Most underrated champs in UFC history

Murilo Bustamante for sure.
As dominant as it gets as a champ, finished Lindland twice in their tittle fight because of a terrible refereeing.
Then vacates the UFC tittle and goes to become the first Pride and UFC champ in history if not for another terrible judging, despite taking the fight in short notice against a way bigger Rampage

The Weidman that destroyed Machida would be a problem to any MW ever, imo that was his prime
Let's put correct spin on this. That was definitely Chris s best win agsinst that version of Lyoto. However, he won a definitive decision ( 49-46ish) in a pretty good fight that Chris won clearly. " destroyed " - lol.
The Mousasi that destroyed Chris and made him say he was in a different year and a different country to doctors is only mw that " could" beat 33 year old Andy.

That and a small window where Luke looked ridiculous.

Last edited:
Lawler not only best comeback story in UFC history but cant remember a title holder come in as betting underdog and defend title the way he did( more than once). I think Robbie is certainly a good mention as per topic.

Bisping.
One Eyed and had one good knee.
Hard to top that. Becoming the champ when he is strictly disabled
Huh ???
He had one title defense agsinst the only 66 year old he was willing to fight who was unranked and 1-4 before he beat an overrated welterweight to get call.

Lol- the undeserved 66 year old, arguably, won.

GTFO .

WTF ????

Huh ???
He had one title defense agsinst the only 66 year old he was willing to fight who was unranked and 1-4 before he beat an overrated welterweight to get call.

Lol- the undeserved 66 year old, arguably, won.

GTFO .

WTF ????
Name one other figther that became a champ with more severe injuries

Name one other figther that became a champ with more severe injuries
Is that the theme of this topic ? He was healthy enough to double up on left ( thank u coach Perillo) and score ruthian upset. He hadn't looked " good" in his 3 wins leading upto fight and any fight after.
How in the name of common sense does he get a mention ?

I respect ping as a UFC calibur fighter and a commentator. As a " champ" - not so much.

Just calling it the way it should be called.

Is that the theme of this topic ? He was healthy enough to double up on left ( thank u coach Perillo) and score ruthian upset. He hadn't looked " good" in his 3 wins leading upto fight and any fight after.
How in the name of common sense does he get a mention ?

I respect ping as a UFC calibur fighter and a commentator. As a " champ" - not so much.
I think it is quite amazing to get the belt coming into the battle already injured to being called off during the battle

Once ( if) CharlO gets a defense in , I'd certainly add him to list. Too many sherdoggers dont understand the words " evolve " and " growth".

I dont know if gets through the murderers row of DP, Beneil and Islam. He most likely loses to one of them .

Exactly. He killed lyoto and Belfort when everyone was high on their nuts but now his run isn't acknowledged by most.
If we’re being honest he killed a deflated old Belfort who was no longer juiced.

Now if he killed TRT Belfort that would be a different story. Every one of his big wins were guys with big names on the decline in their careers.

If we’re being honest he killed a deflated old Belfort who was no longer juiced.

Now if he killed TRT Belfort that would be a different story. Every one of his big wins were guys with big names on the decline in their careers.
Yes, Chris was a -540 fave over Vitor so your post / cogent.
However the other side of career vitor still handled other middleweights and was able to sustain a top half dozen standing for a good bit.

Weidman one of the tougher champs to rank on account of alot of issues. A real champ though and fought who they put in front of him.

Vitor

he was champ only for a while

but his UFC career was great

He defended against these old Brazilians past their primes. Weidman wasn't a great champion ever.
Past their primes ?
Belfort had just brutalised Bisping, Rockhold and Hendo and before that went 4 rounds with Jones and almost subbed him.
Silva hadnt lost in 7 or 8 years
Machida had just beaten Munoz and Moose.
Add that up and it = you're a clown.

Let's put correct spin on this. That was definitely Chris s best win agsinst that version of Lyoto. However, he won a definitive decision ( 49-46ish) in a pretty good fight that Chris won clearly. " destroyed " - lol.
The Mousasi that destroyed Chris and made him say he was in a different year and a different country to doctors is only mw that " could" beat 33 year old Andy.

That and a small window where Luke looked ridiculous.

I think several fighters have a legit chance of beating 33 years old Andy. Which doesnt mean they would make the run Silva did but in some particular match-ups, he could find problems.

Rockhold's and Weidman's grappling would be real trouble imo, against any version of Silva.

Do you think Mousasi would find succes vs him standing or in the ground?

Bustamante , but when he left he took the title with him so now the ufc just pretends he never existed

Underrated
HW- Tim Sylvia
LHW- Shogun
MW- Rich Franklin(If Anderson wasn't around he would have become the biggest star in the UFC imo)
WW- Lawler(he fought all the guys GSP didnt want to fight during his streak)
LW- Frankie Edgar

idc abt small guys
You say Frankie and follow it with declaring that you don't care about small guys?

Personally I think Weidman is underrated as fuck. Ppl hate him bc he won on a "fluke" ko and a "fluke" leg break but then defended 2x. He's shot now but at that run he had to the title and with it was great.

Teh Chris's defense against Lyoto was a Masterpiece! By both fighters actually.

Totally agree that Weidman's run was 100% Legit and that he does not receive the credit for that he should.

I think several fighters have a legit chance of beating 33 years old Andy. Which doesnt mean they would make the run Silva did but in some particular match-ups, he could find problems.

Rockhold's and Weidman's grappling would be real trouble imo, against any version of Silva.

Do you think Mousasi would find succes vs him standing or in the ground?
I try to be as real as I can when its gets to the version on Andy thst came over and obliterated Rich 2x, made hendo quit and finished a good version of vitor in record / devastating fashion. Of course , in that era, people will point to certain fights and say " well, I dont know" . Travis Lutter started the blue print but he failed at the end because he didnt have the gas tank. Thst counts. Chael followed up on that with his size/ style/ timing ..... but he failed.That counts.
I'd take prime Andy over prime Chris and I say this because Chris focused on his positives as a stand up fighter than his wrestling/ grappling background. This happens alot - look at Yoel.
The animal that beat Chris for title ( Luke ) , I could see him possibly beating Andy if he got his large frame on top of him. He was just fucking nasty ( top game). I love the mousasi who fought Chris. That guy could offset prime Andy standing and has the smarts to know when and put Andy on his arse .... and then Silva in trouble more ways than one.
Gegard has admitted that Anderson would be too much for " young mousasi ". Another reason why the longevity of a mousasi is not mentioned enough. At 36, hes still in prime ( towards the end albeit but still .... you would think) and you have sites like fightmetric (x) that have him inside top 10 pound 4 pound.

Everyone knows I'm a big mousasi guy so I take some backlash with a grain of salt.
In fairness , who knows on spot I am OR NOT.

I fully believe, styles wise, that 33-34 year old Andy beats Israel but that's me . Adesanya beats who they currently put in front of him so I dont/ cant fault him. His striking is crazy good.

Back