Most knowledgable trainer

Tony Manifold

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The teddy Atlas thread got me thinking. Who are the trainers with the most boxing knowledge, the real technicians? Some trainers are good at helping people focus and others excel at saving fighters from themselves (and their "boys"). So who are the real (current) boxing geniuses?

Well I think you can take everyone that jumps in the spot light and chuck em out. They are all good, but they are also mostly built on the backs of naturally gifted fighters.. like Manny Steward for instance.

I think guys like Eddie Futch who didnt really jump in the spot light too much were the best. He didnt have to tell you anything. He just trained the fighters and let them show you how good he was.

I always wondered why so many boxers go to Freddie Roach

Granted I dont watch every single fight and I dont know who some of the lower weight class champs use, but it just seems everytime I see Freddie Roach in the corner, his fighter loses..............

Trainers are kind of like head coaches in football. I mean working the corner of the best fighter doesnt necessarily make u the best trainer.

if i were a fighter, id pick teddy atlas personally. He's all about business and isnt tryin to be a star.

Jessie Reid was one of the few to tame Johnny Tapia

Johnny Tapia...he might be next guy who's career I get on DVD

Cus D'amato during his time was well knowledged. RIP.

Johnny Tapia...he might be next guy who's career I get on DVD

I was there for Tapia-Romero. Great atmosphere.

I believe Eddie Futch was also in his corner for that fight.

I think Freddie Roach belongs in this category because he's kept Pacman's attention. And James Toney.

I always wondered why so many boxers go to Freddie Roach

Granted I dont watch every single fight and I dont know who some of the lower weight class champs use, but it just seems everytime I see Freddie Roach in the corner, his fighter loses..............

Trainers are kind of like head coaches in football. I mean working the corner of the best fighter doesnt necessarily make u the best trainer.

if i were a fighter, id pick teddy atlas personally. He's all about business and isnt tryin to be a star.

What's wrong with Roach? He has the number two P4P guy right now. He can't be doing that bad of a job. If Mayweather keeps up his current level of opposition, this will change soon enough (ala Fedor).

Hall of Fame Trainer Ignacio "Nacho" Beristain.

/end thread

I have a few no one has said Floyd Mayweather sr i think hes up there Rogers pretty good 2 i liked Teddy Atlas back in the day Kevin Rooney was also good i like Buddy Mcgirt as well

Buddy McGirt

<wait for it>

<wait for it>

<wait for it>

lol

Who did Jesse Reid train?

9 world champions

Paul Spadafora, Johnny Tapia, Tye Fields, Rodolfo Gonzales, Roger Mayweather, Bruce Curry, Gaby and Orlando Canizales, Frank Tate, Calvin Grove, Darrin Van Horn and Dingaan Thobela

Hall of Fame Trainer Ignacio "Nacho" Beristain.

Nacho churns out consistently good Fighters, but make no mistake, he's not the guy who taught Juan Manuel and Rafael how to Box. From Rafael's own words their Father is largely responsible for their skill levels, while Nacho's Chief role is their conditioning.

9 world champions

Paul Spadafora, Johnny Tapia, Tye Fields, Rodolfo Gonzales, Roger Mayweather, Bruce Curry, Gaby and Orlando Canizales, Frank Tate, Calvin Grove, Darrin Van Horn and Dingaan Thobela

By his own words, Jesse never trained Orlando, just Gaby. But don't forget Lamon Brewster for the 15 seconds he was a wrecking machine, against Golota and Krazniqui.

However, Jesse's not much of a strategist. You should know this. What he does is similar to what Lou Duva was known for. You'll be in SUPERB condition, and he's the biggest cheerleader for his Fighters ever. He even cheers his guys on with encouragement for a single punch they land in a round of sparring. "THAT'S THE WAY TO WORK THAT RIGHT HAND!!"

Most knowledgeable?

I'd have to say guys you don't often hear of. The most famous would be Freddie Roach, because he understudied Eddie Futch. Eddie and Bouie Fisher are the old school Elite IMO.

Kenny Adams and Dan Hause are BRILLIANT Boxing minds. If you click with him, Floyd Sr.'s an excellent trainer in all truth. He's one of the guys who is a better trainer than he was a Fighter. Eddie Mustafa's a good trainer who tap-dances the line between cheerleader and strategist. One thing he did excellent in the Dawson/Johnson fight was TELL Chad his second wind was kicking in. Not ask him if, but TELL him.

John David Jackson's a good trainer if one listens to him as well. Boza-Edwards is a good trainer in-terms of Boxing strategy as well. If Sam Peter saved himself by out-boxing McCline after the initial debacle in that fight, it can be attributed to Boza more than anyone else.

Nacho churns out consistently good Fighters, but make no mistake, he's not the guy who taught Juan Manuel and Rafael how to Box. From Rafael's own words their Father is largely responsible for their skill levels, while Nacho's Chief role is their conditioning.

By his own words, Jesse never trained Orlando, just Gaby. But don't forget Lamon Brewster for the 15 seconds he was a wrecking machine, against Golota and Qrazniqui.

However, Jesse's not much of a strategist. You should know this. What he does is similar to what Lou Duva was known for. You'll be in SUPERB condition, and he's the biggest cheerleader for his Fighters ever. He even cheers his guys on with encouragement for a single punch they land in a round of sparring. "THAT'S THE WAY TO WORK THAT RIGHT HAND!!"

Most knowledgeable?

I'd have to say guys you don't often hear of. The most famous would be Freddie Roach, because he understudied Eddie Futch. Eddie and Bouie Fisher are the old school Elite IMO.

Kenny Adams and Dan Hause are BRILLIANT Boxing minds. If you click with him, Floyd Sr.'s an excellent trainer in all truth. He's one of the guys who is a better trainer than he was a Fighter. Eddie Mustafa's a good trainer who tap-dances the line between cheerleader and strategist. One thing he did excellent in the Dawson/Johnson fight was TELL Chad his second wind was kicking in. Not ask him if, but TELL him.

John David Jackson's a good trainer if one listens to him as well. Boza-Edwards is a good trainer in-terms of Boxing strategy as well. If Sam Peter saved himself by out-boxing McCline after the initial debacle in that fight, it can be attributed to Boza more than anyone else.

What was Jesse Reids gym called that his fighters trained at?

I don't know that Jesse ever had a Gym. Right now he trains out of Top Rank in Vegas. He's one of the few guys who gets there as early as my partner and I do.

He's also trained in Cali a lot, and goes back-and-forth between here and Cali. Mr. Schatz up there worked with him at a Gym in Costa Mesa before.

Some other trainers do that as well.

Does Mayweather Sr even have his own gym?

Nope. Floyd Jr. does. Floyd Sr. can be seen mainly at Top Rank and Pat Barry's depending on who he's training.

He's funny, one day he told everyone this story about how he kicked Marcellus Brown's ass, and Marcellus was standing right there. Look up Marcellus on Boxrec and look at his physical stats.

HAHA 7ft tall heavyweight. 86" wingspan.

Mayweather Sr fought at welterweight right?

And Pat Barry's is in Vegas right? And do they produce some good fighters?

Back