Elections Mother Jones Writer: Warren’s Immigration Plan ‘De Facto Open Borders’

That's your opinion on it.

Has nothing to do with genocide. When a foreign country sends millions of its citizens to illegally cross another country's border, traditionally that has been acknowledged as an act of war. And so it was, when the Soviet Union decided to send its invaders to "liberate" the Finnish population and turn it into a Soviet puppet state.

The Soviet trespassers or spies, whose task was to foster division and hostility among populations, were executed on the spot.

Legal immigrants who are subjected to the state's laws and go through its various institutions, which greatly helps in the process of assimilation.

Illegals are much more difficult to "assimilate", and often form sub-cultural collectives, that in worst case scenarios, lead to the formation of criminal gangs.

Actually, it's only an act of war when a foreign country intentionally sends those citizens to do so and arms them for the cause.

When individuals move from place to place we call that migration or just moving.

This is stupid. Obama couldn’t legally grab guns, but you (the left) have made it perfectly clear it is your intention to do so when/if you are in the position to do so.

So you can stop lying now.
So, we weren’t in power from 2009-2011 when we controlled the Presidency, the House, and the Senate?

Last edited:
So, we weren’t in power from 2009-2011 when we controlled the Presidency, the House, and the Senate?

You all were too busy fining people who didn’t want or need health insurance at the time. “Common sense gun laws” didn’t become a talking point until 2013.

Elizabeth Warren has an immigration plan. Here are the highlights:

1. Decriminalizes unauthorized immigration and returns to the civil enforcement US had before George Bush began Operation Streamline.
2. Eliminates abusive immigration enforcement and keeps law enforcement at arms length from CBP and ICE.
3. Reduces and reforms immigrant detention.
4. Reforms immigration courts.
5. Raises the refugee cap to 125,000 and affirms refugee protections.
6. Reforms legal immigration and creates a path to citizenship.

"I have previously criticized Republicans who accused liberals of wanting “open borders.” President Trump tweets about this endlessly. But I have to admit that it’s hard to see much daylight between Warren’s plan and de facto open borders. As near as I can tell, CBP will be retasked away from patrolling the border looking for illegal crossings; if border officers happen to apprehend someone, they’ll be released almost immediately; if they bother to show up for their court date, they’ll have a lawyer appointed for them; and employers will have no particular reason to fear giving them a job."

- Kevin Drum

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/07/are-democrats-now-the-party-of-open-borders/
I’ve read steps 1-5 like eight times, and I still don’t see “unguarded boarder that anyone can pass at anytime for any reason” which is what an open boarder is... so, yeah.

Just... not.

Honestly, it just seems like a plan to deal with the ridiculous bottleneck we have in the system right now to me.

Immigration ads net value, why is the right afraid of adding value? Because they're afraid that they won't be able to compete for that added value in a fair way?

Underlined: tremendously inaccurate. The consequences for coming in undocumented are exponentially worse than doing it legally. You're pretty much resigning yourself to manual labor or some sort of self-employment. Despite this, there are some undocumented that have legitimate businesses (mostly in construction, landscaping, auto repair, etc), but obviously the vast majority struggle.

I post this in almost every immigration thread so here I go again:

immigration-flow-chart.jpg

It's not that "the right way" is available to all but immigrants just aren't incentivized enough to do it because of laziness or something. The "right way" is completely unavailable to a whole lot of people. Just about all the undocumented fall into one of those pink boxes.
My comment wasn't meant to say it isn't hard for undocumented residents but to say it should be hard to the point where there isn't incentive to come here UNLESS they go through the legal path of doing so.
Also, to match it up with you past comment, what do you think making undocumented residents have an easier path to legality (post-second amnesty) will do to that statement you underlined? It will start to close that gap and eliminate a contrast of using the legal channels vs just bypassing them and still being rewarded similarly. It isn't a good idea if you want to encourage the legal route and if you think the legal route is too strict, you should legislate a freer flow of legal immigration, not ease the undocumented path.

E-verify would simply limit their employment opportunities even more, marginalizing them further. Aside from brutal, Third Reich-level persecution, expulsion, and militarization, the only thing that can truly stem the influx of the undocumented are the economic conditions of both the US and sending countries. This is why there was a sharp dip during 2008-09.
Well, that's somewhat the point. If you take away the economic incentive to come here via undocumented means, most people won't do it. They will see that they either come in legally or it isn't worth it outside of that path.

I don't see a problem with amnesty every few decades.
You just talked about how bad it is for undocumented residents and then say this? No, we shouldn't continually have this drip affect of residents who get second class status until there is no reasonable option but to legalize them all. That's not a competent system by any means and an irresponsible way to go about it. You set a number of immigrants to come into the country and you discourage an illegal immigration possible.

