Most Technical Fighter (current or all time, UFC or Pride)

Striking - JDS, Overeem, Machida, Aldo

I didn't put Silva because Silva relies a lot on his athleticism to beat his opponents. While no doubt he has great technique, a lot of the time, what he does are not good techniques for others to emulate, since putting one's hands down and invite the opponent to hit your face isn't a practical technique unless you have super fast reflexes.

Wrestling - Cormier, GSP

No explanation needed.

BJJ - Maia, Werdum
They're all about technique.

Overall - Jones.

He's the best at putting everything together.

I'd say that GSP's advantage in takedowns is equalled by Anderson's advantage in a BJJ bottom game, and GSP's advantage in TDD is more than equalled by Anderson's striking.

No.

Anderson's bottom game isn't close to GSP's takedowns. That's just a ridiculous comparison.

I'd say that:

Anderson's striking = GSP's wrestling

GSP's JJ and striking > Anderson's JJ and wrestling

I didn't put Silva because Silva relies a lot on his athleticism to beat his opponents. While no doubt he has great technique, a lot of the time, what he does are not good techniques for others to emulate, since putting one's hands down and invite the opponent to hit your face isn't a practical technique unless you have super fast reflexes.

And you think people should emulate JDS and Overeem? These guys are lacking fundamentals, and make up for it with a lot of power, quickness and low quality opponents.

I agree with Aldo though. He's very methodical.

And I think that GSP is much better than Jones at "putting it all together". He's extremely methodical, and perfect for people to emulate.

Last edited:
No.

Anderson's bottom game isn't close to GSP's takedowns. That's just a ridiculous comparison.

I'd say that:

Anderson's striking = GSP's wrestling

GSP's JJ and strking > Anderson's JJ and wrestling

yeah you might have a point but I don't mean to say that thy are equal what I mean to say that is that to the extent that GSP's takedowns are better than AS's takedown's, Anderson's bottom game is superior to GSP's by the same amount.

Fedor. Just the most variety.

But then it depends if you want to think of technique as always finding a way to land clean strikes, submissions and takedowns or whether you want to think of rigid textbook form. GSP pretty much makes zero mistakes in his basic arsenal of techniques.

Machida, GSP
and just because you are the most technical, doesn't mean you'll win

BJ Penn/Anderson Silva/GSP - In no order.

Anderson and Machida would be number one, but they drop there hands and dance a lot, on purpose to get there opponent to strike, but thats not really technical i think...

BJ used to be extremely technical. His boxing was crisp and takedown defense was crisp as well... not to mention his JJ

I can't believe this many people actually read the question and still said Anderson. He's impressive to watch but if a trainer ever told a new student to keep his hands at his waist any of the crazy shit Anderson pulls off, his students would never win a fight. I'm going with Frankie Edgar, Machida, or maybe even Arlovski on this one.

GSP has more technical wrestling and BJJ than Anderson, so he gets my vote, though a case for Aldo could be made.

I can't believe this many people actually read the question and still said Anderson. He's impressive to watch but if a trainer ever told a new student to keep his hands at his waist any of the crazy shit Anderson pulls off, his students would never win a fight. I'm going with Frankie Edgar, Machida, or maybe even Arlovski on this one.

Yeah that's why I wouldn't put Anderson on there.

Edgar, Machida, Aldo, GSP are obviously at the top on anyone's list.

Anderson might be the best fighter out of everyone, but he's not the most technical.

And anyone who says Fedor is fucking delusional.

BJ Penn has the some of the most technically sound boxing and BJJ ever in MMA. Kenny Florian was always super technical in all areas. GSP is a good answer too, he has solid technique everywhere.

And anyone who says Fedor is fucking delusional.

Really? In about 2008 he started swinging like a bum, but up until then he had arguably the most rounded game in MMA history.

He boxed right into the clinch, usually without being hit, got the takedown, baited submissions from guard and used his escapes to land hard shots and pass. From there he allowed opponents to start getting back to guard just so he could land some hard shots on the way and start over.

Just because you don't like the way it looks doesn't mean it's not technical as hell. There are plenty of technique based fighters who use nothing like orthodox form - Emmanuel Augustus for example.

Yet you include Aldo? His basic offense is the 2 - 3 to the body, low kick. Over and over. Impressive that he gets away with it, no doubt, but hardly a technique driven game.

GSP, and it's not even close. the question about "who is most technical" means the following:

-we assume EVERYONE has the same KO power(therefore, only striking technique counts)
-we assume EVERYONE has the same chin(therefore, only striking defense tech counts)
-we assume EVERYONE has the same explosiveness(GSP loses here, as he is very explosive)
-we assume EVERYONE has the same reach and height. they are also of equal reflexes.

we make every possible assumption to ensure that only skill and technique count. now, ask yourselves... if GSP had KO power and granite chin(in this 'only technique counts' assumption, he DOES have ko power and granite chin, cause all non-technique factors should be the same for fighters, we aint judging who's the toughest here!) just how good would he be? the answer is, gsp would be nigh unbeatable. it is clear that, all other factors being equal, GSP reigns supreme. excellent bjj, tremendous wrestling, very good striking(with both boxing and kicking, mind you, not just 'good hands').

lets face it, GSP's only 3 weaknesses are an average(not realy bad) chin, no KO power, and lack of head movement. everything else is not just good, or great-it's perfection.

Aldo and Silva are close seconds:
-silva possesses good head movement(not great-watch boxing, you'll see most devoted strikers have that, in mma its just rare due to all the wrestlers), average, at best, wrestling, but non-technicaly makes up for it via impossible chin and KO power.
-aldo possesses the same qualities with GSP but worse wrestling(still good), better head movement in striking, and has better KO power. both these fighters are IMO higher than GSP in a proper p4p debate, but if its not just "p4p" but "only technique counts", then GSP surpasses them due to KO power not being a factor.

Last edited:
gsp and it isnt close.

Back