Monsen,White,Haueter,Glover,Cooper,Gazzy compete @ Western Regionals Portland Oct 8th

World Grappler

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This will be the 1st Premiere Tournament held in the North West. There are over 100 preregistered competitors. Please come out to make it a sucess! Jeff Glover, Jeff Monsen, Jay White, Chris Haueter, Bill Cooper, Katie Weilbacher, Gazzy Parman and many others will be making the trip to compete.

For those unfamilar, Portland is a beautiful city close to the Pacific Ocean and very close to Canada, Washington, Idaho and Northern California.

NAWR_400x530_flier.jpg

Complete info at: grapplingtournaments.com

Download Event Package here: http://grapplingtournaments.com/tournforms/nawr/WesternRegionalsPackage.doc

Online Registration: http://onthemat.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=28

Airline tickets are inexpensive through travelocity.com

Southwest is also running a special with 7 day advanced purchase.

To Portland, OR from: southwest.com
$109 one-way, to/from Albuquerque, NM
$99 one-way, to/from Burbank, CA
$109 one-way, to/from El Paso, TX
$89 one-way, to/from Houston Hobby, TX
$119 one-way, to/from Indianapolis, IN
$99 one-way, to/from Las Vegas, NV
$99 one-way, to/from Los Angeles, CA
$69 one-way, to/from Oakland, CA
$119 one-way, to/from Oklahoma City, OK
$99 one-way, to/from Ontario, CA
$109 one-way, to/from Phoenix, AZ
$58 one-way, to/from Reno/Tahoe, NV
$98 one-way, to/from Salt Lake City, UT
$99 one-way, to/from San Diego, CA
$69 one-way, to/from San Jose, CA
$119 one-way, to/from Tulsa, OK

Come earn more RATED points now! The season is wrapping up and your chance to be in the 2005 history books is nearing its end.grapplingratings.com

2000 Southeast Century Blvd.
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123

I believe it is at Century Highschool. A lot of recent grappling events have been held there. I plan on going to at least watch. I doubt I will compete.

I find the rules at these competitions a joke sometimes. Seriously, i train leg locks all the time, and know TONS of them for the hip/knee/ankle....both straight and twisting leg locks. In fact leg locks are about 50% of the submissions available. But for some reason, you can crank the shit out of a guys arm/shoulder in anyway imaginable....BUT God forbid you even touch his legs. What the hell is up with that. At all levels in this tournament, Except Advanced.....you can only do a straight ankle lock.

Not even an inside toe hold (very safe, and very similar to a straight ankle lock) can be done until the intermediate levels. I can somewhat understand the no neck cranks, etc. ....But they don't even want "slicers" done, or wrist locks. You're telling me a bicep or calf slicer is MORE dangerous than a fully cranked kimura?????? You're telling me that any kind of straight arm bar is allowed but NO WAY can you do a straight knee bar, as if somehow this is different.....Seriously...

You can limit heel hooks for advanced, but most of the other leg locks including a basic knee bar should be allowed at all levels....Either that, or you should rename the sport from sub grappling, to "upper body submission grappling", which would be far more appropriate.

see the "rules" below:

""""Illegal Techniques:
Children

Watering down the submissions you can do sucks ... I can see in a beginers division not allowing some toe holds,ankle locks,etc but in the advanced everything should be O.k. (execpt neck cranks) .

I never understood why slicers aren't allowed, are they that dangerous?

there is no restriction to what level you join. If you been practicing all those things I think you should def be in advanced open.

As for the new white belts in my school who have never done any martial art or wrestling in their life. They have trained less than six months; why would I want to set them up against a sand baggin pecker head who will injure them and put them out of the sprot for 6 months to a year.

Not everyone is as hard core street thug killer like yourself. Some of us go back to work on monday and we just want to do a competition where we can have fun and play a sport. Thats why we are only blue belts or intermediate level competitors.

There is nothing in the rules that limits a person with only 6 months of trainign form joining any higher group of competition.

