Motivation or lack thereof

DLesko

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, its been a long while since i posted here. Im having a problem. I have zero motivation to workout lately. Up until early this year i was working out regularly and training in Mixed Martial Arts but then i had to have surgery in january. I had to have a disk removed from my neck and two vertibrea fused. It really sucked and i couldnt workout or train for months. I was finally able to begin working out in early summer but i have no motivation. I lost most of my strength and ive gained over 15 pounds. I really want to get back into shape but its so depressing since all my hard earned gains have disapeared. Any ideas on how to motivate myself to working out again? What do you guys do to overcome this type of problem? The funny thing is, i have a very nice home gym and all i have to do is walk downstairs but i cant even get myself to do that. Any thoughts would be very helpful, thanks guys.

Make a new start and start slow...give yourself realistic goals...talking baby steps here...like one exercise to start with light weight or whatever you like doing but make it brief and make it light...then rest a day...and then do a gradual increase...everyone falls sooner or later...but to quote Frank Castanza, " i'll rise up like a phoenix out of Arizona."...maybe the home gym is the problem too, a training partner (although at times can be limiting) can help with motovation at times too...

Thanks. I never had problems working out at home before. I have a nice power rack, a high and low pully machine, benches, 500lbs of weights and various dumbells. Its nice to be able to go into the basement and lift.

Yea, I'm a believer in training at home myself...but communication is a powerful motovational force/anti-depressant not to be underestimated...

You have to attach a REASON for training. I know a lot of people get off on the "process" of working out, but the vast majority of people are training in order to fulfill some goal that is separate from the training itself. With weights, I imagine most people are either trying to get stronger in order to help their MMA/BJJ, etc, or just trying to change their appearance. Some folks want to get strong just for the sake of being strong.

I'd do some soul searching and try to find that reason for going down there and training. If it's for strength, then set some short range strength goals and start working toward them. If it's appearance, then visualize what it is that you're wanting to look like, and start doing those things that you believe will move you toward that goal.

The main thing is don't be down on yourself because of what you're not doing. If you never train again...so be it. There's no right or wrong to it. If you do train again...great. Just start with some easy goals and try to make it fun.

Also, remember that the road back may not be as hard as what you're anticipating. The body remembers where it's been, and it's a lot easier to regain strength than it was to build it in the first place.

Be happy, that you can actually workout again!

Start out again. Its easier to regain muscle than gaining it for the first time.

DLesko said:
Hi guys, its been a long while since i posted here. Im having a problem. I have zero motivation to workout lately. Up until early this year i was working out regularly and training in Mixed Martial Arts but then i had to have surgery in january. I had to have a disk removed from my neck and two vertibrea fused. It really sucked and i couldnt workout or train for months. I was finally able to begin working out in early summer but i have no motivation. I lost most of my strength and ive gained over 15 pounds. I really want to get back into shape but its so depressing since all my hard earned gains have disapeared. Any ideas on how to motivate myself to working out again? What do you guys do to overcome this type of problem? The funny thing is, i have a very nice home gym and all i have to do is walk downstairs but i cant even get myself to do that. Any thoughts would be very helpful, thanks guys.

I would get your diet straight. Find some motivation. I sometimes watch highlight reals and shit.

If you get your diet straight you will be seing visible changes in a matter of weeks...that should motivate you.

Then, think of the dudes that are fucking your beautiful ex-girlfriend who left you because you had a shitty car (well, thats what I do anyway), then take out all that rage in the gym.

This is something I usually do when I feel to tired or I'm lacking motivation. I tell myself that I will do just one set of a big movement and that's it. I don't mean any sort of HIT/single set stuff, I mean one set with a decent weight and not to failure. 99.999999% of the time that one set is all I need to get going and then I'm gearing to go for the rest of the session. There are some times where I'm just too bagged though!

You are two persons: The one before you got your disks removed and the one after. The PRs of person one dont mean shit for person two!

i had a surgery on my hand not too long ago and now all my big lifts are 20 to 35 pounds heavier than they ever were

I'm the opposite at the moment; I'm too motivated. I just wanna get down the gym and train! I went today but the damn place was closed! I ended up riding across town to a sports shop and buying extra weights to work on my deadlifts at home.

I'd love to have your set-up! Get in there and train!

BabyPhenom said:
Start out again. Its easier to regain muscle than gaining it for the first time.

you can replace the word muscle with the word strength also I do believe.

BabyPhenom said:
Muscle memory is legit right? Do you know of any sites or studies I can look at that will explain this phenomenon to me?

I havent worked out seriously in over 8 months, and when I did, it was just mostly cardio with light weights.

I was at my peak about a year and a half ago, but now I'm probably at 60% of where I was before.

Now I'm gaining some lard on my body, and want to be fit again.

Do you guys have any idea of how long i might take to get near previous levels?

I know you cant be accurate but whats a good guesstimate? like if it took me 6 months to get to a certain level, how long will it take me to reach that level again for a 2nd time?

DONT work out at home.

Sometimes being around other people and seeing people lift alot is great motivation.

As sad as it may sound take some energy pills. AMP works great :)

Back