Most CTE Damage Happens at Gym, Not During Fights

u did the exact same thing tho lol
ignore yourself

regarding the original topic: is this a troll post?? GRACIE CONCUSSION CHALLENGE sounds like brazilians are challenging you to smach your head as hard as you can and not get a concussion.
also rose gracie is not a neurologist, as far as i know...so what qualifies her to talk about this??? she asked a former WWE guy some stuff about concussions?????????????????????
Did you even read that poster’s original post? I doubt it. It had nothing to do with the OP, because he even said he didn’t bother reading it. I did, BTW.

One thing you see a lot of retards on this forum ignore is that CTE starts with “C” for “Chronic” meaning repeated over a long period. You get guys going “herr derr they’re gonna get CTE from that fight,” while remaining ignorant that CTE has been shown to develop from repeated concussions over a course of years. In fighting, that goes beyond the blows from a fight, and back into the gym.

not in the long run no. but it does help in the short term and thats a fact. and youre in a sport competing against hundreds of athletes who are willing to do whatever it takes to take a step forward right now. so what im saying is there is some degree of getting hit that is unavoidable if you want to be successful. and i think that level of damage is very very high. and necessary
Tony Ferguson does no sparring before his fights
Sparring, as a training method, has been overused to the point where people think you either spar hard or you won't learn
Should you get hit in sparring? Sure
Should you get nearly concussed everyday? No

Sparring should always be light and fighters should focus on drilling, imo.

The shitty part is that the only way to get better at fighting is by fighting. And when youre in the gym fighting youre going to be taking some pops. Newsflash, this sport is dangerous

That is clearly a lot of the reason why hard sparring is popular, you look back to the Pride era and you had loads of fighters who were incredibly good in high pressure situations because they had the experience of them in the gym.

Tony Ferguson does no sparring before his fights
Sparring, as a training method, has been overused to the point where people think you either spar hard or you won't learn
Should you get hit in sparring? Sure
Should you get nearly concussed everyday? No
tony ferguson kicks steel light posts. hes kind of a moron and i suspect hes a liar too lol

“They don’t understand what’s wrong with them, so they treat them for depression,” Gracie said. “Treatment for depression is a joke. You give them medicine to hide symptoms. You’re not curing the problem with depression; you’re just hiding symptoms. Then they give them something else on top of it.

Nice point about the state of depression treatment in the West, which is an utter failure and psychiatric hogwash.

You can develop callouses on your brain to prevent concussions if you train hard enough.

Mild Concussions Ignored Lead to CTE

Through research, Rose Gracie has grasped a deeper understanding of what it means to have a concussion – and even more importantly, what can be done to improve it. The daughter of Master Helio Gracie stressed that a lack of education is one of the biggest problems when dealing with a very serious issue.

“They don’t understand what’s wrong with them, so they treat them for depression,” Gracie said. “Treatment for depression is a joke. You give them medicine to hide symptoms. You’re not curing the problem with depression; you’re just hiding symptoms. Then they give them something else on top of it.

Unlike other sports, MMA has an unusual correlation to CTE. Since CTE develops after 20 years of repetitive impacts on the brain, many fighters encounter the condition while they are still fighting.

“The problem with other sports like NFL (or soccer), these guys are usually retired and long gone when these symptoms start popping up,” Gracie said. “With MMA, it’s very different because these guys started training martial arts at a very young age. And they usually have a wrestling background. They’ve had many years of training before they actually stepped into MMA.

“The symptoms are popping up either as they’re coming out of it or still kind of fairly known. So, I think you’ll bring a lot more attention to the disease right now for the simple fact guys are hitting big time CTE right now. Guys that were fighting 20 years ago. PRIDE day fighters. These guys, some of them are still fighting to this day.”

Contrary to popular belief, Gracie said she is not trying to take striking out of fighting. What she is trying to do, however, is erase the stigma that comes with unnecessary ‘toughness’ in the gym.

“The best way for me to approach this situation is not trying to stop punching everybody in the head,” Gracie said. “That’s not the goal. The goal is to educate people. The worst damage doesn’t actually happen at the fights. People think that, ‘Oh my God. This happened at the fight.’ The worst damage that happens to them is actually inside of the gym. And there’s not enough information for them to know, ‘OK, I just got knocked out,’ or ‘I just felt a little groggy,’ or ‘I just have a headache.’

“They are not even associated they could have possibly had a concussion unless they really flat out on the ground. Then their trainers will give them two weeks to come back, two months, or some will be like ‘Get up. Are you feeling okay? Continue training. What’s the matter with you?’”

To learn more about the Gracie Concussion Challenge, visit the Concussion Legacy Foundation.

-MMAJunkie.com

Yeah, I would also argue most CTE occurs in football players before they ever get to the NFL.

This explains Tito thinking he can beat Jon Jones. With that kind of head still fighting at that age having all those training camps on top of not knowing how to speak, I bet his brains look like lasagna.

That's cuz fighters spend the majority of their time in the gym training for a fight...it serves no indication that fighting is less likely to result in CTE

<seedat>

The idea is the fights take place in a controlled environment (refs, medical staff, commissions, etc.). Gyms? Not so much. So the point is to educate fighters so they know how to train in a way that’s more conducive their well being. It’s not about you train more than you fight so obviously that’s where most of the CTE comes from. It’s more like, “hey you just got rocked in training, let’s take a break from more head trauma for a bit”.

Just another Gracie trying to promote BJJ

Is normal
Ding ding ding! I thought the exact same thing as soon as I saw the surname.

*Hey, let's say how bad MMA is for the brain to show how safe BJJ is, we'll get more customers that way!*

u did the exact same thing tho lol
ignore yourself

regarding the original topic: is this a troll post?? GRACIE CONCUSSION CHALLENGE sounds like brazilians are challenging you to smach your head as hard as you can and not get a concussion.
also rose gracie is not a neurologist, as far as i know...so what qualifies her to talk about this??? she asked a former WWE guy some stuff about concussions?????????????????????

The same thing that qualified Cher to advocate for better shock absorbent helmets for American troops, you know....... a little reading and research. Through her advocacy, she actually got the army to invest in better helmets. No one looked at her and said, “what the fuck does she know about head trauma?” Maybe it’s a lesson for you to stop being such a hating prick. There are people out there actually trying to do good things for others.

The same thing that qualified Cher to advocate for better shock absorbent helmets for American troops, you know....... a little reading and research. Through her advocacy, she actually got the army to invest in better helmets. No one looked at her and said, “what the fuck does she know about head trauma?” Maybe it’s a lesson for you to stop being such a hating prick. There are people out there actually trying to do good things for others.
But Cher didn't have a conflict of interest like Rose Gracie does.

So much talk about CTE when you almost never can confirm it existed.

I think they have to cut you open after death to check for it.

maybe football players are just idiots and that's why they act like idiots after they retire.

Obviously. You only fight for like 30 total minutes a year. You spar like 3 thousand total minutes a year.

Truth. Stephen Thompson I believe spars light (except for dodge ball against kids lol) and he’s probably onto something.

Back