Big Red said:
I never understood why slicers aren't allowed, are they that dangerous?

slicers are a deceptive kind of thing where as people wont tap then theyll get admitted to the ER later that night with a broken bone. There are certain types of submissions (most notably finger locks) that wont really end the fight when you are all adreniline rushed but afterwards it can be a life long injury. IMO not worth a shinny little medal for.

I hope to be competing at their event in L.A. in December. Being that it'll be my first tourney, I don't mind the rules all that much. From what I understand, your legs don't hurt until something is injured.

Besides, worse case scenario, I'd rather have a broken arm than a broken leg.

Everything is legal in the advanced divisions. Everyone is welcome to move up a division and play with the more experianced grapplers.

In the intermediate toe holds ect are legal.

Leg locks are very deceptive. The only leg lock you feel pain before damage is the straight ankle lock. All other leg locks dont really lead you to believe a injury will occur till it to late.

There is no greater buzz kill at a tournaments then seeing someone carried off in a strecher. When the guy are ready to move on from sport grappling to FIGHTING, cage fights are everywhere. Till then its all about a hankshake and a good time.

We dont want to see people get hurt in our events. We want everyone to have a good time and WALK back into work on Monday morning.

Like I said earlier, IF you rely on leg locks and want to use them we welcome you in the advanced divisions!

Hope to see you all there!

Well, I can feel a knee bar coming on pretty strong and am smart enough to tap when I get caught in one...

LCDforMe said:
Well, I can feel a knee bar coming on pretty strong and am smart enough to tap when I get caught in one...

Your right, the knee bar you can feel a little pressure but still there is no pain like the straight ankle lock.

I wholeheartedly agree about leg locks being practical and needed in grappling tournaments.

Our organization has been throwing tournaments since 1997 and we were the FIRST legitamate tournament to allow kneebars and toeholds in the purple belt and above divisions despite getting alot of heat from a ton of other blackbelts. We didnt give in, lost some support from the traditional BJJ schools and kept trucking on.

Well we hope you can all make it out!

World Grappler....I appreciate the response regarding leg locks. I understand where you're coming from. But i do have to disagree with you on some points. The point i do agree on is the heel hooks, and not being able to feel serious pain until damage is done. But the other stuff i disagree that you cannot feel pain until damage is done. For example a Calif Slicer i don't feel is that dangerous. You can feel the pain unless the guy cranks on it like mad. By the way, on a bicep and calf slicer the danger is not really in breaking a bone, but rather in "opening up" the joint in an abnormal way. In a way, almost popping the joint apart because you put something solid in the joint area then try to cram the whole thing shut with pressure.

Oh, and by the way, i still favor renaming the sport to reflect the limited nature of submissions, where 99.9% of all sub opportunities are on the neck/arms areas, and where many people are primarily point fighters.

Your right about pain on the slicers, but not enough for most to want to tap. The problem with them is the persons pride or ego keeps them from tapping. I ve seen 3 guys in different events have their bicep muscle torn off the bone. Two of the guys the muscle was a big ball at one end of the arm. I have not seen anyone damaged from calf slicers, though I have heard stories. The rules are constantly evolving. We are far from closed minded and are always evolving and are very open minded.

we appreciate your input and will probably add slicers to intermediate. We are in the process of writing and publishing a universal rule book. a copy will be mailed to all academies and be available online by early next year. Keep the input coming!

ichimonji said:
slicers are a deceptive kind of thing where as people wont tap then theyll get admitted to the ER later that night with a broken bone. There are certain types of submissions (most notably finger locks) that wont really end the fight when you are all adreniline rushed but afterwards it can be a life long injury. IMO not worth a shinny little medal for.

Good point(s). A lot of the banned locks are because the amount of pressure applied means that by the time pain comes and the guy knows it is time to tap the damage has already been done. Especially with "twisting" locks compared to straight hyperextensions.

Or so it seems to me.

how much for the seminar???? And what top team quest guys will be there. I know Randy is in Vegas alot. And Dan is in California. I wonder if they will show?

Ill find out about the seminar.

Not sure if Randy will be there but ALOT of guys from quest are going.

Back