Most CTE Damage Happens at Gym, Not During Fights

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mild Concussions Ignored Lead to CTE

Through research, Rose Gracie has grasped a deeper understanding of what it means to have a concussion – and even more importantly, what can be done to improve it. The daughter of Master Helio Gracie stressed that a lack of education is one of the biggest problems when dealing with a very serious issue.

“They don’t understand what’s wrong with them, so they treat them for depression,” Gracie said. “Treatment for depression is a joke. You give them medicine to hide symptoms. You’re not curing the problem with depression; you’re just hiding symptoms. Then they give them something else on top of it.

Unlike other sports, MMA has an unusual correlation to CTE. Since CTE develops after 20 years of repetitive impacts on the brain, many fighters encounter the condition while they are still fighting.

“The problem with other sports like NFL (or soccer), these guys are usually retired and long gone when these symptoms start popping up,” Gracie said. “With MMA, it’s very different because these guys started training martial arts at a very young age. And they usually have a wrestling background. They’ve had many years of training before they actually stepped into MMA.

“The symptoms are popping up either as they’re coming out of it or still kind of fairly known. So, I think you’ll bring a lot more attention to the disease right now for the simple fact guys are hitting big time CTE right now. Guys that were fighting 20 years ago. PRIDE day fighters. These guys, some of them are still fighting to this day.”

Contrary to popular belief, Gracie said she is not trying to take striking out of fighting. What she is trying to do, however, is erase the stigma that comes with unnecessary ‘toughness’ in the gym.

“The best way for me to approach this situation is not trying to stop punching everybody in the head,” Gracie said. “That’s not the goal. The goal is to educate people. The worst damage doesn’t actually happen at the fights. People think that, ‘Oh my God. This happened at the fight.’ The worst damage that happens to them is actually inside of the gym. And there’s not enough information for them to know, ‘OK, I just got knocked out,’ or ‘I just felt a little groggy,’ or ‘I just have a headache.’

“They are not even associated they could have possibly had a concussion unless they really flat out on the ground. Then their trainers will give them two weeks to come back, two months, or some will be like ‘Get up. Are you feeling okay? Continue training. What’s the matter with you?’”

To learn more about the Gracie Concussion Challenge, visit the Concussion Legacy Foundation.

-MMAJunkie.com

Obviously. You only fight for like 30 total minutes a year. You spar like 3 thousand total minutes a year.

That's cuz fighters spend the majority of their time in the gym training for a fight...it serves no indication that fighting is less likely to result in CTE

<seedat>

That's cuz fighters spend the majority of their time in the gym training for a fight...it serves no indication that fighting is less likely to result in CTE

<seedat>
Went straight over your head.

It's always the miles fought in the gym that tires these guys out. Look what happened to the Chute Boxe guys like Wandy and Shogun.
Considering Wand has been going hard since 1996, he's actually in phenomenal health.

Obviously. You only fight for like 30 total minutes a year. You spar like 3 thousand total minutes a year.
Yea. Most fights are going to be worse, but you'll spend orders of magnitude more time in the gym. Even if you're not doing chute boxe bullshit "training" your chin, accidents and lower power shots still add up.

Mild Concussions Ignored Lead to CTE

Through research, Rose Gracie has grasped a deeper understanding of what it means to have a concussion – and even more importantly, what can be done to improve it. The daughter of Master Helio Gracie stressed that a lack of education is one of the biggest problems when dealing with a very serious issue.

“They don’t understand what’s wrong with them, so they treat them for depression,” Gracie said. “Treatment for depression is a joke. You give them medicine to hide symptoms. You’re not curing the problem with depression; you’re just hiding symptoms. Then they give them something else on top of it.

Unlike other sports, MMA has an unusual correlation to CTE. Since CTE develops after 20 years of repetitive impacts on the brain, many fighters encounter the condition while they are still fighting.

“The problem with other sports like NFL (or soccer), these guys are usually retired and long gone when these symptoms start popping up,” Gracie said. “With MMA, it’s very different because these guys started training martial arts at a very young age. And they usually have a wrestling background. They’ve had many years of training before they actually stepped into MMA.

“The symptoms are popping up either as they’re coming out of it or still kind of fairly known. So, I think you’ll bring a lot more attention to the disease right now for the simple fact guys are hitting big time CTE right now. Guys that were fighting 20 years ago. PRIDE day fighters. These guys, some of them are still fighting to this day.”

Contrary to popular belief, Gracie said she is not trying to take striking out of fighting. What she is trying to do, however, is erase the stigma that comes with unnecessary ‘toughness’ in the gym.

“The best way for me to approach this situation is not trying to stop punching everybody in the head,” Gracie said. “That’s not the goal. The goal is to educate people. The worst damage doesn’t actually happen at the fights. People think that, ‘Oh my God. This happened at the fight.’ The worst damage that happens to them is actually inside of the gym. And there’s not enough information for them to know, ‘OK, I just got knocked out,’ or ‘I just felt a little groggy,’ or ‘I just have a headache.’

“They are not even associated they could have possibly had a concussion unless they really flat out on the ground. Then their trainers will give them two weeks to come back, two months, or some will be like ‘Get up. Are you feeling okay? Continue training. What’s the matter with you?’”

To learn more about the Gracie Concussion Challenge, visit the Concussion Legacy Foundation.

-MMAJunkie.com
No one ever said this. Only a moron would think your brain is only susceptible to damage in bouts with cameras, an audience and pay on the line. Yes people get injured in practice.

wow groundbreaking information, will you tell us what color the sky is next?

I said this about Anderson and the Chute Boxe guys. Damn anderson was letting Bader and Big Nog tee off on him.

The shitty part is that the only way to get better at fighting is by fighting. And when youre in the gym fighting youre going to be taking some pops. Newsflash, this sport is dangerous

Just another Gracie trying to promote BJJ

Is normal

Came in, ignored the OP, and made a non point? Ignored.

The fuck do you care about it my guy? My statements entirely relevant to the title of the post dunno why you old men always so offended

<bball1>

tell that to ben askren ya dumb bitch. hope ya get into a car crash, ts. have a lousy day you piece of dick.

This is why football is so devastating, especially for the guys in the trenches. Every time you collide violently with another human, your brain takes some of that force. Between practice and games over several years, the amount of collisions is in the thousands if not tens of thousands for each of those guys.

Back