more & longer rounds = pointless?

paperluigi0

White Belt
Reaction score
From a conditioning standpoint, isn't it sort of pointless for fighters to train 5+ rounds with <30 second rest, when they're only fighting 3 total rounds at most? Wouldn't you be training to fight at a 5+ round (aka slower) pace when you will be fighting at a 3 round (aka faster) pace?

"if they can fight 5+ rounds, then fighting 3 rounds will be a piece of cake!"

With that logic, shouldn't 800m runners train by doing 10k runs because if they can do 10k, then 800m will be no problem.

You logic isn't really all there. When fighters train for more rounds than not with less rest, they keep at the same pace as they would with the 3x5 min rounds. If 800m sprinters were able to keep the full sprint that they keep for the full 10k, then yes it would help them.

There's muscular endurance which is built in the longer rounds (lower output), lactic acid work (from the shorter rests) and when you go for the 3 rounders you have more ability to spaz out on the pads without the inevitable dead body. Then you just need to worry about the lungs

I kinda see what TS is getting at as some people will intentionally pace themselves knowing that thye have more rounds to complete, and therefore train at a slower pace.

To begin with i'd mimic round time/reps and reduce rest then once i can maintain the full pace all the way through, add another round in.

Depends though

I kinda see what TS is getting at as some people will intentionally pace themselves knowing that thye have more rounds to complete, and therefore train at a slower pace.

To begin with i'd mimic round time/reps and reduce rest then once i can maintain the full pace all the way through, add another round in.

Depends though

If thats the case thats why I like running as a supplement to sparring and pads.
You have a good way of gauging your progression and if you slack off you know it

No because you dont run 800m at the same pace as a 10k. But if you work upto being able to go all out for 5 rounds, then going all out for 3 rounds will be easy.

Also bear in mind training is supposed to be more difficult than the fight, because on the fight there are things like pressure and adrenaline which you cant really simulate in training so you need to train 'more' than how much youre gonna fight to kinda compensate for this Imo.

Does this hold true for sparring as well? If i am going be be fighting 3 two min rounds, is that what i should be sparring at?

From a conditioning standpoint, isn't it sort of pointless for fighters to train 5+ rounds with <30 second rest, when they're only fighting 3 total rounds at most? Wouldn't you be training to fight at a 5+ round (aka slower) pace when you will be fighting at a 3 round (aka faster) pace?

"if they can fight 5+ rounds, then fighting 3 rounds will be a piece of cake!"

With that logic, shouldn't 800m runners train by doing 10k runs because if they can do 10k, then 800m will be no problem.

i dont wanna be mean, but if your serious then your a fucking idiot.

Does this hold true for sparring as well? If i am going be be fighting 3 two min rounds, is that what i should be sparring at?

In theory yes, but the difference between a 2 minute round and a 3 minute round is not the same as a 800m to a 10km race.

I think 2 minute rounds are not very mentally challenging for sparring, padwork and conditioning, therefore Id suggest the 3m rounds. If you can keep up a good pace in 3 minutes then you should enjoy the 2 minute rounds when it comes to fight time.

However you also need to consider that a 2 minute round is going to be pretty much a sprint whereas a 3 minute round will be slightly slower pace. You dont want your opponent to 'steal' a round because you were using a 3 minute pace so get some sparring in with the 2 minute time and try and adapt to that too.

No, hes not an idiot. You should train for the amount of rounds you will be doing and make sure you pace yourself only for those rounds.

On the flip side, sparring and working for longer and extra rounds is a great way to get in shape. It all depends on how far out from the fight you are and what you need to work on.

3 5 minute rounds is not enough to train though.

If I'm sparring and getting ready for a fight I like to train with breaks.

Say I have a 3x3 fight coming up and I'm 1 month out. I'd rather spar 3x3 rounds, take a 5 minute break, then do another 3x3 set of rounds, take a break and do another. It's just like sprinting. Sprinters run the 100, recover, then run it again. They might do a few miles, but they take time to recover so they can go all out again for the 100.

If you are just going along without a fight coming up, you work as many rounds as you can to work technique

With a fight coming up, alternates between the above method and a long round robin sparring session, where you spar a fresh person for 20-30s for a round, 1 min off then back to it again for 5-9 rounds.

You get used to blocking when you're absolutely fucked then (and you learn how to dig deep when fresh people start spazing on you because they are stil fresh)

TS u dont know much about training im guessing, 5k runners train by running some runs of more than 10 miles. u need to increase ure lactic acid, create more muscle, and muscle endurance, and thats what it does for them

Spar and hit the bags for more rounds then you will fight. Period. You should be able to go 6-8 rounds at near full throttle anyway.

Back