I haven't seen a study on it specifically, but common sense tells you that the 1986 act had a positive economic effect on recipients' wages. It did lower crime, as expected:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1829368
Yes.... being here legally would do that. That's another reason e-Verify is important. It prevents employers from taking on cheap labor below the minimum wage. If you have a system that tries to only have legal immigrants in the country, you don't face those issues.

Last edited:
raw

Uh, yeah...I'm gonna take a pass on Warren. Thanks.

My comment wasn't meant to say it isn't hard for undocumented residents but to say it should be hard to the point where there isn't incentive to come here UNLESS they go through the legal path of doing so.

So make their lives miserable enough to the point where they "self-deport" like Romney suggested? Or to where they tell their relatives back home that it's hell over here so don't even try it?

That's pretty immoral on its own but even more so when you consider that a lot of times they have family members that are legal, that are citizens, and often that are US-born. Like I mentioned to the other poster, the undocumented aren't this separate species or even separate ethnic group that stays that way for eternity.

They live and work with all kinds of people and often have families that they support. Making their lives miserable makes the lives of a lot of other people miserable.

Also, to match it up with you past comment, what do you think making undocumented residents have an easier path to legality (post-second amnesty) will do to that statement you underlined? It will start to close that gap and eliminate a contrast of using the legal channels vs just bypassing them and still being rewarded similarly. It isn't a good idea if you want to encourage the legal route and if you think the legal route is too strict, you should legislate a freer flow of legal immigration, not ease the undocumented path.

Did you just ignore that huge chart I posted?? You keep bringing up people "bypassing legal channels," and "encouraging the legal route."

It's not that the legal routes aren't attractive enough or not easy enough, THEY DON'T EXIST, PERIOD.

And I don't think giving amnesty every 30 years is really "easing the undocumented path." I know for a fact that immigrants in the early 90s were aware that another amnesty anytime soon was extremely unlikely given that the first one in history had just happened in 1986.

Well, that's somewhat the point. If you take away the economic incentive to come here via undocumented means, most people won't do it. They will see that they either come in legally or it isn't worth it outside of that path.

E-verify doesn't remove the economic incentive. The US will still be a giant, rich, capitalist country and will still do what countries with those characteristics do: seek out cheap labor.

You just talked about how bad it is for undocumented residents and then say this? No, we shouldn't continually have this drip affect of residents who get second class status until there is no reasonable option but to legalize them all. That's not a competent system by any means and an irresponsible way to go about it. You set a number of immigrants to come into the country and you discourage an illegal immigration possible.

Thing is, the undocumented WILL get here, no matter what. I think the responsible way is to first give them certain tools (California allowing them to have insurance, driver's licenses, in-state tuition, for example) to allow them to live decent lives. Then create pathways to legality (with vetting included, obviously), then amnesty as a final net.

The irresponsible and immoral route is to make their lives as shitty as possible so that they tell their friends and family back home how hellish it is here and it scares them enough to not try it.

Does anyone here even trust the left anymore? Leftists say they don't want things the left is pushing but it happens anyway when they gain control of government and other positions of power.

The left isn't coming for you guns they say. I look at Europe and New Zealand and see they are banning and confiscating guns and the Dems are waiting until they gain power for another AWB.

The left isn't trying to flood your country with immigrants they say. The left is actively shipping African migrants to Europe. The left constantly gets in the way of anyone trying to deport illegals and secure the US border. There are Dems that want open borders and they want it for hateful reasons and for votes.

The left isn't trying to fuck with your kids. The left is getting creepy trannies to read stories to children. They are also telling kids they can be what ever gender or thing they want to be. Kids are now dancing for dollar bills in front of adult men. The left praises this behavior on good morning America.

The left says America is a melting pot. Why are Mexican flags being raised above upside down American flags? Why are there areas where you don't have to speak English anymore? Why are Somali refugees in Minnesota not integrating? Why is there FGM, calls for prayer and Muslims wanting to fight for ISIS in America? Because the left kicked the pot over.

The left isn't trying to take away free speech. The left actively shuts down Conservative speakers and has gained control of google/youtube, twitter and facebook and routinely bans and silences Conservatives.

etc

Actually, it's only an act of war when a foreign country intentionally sends those citizens to do so and arms them for the cause.

When individuals move from place to place we call that migration or just moving.

The left is trying make it easier for migrants to get here. That's what the global migration pact is for and they want to promote immigration in different countries.

It's an effective tactic that weakens a population.

@Possum Jenkins

Before I go breaking down this quote, I think I've reached our difference. You don't think there should be a cap to the amount of legal immigration. Is this correct?

So make their lives miserable enough to the point where they "self-deport" like Romney suggested? Or to where they tell their relatives back home that it's hell over here so don't even try it?

That's pretty immoral on its own but even more so when you consider that a lot of times they have family members that are legal, that are citizens, and often that are US-born. Like I mentioned to the other poster, the undocumented aren't this separate species or even separate ethnic group that stays that way for eternity.

