.

I played a bit until after some first quest where I had to free some people from a bandit camp.

After work today/tn, I have a week off so I'll be diving into this and Xenosaga ep3. Can't wait!

Keep the tips coming Fellas!

I picked it up last day of the sale

The kingdom mod (or whatever makes it more Crusader Kings-like) is what helped me seal tje deal.

I can't wait to get lost in this.

I played a bit until after some first quest where I had to free some people from a bandit camp.

After work today/tn, I have a week off so I'll be diving into this and Xenosaga ep3. Can't wait!

Keep the tips coming Fellas!
This won’t come into play for a bit. But I learned today that if you have multiple parties in your clan, you can invite them to your army for very very minimal influence. You’re basically controlling all parties for inconsequential amounts of influence. So this is how you can get enough of an army to really drive your own conquest.

Just keep in mind you’ll owe all those fat wages. If your dominating 1k armies regularly that won’t really matter tho.

I was told smithing is how you get the best weapons in the game, and make a lot of money but I’m not sure i want to spend on it for skill/focus pts. It’s worth noting my experience so far with my 2h build is that it’s hard to find the weapons your looking for, so it’s something to consider.

Back