More Shin Splints

desertbake

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've used the search on shin splints and have done everything suggested...

I took 2 1/2 weeks off of running, rope skipping, and anything else I thought would be hard on my shins

I invested in expensive running shoes

I invested in floor pads to skip rope on

I've been doing calf exercises like toe raises, walking around the house on my heels, and calf raises with weight every other day for 2 1/2 weeks

I've done shit loads of stretching for my calves

...And now after all this I started skipping rope today again in my new running shoes and on my new floor pads and after about 4 minutes of rope skipping the part of my shins on the inside of my legs started hurting a little (not enough to make me limp) and a new super sharp pain I didn't have before started shooting down the front of my shin on my left leg almost like in spasms. So I iced everthing up for about 20 minutes, and took some ibuprofen.

So my question is, should I continue rope skipping but just take it easy or am I doing something else wrong? I haven't started running cause it's fucking hot in Phoenix, AZ right now and I don't have anything softer than concrete and asphalt to run on at the moment so I thought rope skipping on a floor pad would be about the easiest thing on my shin splints. Also, before I gave my shins the 2 1/2 week rest my shin splints had gotten so bad that they hurt constantly even when I was just sitting doing nothing.

Dude, I have the same problem. It just feels like bruises on my shins, but my friend on the football team had that and they told himhe couldn't play for 6 months due to the stress fractures, I didn't think it was THAT serious. It's taking way longer than a bruise for the pain to go away, I hope it does though it sucks. I was wondering if bikeing put a lot of stress on them?

just stop running or jumping rope for a month or so...

it takes time...

two and a half weeks isn't long enough...

I got them really bad when I first started running. I would take 2 weeks off and they would go away and then come right back as soon as I started running again. Then I would take a month off and the same thing happened. I just said fuck it and kept running and finally they went away. I think my shins just needed to get used to the impact of running. This probably won't work for everyone, just my experience.

Without running or jump roping my cardio starts to go to the crapper

Do low impact cardio to stay in shape while you rest your shins. Elliptical, bike, swimming, etc...

triggertap79 said:
I got them really bad when I first started running. I would take 2 weeks off and they would go away and then come right back as soon as I started running again. Then I would take a month off and the same thing happened. I just said fuck it and kept running and finally they went away. I think my shins just needed to get used to the impact of running. This probably won't work for everyone, just my experience.

This was my experience to, use some anti-inflammant gel.

I agree that you need to take more time off and let it heal. When you do start up again, cut way back on the amount of time that you jump/run, i.e. start with 1 minute of skipping. Then slowly increase the time, even if you feel fine, don't push it. Gradually, increase the time until you're back to four minutes. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, but you're just pushing beyond what your body has adapted to. As suggested, you can do other cardio exercises that don't stress your shins while you heal.

In wrestling we had to a 30 minute run every day before practice. For the first week or so i had bad shin splints, but i coulnd't skip the runs and eventually they went away.

Advil and calf stretches worked wonders for my shin splints!

I used to get the worst shin splints when I first started running, skipping rope ect...

I asked one of my trainers what I should do and he told me that Shin Splints don't exist in Russia.

Only in America where all we do is complain they can exist.

So for the next few weeks he said whenever my shins started to hurt to jump rope for 3-5, 3 minute rounds no matter how much it hurt. (sometimes I would feel like my legs would fall off)

And after 2 months or so they went away and I haven't had them since. That was like 2 years ago.

Eric O said:
I used to get the worst shin splints when I first started running, skipping rope ect...

I asked one of my trainers what I should do and he told me that Shin Splints don't exist in Russia.

Only in America where all we do is complain they can exist.

So for the next few weeks he said whenever my shins started to hurt to jump rope for 3-5, 3 minute rounds no matter how much it hurt. (sometimes I would feel like my legs would fall off)

And after 2 months or so they went away and I haven't had them since. That was like 2 years ago.

Are there any long term negatives to this approach?

desertbake said:
Are there any long term negatives to this approach?

My trainer is like 35 and has no problems with his shins.

when I asked my Dr he said there are 2 approaches.

If you have shin splints then strenghtening, Streatching, and rest is what he reccomended.

However if you have stress fractures then you have to stop doing everything.

Some people are just prone to shin splints, myself included. YOu will need to take some adequate time off from the caused of them and I also recomend putting your shins in an icey bucket of water immediatly after you feel theim.. To this frequently. Over time they should go away. Either that or learn to deal with them. Sometimes there is nothing you can do accept tough it out.

Back