1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Most underrated champs in UFC history

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Kvolcom, Oct 10, 2021.

1. pankrat Red Belt

Former opponent Jeremy Horn disagrees, and I dont think its because of bad blood

2. RonJhun808 All Praise to the One Professional Fighter

I dont think anyone ever said Frank had great Jiu jitsu. I dont ever remember Frank himself claiming to have great jiu jitsu either. Still one of the more underated champs. So was Horn though he had some huge wins over top guys and durable as heck.

pankrat likes this.
  3. ThunderStruck Silver Belt

It all comes down to the first round. Both clearly won 2 rounds. That first round was pretty damn close. Hardly a robbery.

4. TankAbbott4Eva Gold Belt

Should ask Kevin Jackson what he thinks

5. Tapioca Cold Orange Belt

I don't need to 'believe' he beat Hendriks. He did beat Hendriks. Take it up with the judges.

6. markg171 Gold Belt

Serra.
    • He's an ADCC World Silver Medalist, where he subbed Gomi. AKA he very well might've beaten Gomi in MMA if they'd ever fought.
    • It's also noteworthy that Serra wasn't even allowed to compete in the Gold medal match as Renzo forced him to bow out due to Gracie hierarchy. Serra lost gold through no fault of his own, but rather dumb Gracie rules.
    • He had a competitive bout with BJ that had Serra won he'd have been fighting for the LW belt. BJ went on to draw for the belt then KO'd Pulver to become #1 LW only a few months after this. Serra meanwhile had a split decision loss to Din Thomas when Din was a top LW. Serra was very much a top LW.
    • It was TUF Comeback precisely because they were bringing back former great fighters for an almost Rocky style title shot. It wasn't TUF Bums like Sherdog pretends it was. It actually had a full tournament of good fighters rather than every other season which is prospect finding tournament. People forget that the MW winner that year was Travis Lutter, who likewise got a title shot and likewise ran roughshod over Anderson. Fortunately for Anderson Lutter had a horrible weight cut.
    • He beat GSP, the WW GOAT. GSP may not have been as good as he'd become, but he'd just beaten Hughes, had nearly beaten him the 1st time, and would go beat BJ and Koscheck afterwards. You can't just erase away this kind of all time great win.
    • Serra was scheduled to defend his title against Hughes. He didn't just win his belt and fuck off. Hughes BTW earned his title shot by beating Lytle, who was the guy Serra beat to win TUF.
    • Serra unfortunately got injured so GSP fought Hughes and won, thereby forced Serra to defend against the guy who should've always been champ.
    • Notably, but Serra did go on to fight Hughes after he lost his title, where they had a competitive bout. Again showing he actually was a fairly top WW, and potentially could've had a defence if he'd defended against Hughes as intended instead of GSP.
    • After his career he became a top MMA coach, producing champs like Weidman and Sterling
    Serra was obviously never the real #1 WW in the world, but he gets unfairly singled out for that. Plenty of champs weren't. But everybody ignores that his career shows that regardless of that he was a top LW and WW, which is far more than others.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    pankrat likes this.
  7. johnyboy Silver Belt

I dunno man, let's be honest. It was a tough competitive fight and we should agree it was hard to score.

8. dipstickjimmy Red Belt

So did you not hear my answer that I already gave?
    People gave Hendricks "Extra Credit" for his performance. It wasn't some kind of one sided beat down as some like to claim. If a lot of people thought Hendricks won I can understand that. But when you look at the fight the first round was the deciding factor. For it to be a robbery it would have to be impossible to justify giving the round to GSP based on the scoring criteria. That simply isn't the case.

GSP clearly won 2 rounds. Hendricks clearly won 2 rounds. One round was close and could have gone either way. If you gave the first to Hendricks I can understand that. I can also understand giving it to GSP. Statistics (which have no bias) bear out how close it was based on the scoring criteria.

I would sincerely like to hear how you would score the fight round by round. I would also like to know if you agree with the following:
    1. Rounds 2 & 4 were clearly Hendricks.
    2. Rounds 3 & 5 were GSPs.
    3. Round 1 was the deciding factor.

If you don't agree I would like to hear how you scored it and why.
    If you do agree I would like to hear how you scored the first and why. Specifically if you can at all see it as a close round.

Pezza and Prologue like this.
  9. Drill Banned Banned

GSP lost to Hendricks g

10. snaportap21 Purple Belt

I’m not going thru this again with another person. Go look up my previous replies.

11. snaportap21 Purple Belt

Stop giving GSP extra credit because he was a long time champ.

12. dipstickjimmy Red Belt

I honestly want to hear what you scored the fight. Again if you scored the first for Hendricks I can understand but I don't believe it was so dominant as to be unquestionable. Maybe if you explained how you saw it I would be made to see something I didn't?

I truly would like to discuss the fight and not trade barbs.

Pezza likes this.
  13. jsbx45 Black Belt

Timmeh, Pulver, Serra (lol), Alvarez, Bisping.

Rebelfett likes this.
  14. HavokHarmon Orange Belt

Awesome post, I haven’t watched it in a while but I think the main issue was that Johnnys strikes looked a lot more damaging. How you weight that ends up being pretty subjective, I personally thought Hendricks won but I can easily see it the other way and don’t think it was the robbery that a lot of people make it out to be. And either way ts is wrong here, whoever you think should have won you can’t say that GSP didn’t fight him lol.

dipstickjimmy likes this.
  15. Mangar Black Belt

16. ThunderStruck Silver Belt

I don't care about your other replies. It all comes down to how you score the first round, which was close. Not a robbery.

17. Cameron Purple Belt

You forgot the judges

Ghostoftheville likes this.
  18. Ghostoftheville Brown Belt

Look at you trying to use statistics to back up your argument, this is sherdog that doesn't matter!

19. jsbx45 Black Belt

Respect Frankie, but I don't think he's underrated around here.

20. jsbx45 Black Belt

I'm a big GSP fan and I agree with this post.