• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

More impressive: Jones beating Gane or Silva beating Forrest ?

If you were around when Silva fought Forrest, you'll remember how it blew everyone's mind. Not "I'm impressed" but "I can't believe my eyes".

Doesn't even come close to Jones doing a quick takedown and an awkward guillotine over a non-grappler.

Neither were more impressive than any of their wins at lower weight classes because they were favorable matchups and the opponent underperformed.
Jones' win over Cormier and Silva's win over Hendo both strike me as more impressive.

By far. Hendo was the Pride double-champ. Cormier also won belts in two divisions (although the LHW belt is only because Jones was gone).

I would pick Jones over Gane. Despite the fact that Griffin won a championship, I still believe he was an over achiever, and not that great of a fighter. Gane on the other hand, was one of the few HW's that really looked like he was in shape. He could move well, and has a dynamic striking game. When Ngannou bowed out, I thought Gane would be a bigger challenge to Jones. Moves well, younger, and would negate Jones reach advantage. Jones ended up winning like he was fighting an amateur! Silva obviously made Griffin look like a fool too though, and both fighters were impressive. Two of my all-time favorite fighters.

Forrest was coming off a Rashad induced concussion

and right before that, had arguably lost a decision to Rampage (it was very close, contested decision)

No one expected Griffin to become a dominant elite, he was a Jan type overachiever champion and that's why he was popular with regular Joes, while the A-level athletes from Sherdog felt more of a kinship with Ciryl Gane, who was touted as the best at HW since a long, long time.

He was the next HW GOAT, it seemed as much of a lock as Rory MacDonald becoming the next WW champ after GSP... <DCrying>

So yeah, obviously Gane>Griffin <Fedor23>

Forrest fought like he was underwater. I think Silva would probably have still beaten him but he was better than what he was able to show in this one.

Forrest hands were always slow, which in front of a guy who was able to read and slip Belfort's punches made him look like he was underwater.

I honestly would like to see how Gane performs going forward before answering this question. His grappling was just SO bad in that fight that I can't really tell if it was Jones being excellent or him just being terrible. Jon hasn't wrecked 205'ers like that in a LONG time.

I guess I'd pick Anderson for now but that could change.

I think the Forrest fight was more impressive since we know how good his striking is.
Gane on paper was a great test but he really shit the bed and fought scared.

Forrest was capable of striking with Shogun, Rampage and Evans. Those guys were absolute animals, people gloss over Forrest's career like it's a fluke but he was elite despite having some weaker wrestling defence. Griffen battered Rampage's leg, won a war with Shogun and was able to out strike Evans.

I’d say Silva vs Forrest was more impressive since Anderson fought to his strength and still made him look silly.

Gane was more hyped beforehand but I think based on an overselling of his grappling.

Forrest was I think more prooven as a striker than Gane was a grappler.

But Jones because Gane >>> Forrest.
Not really. Forrest actually had a ground game, if not a great one. He could hold his own there better than Gane. Forrest was a more well-rounded fighter even if he wasn't as good of a striker.

As much as I liked Forrest, he was never a great fighter in terms of ability. He had tons of heart and will, but he wasn't fast, strong, powerful, or technical.
He was good at a lot of things, just not great at anything in particular. He did have good leg kicks when he used them.
He benefitted as much as anyone from a weird time at light heavy.
His marquee wins are over Shogun, a questionable decision over Rampage (I think I had it for Forrest when I watched it, but can't really remember), and the TUF finale.
His bad losses which are sprinkled throughout his career in the UFC are KO losses to Silva, Rua, Evans, and Jardine.
The man was a fan favorite, just not elite.

Gane's resume is much more impressive with notable wins over Rozenstruik, Volkov, Lewis (KO), and Tai (KO).
Only loss was a Decision to Francis.

I like Forrest, but most people knew that he was being set up as a lamb for slaughter by fighting Silvia.
His striking was miles behind Silvia and he was slower than just about anyone Silvia had fought and he didn't really have KO power.

One was a title fight, the other wasn't.

That's your answer right there.
it is not really Silva's fault Forrest didn't have a belt in a weak division though. in 10 years no one is going to be like Gane legendary UFC Heavyweight Champion. jones stumbled upon a beatable HW champ like GSP stumbled upon Bisping

it is not really Silva's fault Forrest didn't have a belt in a weak division though. in 10 years no one is going to be like Gane legendary UFC Heavyweight Champion. jones stumbled upon a beatable HW champ like GSP stumbled upon Bisping

All HW champs have been beatable. Remember the hype when it was so amazing that Stipe defended two times in a row or was it three?

Back