Most weight you've seen a non lifter move?

Gorgo

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Friend of mine hasn't worked out since he was 18 in high school back in '99 and benches 315 lbs with some effort and not the greatest form.

The guy is strong as hell but I didn't think there was any way he could move that much weight but after having him warm up with 135 with little effort I put on 205 then 225 and he did it like nothing. So what the hell I just added two more 45lb plates and watched him push it up.

Maybe not a big accomplishment but I have never seen anyone who doesn't work out bench that much.

what does your friend do for work? sport etc?

if he moves furniture all day or plays contact rugby he'd be getting strong off of that easily.

also, some people are just big and strong.

Why not?

Many people are just naturally very strong/make a living moving very heavy objects.

Many U.S. farmers in the 19th century held friendly competitions to see who's the strongest by throwing the biggest fucking rock lying around. These rocks are said to have weighed anywhere from 300-500lb iirc.

And Abe Lincoln himself is famous for having superhuman strength. Same with Washington.

The concept that you need to be lifting barbells to build strength is "flawed". But you do need to be moving REALLY heavy things and live a very active life from a young age and continue doing it all throughout your life.

The ability to gain strength is genetic, but I'd be skeptical of anyone benching 315lbs untrained for a long period of time. 315lbs is actually a quite good bench press. Many people will never be strong enough to do that.

Like someone else said, he might be doing something else that is a form of resistance training despite that not being the intention. If he's having to pick up or move heavy objects fairly regularly despite not lifting weights, well, he's actually lifting weights, just not conventionally.

Didn't have my forklift license.

Nek minut lifted a tonne. Untrained.

How much does he weigh? If he is 260+lbs that's still a decent bench but nothing spectacular.

Why not?

Many people are just naturally very strong/make a living moving very heavy objects.

Many U.S. farmers in the 19th century held friendly competitions to see who's the strongest by throwing the biggest fucking rock lying around. These rocks are said to have weighed anywhere from 300-500lb iirc.

And Abe Lincoln himself is famous for having superhuman strength. Same with Washington.

The concept that you need to be lifting barbells to build strength is "flawed". But you do need to be moving REALLY heavy things and live a very active life from a young age and continue doing it all throughout your life.

Throwing a 500 lb rock? I doubt that mang

I had a high school freshman walk in and pull 315 day 1 at a body weight of 135. I realize that isn't anything outright amazing but it still shocked the hell out of me, especially since he claimed to have no prior lifting experience.

Why not?

People also have a frequent tendency to over inflate what really happened.

My dad doesn't lift, he's a 270-lbs. 50-year-old with a beer gut who hasn't touched a barbell since he was in his early 30's. So he says, at least.

He pulled 405 lbs. the other day because I had the bar still loaded up from my deadlift workout. Wasn't terrible form.

My friend pulled dbl bodyweight his first day deadlifting.

But... He was the rock climbing national champ on and off since he was 11, so pulling things is his bag. Hes also hyper mobile and generally just a freak athlete all the way around.

My current training partner told me that he pulled 315 on his first day, and could do a one handed pull up.

Normally I would call shenanigans, but the dude s an absolute beast. He currently pulls 615 for a double and can still do a one handed pull up (at 43 years old). Only guy I ever met that can do proper bent over rows with 405lbs (Yates style).

I had a high school freshman walk in and pull 315 day 1 at a body weight of 135. I realize that isn't anything outright amazing but it still shocked the hell out of me, especially since he claimed to have no prior lifting experience.

I don't believe you

EDIT: Never mind I thought you were talking about benching.

Last edited:
I grew up in a small fishing town in Newfoundland. Lifelong fishermen who have never seen the inside of a gym have Silverback levels of strength. I'd imagine the same is true for a lot of farmers, loggers, miners, ranchers, etc.

Lifting regularly is just a way for us modern wimps to emulate the strength of our forefathers, really.

Back