Most important lifts for strength?

sambo fighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think the most important lifts for strength are? In my opinion the list goes like this.
1. Deadlift
2. Squat
3. Overhead Press
4. Bench Press
5. Bent Over Row
6. High Pull
7. Push Jerk
What do you think? I like the high pull and push jerk because there is less technique to learn. The deadlift is by far the most valuable in my opinion, but I want to hear what other people think.

It's a toss up between the squat and the deadlift, however research does show that the squat elicits the greatest secretion of testosterone and GH. Also, the world

ENTROPY said:
It's a toss up between the squat and the deadlift, however research does show that the squat elicits the greatest secretion of testosterone and GH. Also, the world

Entropy,

Would you consider the Good Morning in the top 10? I know Westside lives on GM's.

zakur said:

If past performance is any indication, then prepare to be buried in web links and journal citations. That big mafocka from Detroit doesn't pull quotes out of his ass.

sambo fighter said:
What do you guys think the most important lifts for strength are? In my opinion the list goes like this.
1. Deadlift
2. Squat
3. Overhead Press
4. Bench Press
5. Bent Over Row
6. High Pull
7. Push Jerk
What do you think? I like the high pull and push jerk because there is less technique to learn. The deadlift is by far the most valuable in my opinion, but I want to hear what other people think.
Good list. If I was to nitpick I'd like to say that bench press and bent over row are equal.

besides cock pushups...I would say the squat, deadlifts, cleans, snatchs, shoulder press, bend over row, dips, pullups, benchpress, and ab wheel in that order...

If you're talking about explosive strength, I would definitly add to your current list and include:

8. Power Snatches
9. Power Cleans

zakur said:

Schwab, R., G Johnson, T. Housh, J. Kinder, and J. Weir. Acute effects of different intensities of weight lifting on serum testosterone. Med Sci Sports Exercise 1993:25: 1381-1385

Hakkinen, K. and A. Pakarinen. Acute hormonal responses to different fatiguing heavy resistance protocols in male athletes. Journal of Applied Physiology. 74(2): 882-887, 1993

Kraemer, W. J. et al. Hormonal and growth factor responses to heavy resistance exercise protocols. Journal of Applied Physiology. 69(40): 1442-1450, 1990

Kraemer, W. J. Endocrine Responses to resistance exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 20(5): 152-157, 1988

Guezenec, Y., L. Leger, F. Lhoste, M. Aymonod, and P.C. Pesquies. Hormone and metabolite response to weight-lifting training sessions. International Journal of Sports Medicine 1986:7:100-105.

Smitty.Diesel said:
If you're talking about explosive strength, I would definitly add to your current list and include:

8. Power Snatches
9. Power Cleans

I believe that high pulls covers this. The Olympic lifts can be hard to learn and easier exercises can elicit similar results (unless the result is a better Olympic lift)!

bent over rows are that important? I do them i just didn't consider them as a big deal.

SpAzNeT said:
bent over rows are that important? I do them i just didn't consider them as a big deal.
They are definatly that important. They hit the whole back hard, traps included and they work bis, forearms, hams secondary. They are an incredible exercise. Keep doing them man, they are well worth it.

ENTROPY said:
Schwab, R., G Johnson, T. Housh, J. Kinder, and J. Weir. Acute effects of different intensities of weight lifting on serum testosterone. Med Sci Sports Exercise 1993:25: 1381-1385

Hakkinen, K. and A. Pakarinen. Acute hormonal responses to different fatiguing heavy resistance protocols in male athletes. Journal of Applied Physiology. 74(2): 882-887, 1993

Kraemer, W. J. et al. Hormonal and growth factor responses to heavy resistance exercise protocols. Journal of Applied Physiology. 69(40): 1442-1450, 1990

Kraemer, W. J. Endocrine Responses to resistance exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 20(5): 152-157, 1988

Guezenec, Y., L. Leger, F. Lhoste, M. Aymonod, and P.C. Pesquies. Hormone and metabolite response to weight-lifting training sessions. International Journal of Sports Medicine 1986:7:100-105.

It can't be said too many times...this man is a true asset to this board.

ENTROPY said:

man you are strangly amazing....Ive read some of your posts and they are impressive. Are you a textbook?

rickdog said:
Deadlift
Clean and Jerk
Squat
Bent Rows

I always felt that clean and jerk was more technique than strength
just my opinion...

i wouldn't say the clean and jerk was in the top 5, as id prefer to split up the movements, ie squats, deads , jerks. but its still a very very taxing lift if performed properly with a heavy weight. far more taxing than squats or deads. but for strength i believe in those two along with an overhead press, which also have great carry over to the c & j.

Back