• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Motor Racing 2023

Most teams, competitive ones anyway, always have a #1 and #2 driver.

I mean. Red bull made it clear back in the seb/Webber days they wanted a number one driver like Ferrari and Schumacher. It’s helmut. So I don’t think Perez is given an equal car. That’s also the reason that ricciardo left. He felt he was a better driver and was asked to be the number two.
I also think though that Perez folds under pressure a lot. So he helps red bull out.

Red Bull should have had 2 drivers on the podium. They should have had first and second but Perez' car was as much slower than Max's car as the Mercedes were.

Well, Mercedes was willing to let the drivers race until one of them had a decent lead before they used team orders.
oh yea, agreed.
Hammy is frankly on his way out, it happens to the best of them.
Russell was a highly touted newcomer to the team and is definitely given free rein on course to excel.

oh yea, agreed.
Hammy is frankly on his way out, it happens to the best of them.
Russell was a highly touted newcomer to the team and is definitely given free rein on course to excel.
I mean. That’s what you would hope happens. Imagine working all your life to get to that point and then being told to take a back seat.

I mean. That’s what you would hope happens. Imagine working all your life to get to that point and then being told to take a back seat.
right? but the hope I suppose is that you'll somehow move to #1 at some point.
does it happen a lot?
nah

Max best driver in the world this year and ever. I mean max is so bored with keeping a car safe for all race then in this race decided to take risks and drive aggressively stupid in white lines to get ever more out of car. Guy is a machine

Max best driver in the world this year and ever. I mean max is so bored with keeping a car safe for all race then in this race decided to take risks and drive aggressively stupid in white lines to get ever more out of car. Guy is a machine

Max was pushing more than he needed to. Once a driver has the lead, all they need to do is maintain the lead, especially in these days of a limited number of components. You don't get more points by finishing 25 seconds ahead of the second place car. It just adds needless wear to the car. Keeping the gap smaller might make other cars try to catch up and wear their tires and components. Sunday we saw Hamilton just maintaining pace to stay ahead of Russell and Russell maintaining his lead on Perez to insure the podium finishes. A 4 second lead seems to be the sweet spot leaving the driver behind in dirty air.

In auto racing, it's difficult to tell how much is car and how much is driver. The only way to tell would be to have various drivers in the same car. That isn't even possible because the F1 cars are made to fit one driver because the position of the driver can change the balance.

All season, Verstappen and Perez were very equal in speed most of the season and both were faster than any other cars in the field. Now, after Perez got very close to Max in points, Perez' car is slower. Teams don't really have to give orders to slow cars. They can do it with the software in the car or even a slightly longer pit stop.

Max was pushing more than he needed to. Once a driver has the lead, all they need to do is maintain the lead, especially in these days of a limited number of components. You don't get more points by finishing 25 seconds ahead of the second place car. It just adds needless wear to the car. Keeping the gap smaller might make other cars try to catch up and wear their tires and components. Sunday we saw Hamilton just maintaining pace to stay ahead of Russell and Russell maintaining his lead on Perez to insure the podium finishes. A 4 second lead seems to be the sweet spot leaving the driver behind in dirty air.

In auto racing, it's difficult to tell how much is car and how much is driver. The only way to tell would be to have various drivers in the same car. That isn't even possible because the F1 cars are made to fit one driver because the position of the driver can change the balance.

All season, Verstappen and Perez were very equal in speed most of the season and both were faster than any other cars in the field. Now, after Perez got very close to Max in points, Perez' car is slower. Teams don't really have to give orders to slow cars. They can do it with the software in the car or even a slightly longer pit stop.
o no guy is just pushing car to the limits. he plays alot of sim and i bet he played spain many times and is now trying sim strategy and driving to real pavement

Just under 3 hours until start of the LM24.

Ferrari front row lockout, they look to have incredible one lap pace, but how will they stack up to Toyota operationally? Caddilac and Porsche are threats to Toyotas on pace, but will still have a big challenge ahead of them.

Of course,anything is possible in the race, but this appears to be the most competitive field in many years.

Seems rain is causing some problems. One of the Cadillacs was penalized for a low tire? Apparently one of the tires was low when they put it on the car.

They are really tearing up cars at Le mans.

What an incredible race. Amazing showing by the hypercars. Can't wait for next year.

missed most of it because I forgot somehow.
idiot.
but went to Sonoma for the Cup race today. It's always fun to watch pro drivers on my home course, which I literally have 100s of laps on.
we run the Carousal though, these guys don't. I thought they did last year, no? ralph will know.
anyway, good time. perfect weather.
from above, either helo or drone, I can see the track needs resurfacing.
you don't really see it when you're on the track.
(mainly because I'm concentrating on trying not to take an off course excursion into a wall or tire stack/)

missed most of it because I forgot somehow.
idiot.
but went to Sonoma for the Cup race today. It's always fun to watch pro drivers on my home course, which I literally have 100s of laps on.
we run the Carousal though, these guys don't. I thought they did last year, no? ralph will know.
anyway, good time. perfect weather.
from above, either helo or drone, I can see the track needs resurfacing.
you don't really see it when you're on the track.
(mainly because I'm concentrating on trying not to take an off course excursion into a wall or tire stack/)

I know they used to run the carousel then cut it out to increase speeds before 2000. They went back to it in 2019, 2020 and 2021 only to cut it out again last year. I found this article about it from last year. NASCAR has to constantly change things. They say they wanted faster laps but it might be more of a fuel mileage and stage racing consideration. They don't want back markers pitting before the stage breaks without losing a lap and ending up in front of the stage winners. The longer laps allowed them to pit early and gain track position. I personally like it when teams have to choose between stage points and track position. At the Portland Xfinity race last weekend, they had the entire field stop for a timed stop at the stage breaks and restart where they finished the previous stage. I thought they might do that again Saturday but they let them race. I think they got a lot of flak from Portland.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nascar/...nique-fast-corner-nascar-toyota-save-mart-350

great insight as always, ralph.
thx

Are you denying that max is given preferential treatment or that red bull have been known to play favourites?
wow now we talk who is favorite in red bull there is no "JAMES' IN RED bull so .....

The first practice session in Canada ended early as they had to red flag it when Gasly's Alpine lost drive 10 minutes in. Then they had a problem with the closed circuit television system around the circuit not being synched up so they didn't resume the session. They couldn't extend the time because the rules say the second practice has to be at least 2.5 hours after the first first practice ends. They are adding 30 minutes to the second session but rain is forecast for the afternoon so the second session might be in the rain.

Back