They live and work with all kinds of people and often have families that they support. Making their lives miserable makes the lives of a lot of other people miserable.

Did you just ignore that huge chart I posted?? You keep bringing up people "bypassing legal channels," and "encouraging the legal route."

It's not that the legal routes aren't attractive enough or not easy enough, THEY DON'T EXIST, PERIOD.

And I don't think giving amnesty every 30 years is really "easing the undocumented path." I know for a fact that immigrants in the early 90s were aware that another amnesty anytime soon was extremely unlikely given that the first one in history had just happened in 1986.

E-verify doesn't remove the economic incentive. The US will still be a giant, rich, capitalist country and will still do what countries with those characteristics do: seek out cheap labor.

Thing is, the undocumented WILL get here, no matter what. I think the responsible way is to first give them certain tools (California allowing them to have insurance, driver's licenses, in-state tuition, for example) to allow them to live decent lives. Then create pathways to legality (with vetting included, obviously), then amnesty as a final net.

The irresponsible and immoral route is to make their lives as shitty as possible so that they tell their friends and family back home how hellish it is here and it scares them enough to not try it.

Borders are racist....is the Democratic credo.

The left is trying make it easier for migrants to get here. That's what the global migration pact is for and they want to promote immigration in different countries.

It's an effective tactic that weakens a population.

This isn't true, more people doesn't make a population weaker, it objectively makes it stronger especially under the right leadership.

@Possum Jenkins

Before I go breaking down this quote, I think I've reached our difference. You don't think there should be a cap to the amount of legal immigration. Is this correct?

I think there should be, but it should be a bit bigger than what it is.

What the exact number should be is a technical question. In general, I think there's too much attention paid to border crossings. Gotta remember, over half of all the undocumented came in legally, they just didn't have the means to stay legal. I think THOSE are the people that should have paths to legality first.

Gotta remember, over half of all the undocumented came in legally, they just didn't have the means to stay legal.
You can't accurately count border crossing like you can with visa overstays. When the illegal population range is between ~17 to ~30 mill, you cannot honestly make that statement.
And there's a massive difference between the two. As someone who didn't win the lottery of being born in America, I had to go through the legal process. They check your background, your income, your assets, your education, criminal record, etc to make sure you can support yourself in America, work, and be a contributing member of society before you get a work visa.
Tourist visas are given only if you have the means to support yourself during your stay, and they check if you have assets and responsibilities back home so that you don't just stay in the US after it expires.
Illegal border crossing don't have any of those checks.

I think there should be, but it should be a bit bigger than what it is.

What the exact number should be is a technical question. In general, I think there's too much attention paid to border crossings. Gotta remember, over half of all the undocumented came in legally, they just didn't have the means to stay legal. I think THOSE are the people that should have paths to legality first.

Okay, you believe in a cap. What happens to those who are over the cap? Is it immoral those people aren’t included in the capped number?

You can't accurately count border crossing like you can with visa overstays. When the illegal population range is between ~17 to ~30 mill, you cannot honestly make that statement.
And there's a massive difference between the two. As someone who didn't win the lottery of being born in America, I had to go through the legal process. They check your background, your income, your assets, your education, criminal record, etc to make sure you can support yourself in America, work, and be a contributing member of society before you get a work visa.
Tourist visas are given only if you have the means to support yourself during your stay, and they check if you have assets and responsibilities back home so that you don't just stay in the US after it expires.
Illegal border crossing don't have any of those checks.

Of course you can't pinpoint the exact numbers but those are the most accurate estimates from the most trusted sources on the subject.

As for the rest, of course there is a giant difference between visa overstays and border crossings. No one is stating the opposite.

Okay, you believe in a cap. What happens to those who are over the cap? Is it immoral those people aren’t included in the capped number?

Those over the cap are shit out of luck.

But if things like job permits, more paths to legalization, and amnesty are enacted, the number of undocumented already in the US and crossing the border will drastically go down. You can and should still treat them humanely, but it's a much smaller problem then. Even smaller than the one it is now, which is already pretty tiny (unless you're deathly afraid of "demographic shifts" aka, the country becoming too nonwhite).

Of course you can't pinpoint the exact numbers but those are the most accurate estimates from the most trusted sources on the subject.

As for the rest, of course there is a giant difference between visa overstays and border crossings. No one is stating the opposite.

Those over the cap are shit out of luck.

But if things like job permits, more paths to legalization, and amnesty are enacted, the number of undocumented already in the US and crossing the border will drastically go down. You can and should still treat them humanely, but it's a much smaller problem then. Even smaller than the one it is now, which is already pretty tiny (unless you're deathly afraid of "demographic shifts" aka, the country becoming too nonwhite).

I had two questions in my post. You only answered the first one. Is it immoral to not include some people in the capped number you are proposing?

Also, do the people not in the cap eventually get granted amnesty?

Back