More like a "real fight": Gi or No Gi

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BrainBar, Feb 11, 2016.

1. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

Had a really simple but interesting conversation with a training partner today. He's a police officer and a decent blue belt. I've always kinda thought no gi was a little more realistic to a real fight. Who goes around wearing gis on the street right?

He said "At work I've never had to fight naked people or people who's clothes I can't grab". So simple but a great point. He showed me how everyone says you can't collar choke a t shirt....but you can. Use fingers to ball up the clothe and it gets thick. I knew this with a gi but especially with a t shirt...the grip is to anchor the hand...choke with the forearm not the clothe. Amazing how effective it was.

Blue jeans or shorts? Incredibly easier to control someone with grips on those than the no gi style of not being allowed to grab clothe.

So....unless you're planning to street fight at a nudist colony......gi may be the more realistic way to go. Just no donkey or lapel guard!!

2. 71Fish

71Fish Orange Belt

People wear jackets in the winter time, except the cool kids who think it's cool to freeze.

3. BrainBar

BrainBar Orange Belt

True. Most "real fights" involve, and allow, clothing to be grabbed.

kenetics likes this.
  4. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

If you can control someone without cloths, you sure as hell can control soemone whos wearing something, many people get too much gi dependant games, once the gi is off, their jiu jitsu goes down dramatically.

biscuitsbrah, D Train and Se4n like this.
  5. RabbleRowser

RabbleRowser Yellow Belt

Never really bothered me to be honest.

6. Ton

Ton The master of Potato Plata

Yup. Agreed. I think it's important to train both.

7. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

8. TheGZA

TheGZA Excellent! But not good.

9. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

That's only partially true. Even an untrained person, if they can get a hold of your clothes and you don't know how to grip fight taking them down might be harder than you think. On the ground I do think the differences matter less.

I always found it ironic that the Brazilians who fought on the beaches in speedos were always all about the gi in training but Americans who would basically always have clothes on in a fighting scenario are much more into no-gi relatively speaking.

10. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Depends where you live and what the weather is. Winter time? Sure, you'll have someone fully dressed. Summer time? I'm doubtful that a collar choke will work with someone's $15 walmart t shirt. You'll look more like a rapist than a fighter after you rip the guy's shirt off.

But anyway, I advocate both. A no gi guy fighting a fully clothed guy will still fight like a no gi guy. The gi guy fighting someone with minimal clothing for grips is still going to use his BJJ.

After getting my first taste of gi, it's like comparing rugby to football. Very similar but very different sports. I think people should train both to be a well rounded grappler, but I also think it's really up to the person to do what they prefer. I still prefer no gi, but I respect the gi now. It's all a matter of preference.

Jack Handy jr and biscuitsbrah like this.
  11. freaky

freaky Banned Banned

Sometimes especially in the summer the guy will take off his t-shirt before fighting.

Even if they keep their shirt on, if it's the stretchy kind or the really cheap kind then there goes your grip. Pretty much all shirts stretch to some extent, so I don't like to grab it especially if it rips.
    No-gi has no down side

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  12. Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane Purple Belt

Neither is more like a real fight. You can have a real fight against people with or without clothes to grab. If anything it depends on where you live.

13. JustTheTip

JustTheTip Green Belt

NoGi more realistic because of the grips(regular Tshirts pale in comparison to Gis) but mostly because of the pace of NoGi is so much closer to the pace of a "real fight" than Gi.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  14. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

Most "real fights" between a trained grappler and some random idiot I have seen on internet are mostly controlled domination.

15. freakroor

freakroor Purple Belt

NoGi is better if you fight people on the beach

Gi is better for fighting people in the mountains, or in a nightclub

Otherwise it depends on the weather

16. winterbike

winterbike Blue Belt

What's the proper etiquette for a beach fight? Is throwing sand in the eyes frowned upon?

17. mike sherry

mike sherry Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

nogi, obviously. doesn't mean you have to be clueless in a gi situation but the training split should be like 50/50 until you become competent enough in the gi to do like 80/20

noguiera himself said if you plan to fight mma to focus on nogi. of course if you live in a cold environment it changes things, but gi fabric is still significantly different than clothing people wear. nogi grips are always there, period

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  18. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Both techniques and tactics are applicable, its not like if you've been doing no-gi all your life, when the time comes you'll be clueless when the assailant wears clothes. Same system, different variation.

Also, as one of the earlier posters said, its not more like a real fight either. Lets be real, it doesn't exactly sound like a real fighting system when there isn't any form of striking offense / defense; Unless taken alongside a mma school with one.

19. Gorbag

Gorbag Banned Banned

Only time when you fight sweaty semi nude people are in the octagon, the beach or in some gay sauna!

Having clothes on when fighting will make stuff less slippery and yes people instinctively grab clothes in street fights, just go and watch it on YouTube...

20. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Nogi is more realistic.
    Overspecial isation with gi can be a problem.
    Definetily, adding some nogi training is a must.
    The days of training gi to improve your nogi skills are long gone.

You always see it when a strong new guy comes in and you force him to put a gi jacket so you can easily control him.

biscuitsbrah and D Train like this.