More like a "real fight": Gi or No Gi

That's only partially true. Even an untrained person, if they can get a hold of your clothes and you don't know how to grip fight taking them down might be harder than you think. On the ground I do think the differences matter less.

I always found it ironic that the Brazilians who fought on the beaches in speedos were always all about the gi in training but Americans who would basically always have clothes on in a fighting scenario are much more into no-gi relatively speaking.
I think it has a lot more to do with marketing and sales :)

As for the question, to Gi or not to Gi, of course it depends on where you live.
Gi is always a lot easier to control opponent (hockey guys dont need to learn grip fight to beat the shit out of you, while barely keeping balance).
On the other hand, NoGi is a lot more physically demanding and is a lot better for gross movement rephlex.
Do both.
But for the lovers of the "realistic" fighting, what everyone has in common is actually very particular part of the clothing- the belt. Learn how to control the belt (hips).

Last edited:
If you can control someone without cloths, you sure as hell can control soemone whos wearing something, many people get too much gi dependant games, once the gi is off, their jiu jitsu goes down dramatically.

This

Reminds me of a buddy who explained to me that "pajama rolling" is a better nomenclature for no gi. After all, board shorts and a T-shirt or being shirtless is more like what you sleep in than a Gi.

In a real fight scenario, I don't think use of the Gi or being comfortable No-Gi really is secondary to a few other factors, the most important being actually training BJJ to apply to real fighting.
From my viewpoint, a Jiu Jitsu player's game drastically decreases once strikes are involved, if they don't train it.
The first time I trained BJJ with strikes with an amateur MMA guy with 5 or 6 fights, it was an eye-opening experience for me and changed the way I look at grappling.
The second factor is takedowns. Real fights don't start with both combatants starting on their knees. A large number of Jiu Jitsu beginners (White, Blue, and early Purple Belts) lack the ability to "work their games" because they can't get the fight to the ground.
Third factor is having "the heart to fight". There are many unknowns to street fighting and it can be scary, if you weren't raised fighting from living in a rough neighborhood, having older siblings to scrap with etc. A lot of trained martial arts beginners freeze up when the fight is on.

As others have said,
1) smart people who street fight take their shirt off first.

2) pace is much more consistent with a real fight than the pace the gi is trained in.

3) lets be real, you fools aren't collar choking anyone in a street fight, you are either doing nogi submissions or punching

4) you really need grips to fight your untrained opponent? You better be taking off your shirt because all its gonna do is slow you down from the "domination" most of you bjj guys believe you will be unleashing on him.

Last edited:
Depends where you live and what the weather is. Winter time? Sure, you'll have someone fully dressed. Summer time? I'm doubtful that a collar choke will work with someone's $15 walmart t shirt. You'll look more like a rapist than a fighter after you rip the guy's shirt off.

But anyway, I advocate both. A no gi guy fighting a fully clothed guy will still fight like a no gi guy. The gi guy fighting someone with minimal clothing for grips is still going to use his BJJ.

After getting my first taste of gi, it's like comparing rugby to football. Very similar but very different sports. I think people should train both to be a well rounded grappler, but I also think it's really up to the person to do what they prefer. I still prefer no gi, but I respect the gi now. It's all a matter of preference.

completely agree with your post.

I recently made the switch to GI after nine years of NOGI and it's more of a shock or unsettling to advanced belts at the new gym when you start tapping browns and blacks with relative ease esp non competition hobbyist brown and blacks with your white belt on lol.

I never act smug like some guys who when you start rolling obviously have extensive Judo, or wrestling backgrounds yet act or even say they don't then I sit there thinking "why is this fool lying for no reason?!?!" small rant if you wrestled through high school and college or are a Judo black belt just say so when you start BJJ.

No need to act like you're the shit naturally or the second coming of BJ Penn if you have a lengthy Judo or wrestling back ground just say it. Personally I have no problem telling guys before we roll that I've been grappling in one form or another for over twenty years so don't take it light on me and my whitebelt.. either way I prefer NOGI because imo there's something un masculine about grabbing someone's clothes (GI) for dear life.

maybe its the wrestler in me oh well my two cent ....wish there was a NOGI place nearby to train.

For everyone saying a t-shirt will just stretch or rip...one of Draculino's guys (the name TOTALLY escapes me right now. Piddly, Pudgy, P-dog something?!) did an entire video series on treating the t-shirt like a gi. A sort of "street" grappling series where his opponents had sloppy looking concert t-shirts from some 80's hair band on. Worked just fine if you get enough of it. I want to say he was even weaving his hand up through the neck hole and going for some modified Ezekiel style choke? I'll post a link if I can find it.

As others have said,

2) pace is much more consistent with a real fight than the pace the gi is trained in.

3) lets be real, you fools aren't collar choking anyone in a street fight, you are either doing nogi submissions or punching

4) you really need grips to fight your untrained opponent? You better be taking off your shirt because all its gonna do is slow you down from the "domination" most of you bjj guys believe you will be unleashing on him.
LOL

Been talking about that kind of people for awhile now.

Call them the "1.5 people"

How to recognize them?

-to get their IQ you take their age x 1.5

-average people make 1.5 times their salary in 1.5 less hours a week

-in 1.5% of times, i am wrong about this

Joke aside, just the first sentence seals your whole post : "smart people" and "who street fight".

Just vote Trump

LOL

Been talking about that kind of people for awhile now.

Call them the "1.5 people"

How to recognize them?

-to get their IQ you take their age x 1.5

-average people make 1.5 times their salary in 1.5 less hours a week

-in 1.5% of times, i am wrong about this

Joke aside, just the first sentence seals your whole post : "smart people" and "who street fight".

Just vote Trump
I have no idea if you are agreeing with me or dissing me

As others have said,
You are not very smart if you have time to take your shirt off.

The better question would be, does the fight take place in summer or winter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back