most underrated Pride champ?

most people here dont remember how amazing Gomi was back in the day. he had such sick defensive wrestling and great hands. He was so fast and was always exciting. hes definitly one of my all time favorite fighters, he had the bushido spirit and the rare talent to match. Today when you mention his name here its the guy that choked out by Florain, man handled by Clay and the guy that got submitted by Nate. The fact that BJ LEFT the ufc to fight him back in 03 was just awesome in itself. They dont make guys like gomi and BJ anymore.

this brought a tear to my eye :icon_cry2

I would say Misaki, he was a great fighter, good striking, awesome cardio and very good grappling. He retired last week, he did a last exibition Kickboxing match with Gono. I was really hoping he was going to make it over to the UFC after the Strikeforce fold, maybe a rematch with Hendo, that would have been awesome!

All are rated pretty highly, except Misaki. He just put a pretty good ass whoopin on Daley too. Out struck him.

misaki just retired about a week ago unfortunately.

he went out like a boss also!

When you think about it, MIsaki has one of the more impressive resumes in MMA. He's beaten some really good fighters considering he is never talked about.

probably Gomi. He was considered the #1 LW in the world during 2005-2007. I thought he was overrated then. These days, guys like Wanderlei and Hendo probably get better odds than they should based on their previous accomplishments while Gomi seems to get no love at all.

probably Gomi. He was considered the #1 LW in the world during 2005-2007. I thought he was overrated then. These days, guys like Wanderlei and Hendo probably get better odds than they should based on their previous accomplishments while Gomi seems to get no love at all.

Yeah, partying all night in Vegas before the Diaz fight seemed to zap all the motivation of his entire career...

Sorry.. Matt Hughes was gonna fight in a pride gp? And sanchez? That one passed me by

I remember Hughes saying something like he had no idea Pride had used his face on the flyers that were given out at the second last Pride event. (or one of the last)

It was pretty obvious such tournament was never gonna happen. There perhaps could've been plans to invite UFC fighters again though.

another fun fact, before it's absorption into the UFC, Pride was going to create a Super Heavyweight division

They were all rated highly, except for Misaki.
He just beat Paul Daley and nobody's talking about him, so I guess I'll pick him.

Most of the guys you listed are overrated.

Sakuraba, since he had to make his own belt to get his props.

lots of people suddenly get mistaken for not ever having been good despite a long run at the top towards the end of their careers or at retirement.

If people understood just how incredible some of these guys were, than I think some of them are well underrated

Back