Most accomplished Olympian in UFC history?

My bad. Apparently I can't read this morning.

I will leave my posts up as a symbol of shame

Well, we are about to have a TKD medalist.
If he wins 3 fights, he's in this talk lol

DC is up there too (Olympian but no metal)
- 2 division champ like Couture in the UFC
- Stikeforce HW tournament winner

He's probably the most accomplished UFC/MMA champ who actually competed (not an alternate) in the Olympics. Yoel never won a belt in the UFC. He probably should have, when Bisping had the belt and got to fight a 46-year old Hendo and GSP instead of a top MW competitor, but it never happened.

Speaking of Hendo, his Olympic accomplishments weren't as good as Yoel's but he did more in the UFC and MMA, including winning an early UFC tournament in 1997.

But if you're asking who accomplished the most in the Olympics? Probably Mark Schultz.

The question says "Which UFC fighters are former Olympians and who is the most accomplished, overall, in the UFC?"

Schulz was indeed an Olympian, so at least you produce a proper candidate, unlike @Fedora Millionankles that brought a non-Olympian. But I disagree that beating Gary Goodridge qualifies as a bigger accomplishment in the UFC than being a two division champion, as Cejudo (I cannot reocgnize Towelman as a two-division champ since we know now that he was a roider like Jon, evven if Towelman went away with it).

Even measuring Olympic accomplisments I put Cejudo above Schulz. Schulz won his medal in the most watered down olympics ever, especially in wrestling, as most od the Easter Europe countries and Cuba boycotted the games in response for the USA's boycott on 1980.
The problem is the thread title and the first question by T.S. are asking two completely different things.

I nominate Olympic Silver Medalist Sara McMann

For the most UFC losses by an Olympian.

I really kept thinking she was going to rise, and she never did.

1701807444747.png

Yoel Romero's silver holds more weight than Cejudo's gold.

Deeper division.

He never really used It in MMA, but In terms of pure wrestling accomplishment at the olympics, probably him.
I have to agree! Henry won Olympic gold at 55kg (121.25 pounds)

Let’s be real here! You’d be hard pressed to find an adult male that weighs around 120lbs let alone one that competes in sports. Small talent pool!

Last edited:
If we are talking about accomplishments in both the olympics AND MMA then it would probably be Cejudo or DC. Romero deserves a mention, but he didn't accomplish as much in MMA as the other two.

Ronda Rousey. Olympic bronze. World gold. UFC title.
Kayla Harrison. Olympic gold x2. World gold. PFLtournament winner.

The question says "Which UFC fighters are former Olympians and who is the most accomplished, overall, in the UFC?"

Schulz was indeed an Olympian, so at least you produce a proper candidate, unlike @Fedora Millionankles that brought a non-Olympian. But I disagree that beating Gary Goodridge qualifies as a bigger accomplishment in the UFC than being a two division champion, as Cejudo (I cannot reocgnize Towelman as a two-division champ since we know now that he was a roider like Jon, evven if Towelman went away with it).

Even measuring Olympic accomplisments I put Cejudo above Schulz. Schulz won his medal in the most watered down olympics ever, especially in wrestling, as most od the Easter Europe countries and Cuba boycotted the games in response for the USA's boycott on 1980.
Semantically speaking, the title and the first post imply two very different things. Although the question asked was "Which UFC fighters are former Olympians and who is the most accomplished, overall, in the UFC?," the title asks "most accomplished Olympian," where accomplished is the modifier to olympian, not UFC.

So people are going to respond different ways to things that are differently worded

The problem is the thread title and the first question by T.S. are asking two completely different things.
Yes, sometimes amphibious questions can be tricky.​

Which UFC fighters are former Olympians and who is the most accomplished, overall, in the UFC?

Randy Couture:

3x Olympic Alternate in Greco Roman Wrestling. (88’, 92’, 96’)
UFC LHW Champ
UFC HW Champ
Oldest Fighter to win UFC Gold(45 yrs old!)

What are some others?
Most accomplished in ufc or most accomplished in olympics? Cause randy is the least accomplished olympian in UFC…

1- Cormier, double champ, multiple title defenses, beating high-level fighters (Anderson Silva, Miocic, Gustafsson, Rumble)
2- Cejudo, double champ via split decision vs Johnson and by Dillashaw being positive
3- Rousey, pioneer of WMMA but beating low-level fighters and losing vs Holm and Nunes

i don’t really follow wrestling, so fill me in: what’s the highest accolade or award you can receive in wrestling? is it a gold medal in olympics, world championship, ncaa, or something else? i know in some sports (e.g., boxing) gold medal is not necessarily seen as highest honor, even though it’s obviously impressive. in wrestling, is the gold medal the single greatest claim to being “the best in the world?”

certainly henry cejudo has to be the most accomplished olympian in ufc, although you could make the argument for ronda rousey based on her number of title defenses. of course rousey fought weaker competition, but she leaned more on her olympic skillset than cejudo did. honorable mentions for yoel romero and dan henderson for being two of the best never to win titles.

also, honorable mention to ben askren for setting the record for fastest ko.

Yes, sometimes amphibious questions can be tricky.​
These are simultaneously the most humorous and frustrating threads. People passionately argue for either question (most accomplished Oympian in Olympics or most accomplished Olympian in MMA) and both sides can be right...and wrong.

Which UFC fighters are former Olympians and who is the most accomplished, overall, in the UFC?

Randy Couture:

3x Olympic Alternate in Greco Roman Wrestling. (88’, 92’, 96’)
UFC LHW Champ
UFC HW Champ
Oldest Fighter to win UFC Gold(45 yrs old!)

What are some others?

Hendo medaled and he grabbed dub champ in PRIDE (Not easy task), Ronda medaled and grabbed a championships in mma.

Back