Most knowledgable trainer

He's also trained in Cali a lot, and goes back-and-forth between here and Cali. Mr. Schatz up there worked with him at a Gym in Costa Mesa before.

Neighborhood gym called "Tommy's Gym," in Costa Mesa. I have good memories of that place. Jesse was down there with a good stable of fighters at the time, including Paul Spadafora.

HAHA 7ft tall heavyweight. 86" wingspan.

Mayweather Sr fought at welterweight right?

And Pat Barry's is in Vegas right? And do they produce some good fighters?

Marcellus didn't say SHIT to oppose Floyd either.

And I yeah I think he fought at WW.

Barry's is best-known for it's Amateur program. I've never trained there or anything but I've heard that a lot of shady shit goes on there. Not from Pat, he's supposed to be an ideal guy to interact with, but from others there. Lots of politics and whatnot because it's a hub of the Amateur program in Nevada.

However, if you're a Pro with clout, I'm sure you could train there with little hindrance.

Neighborhood gym called "Tommy's Gym," in Costa Mesa. I have good memories of that place. Jesse was down there with a good stable of fighters at the time, including Paul Spadafora.

It's always fun when Jesse's around. Even if his chief interest is using you as a heavy bag for one of his Fighters.

Top Rank is at it's best when Mike, Eddie, and Jesse's whole stables are there. Crazy sparring sessions and shit.

Marcellus...Brown? I think thats his name. That guy cannot fight. I remember seeing him years ago and thining "MY GOD!" I felt the same way when he attempted to move around the ring and throw punches.

lol Yeah, that's why it was funny that he kept his yap shut when Floyd talked shit. Watching a 7' guy get punked by a skinny old little guy is hilarious.

Eddie Mustafa's a good trainer who tap-dances the line between cheerleader and strategist. One thing he did excellent in the Dawson/Johnson fight was TELL Chad his second wind was kicking in. Not ask him if, but TELL him.

They seem to be a good combo. Anytime Chad listened to Eddie he would win the round. How long does Eddie work with Chad before a fight? The whole time or last couple weeks?

Also...why didn't James Toney and Eddie workout?

Chad usually does good 2-3 month Camps here before a fight. And he's always in condition, as I've said before he has more trouble adding weight than taking it off.

One thing about Eddie is this, he'll train guys who other trainers won't. Like Wes Ferguson and Duncan Dokiwari, who he has now and both formerly had other trainers. Also like Chad. So Eddie will take a wayward guy (like Toney), but the rule is you've got to be in-shape at least, and you've got to pay him of course. Eddie's kinda gangsta about his money.

But to hear Eddie tell it, it had more to do with James' lack of discipline at the time in-terms of being in condition. If you consistently perform poorly in sparring, or gas-out, that's the sort of thing that will turn Eddie off. Right now I think his best pupil is Aaron Williams, they really seem to click right.

Ray Arcel was the king IMHO. Futch is a very close second.

Eddie being gangsta about his money tells me him and Wes are perfect for eachother.

Also...thanks for the Toney heads up. I don't blame Eddie. I feel as if Toney taking a liking to Roach during his training for the Jones Jr fight is bullshit. He said the minute Freddie stood up to him he knew he was the guy for him however he hired Eddie before Freddie and after that incident happen. Seems like with Toney and Pacman, Roach lets his guys get away with a little more than your normal trainer. But thats me just looking in from the outside.

I need to see more of Willams in the future. I like Eddie's style as a trainer. I know you said he tip toes...but I thought he was great in Chad's corner vs. Johnson. He told him about dropping his hands and about combo and taking a step. He's like 3/4 trainer and 1/2 cheerleader like he's fought in championship fights or something :D

What's wrong with Roach? He has the number two P4P guy right now. He can't be doing that bad of a job. If Mayweather keeps up his current level of opposition, this will change soon enough (ala Fedor).

How can you compare the quality of opposition in their respective sports? (Mayweather and Fedor). Mayweather has faced Champions. Fedor isnt.

Back