1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Monsen,White,Haueter,Glover,Cooper,Gazzy compete @ Western Regionals Portland Oct 8th

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by World Grappler, Sep 16, 2005.

1. FightJunkie White Belt

This event is gonna be off the hook!

2. aaron_mag Purple Belt

I wish I wasn't going to be out of town. I'd like to do it 'for fun and a handshake' as you say. Maybe your next event.

And I'm just glad someone takes the time and effort to offer things like this for us recreational grapplers. Some of the guys at our school are going to do it from what I understand.

3. World Grappler Yellow Belt

Cool Aaron,

We hope you can make the next one. You know how many from your school plan on attending?

4. FightJunkie White Belt

5. World Grappler Yellow Belt

Here is the medal. The gray areas are cutout and recessed areas will be black enamel colorfill.

1st-3rd places recieve medals.

Artwork of fighters courtesy of http://superaction.com

[​IMG]

6. aaron_mag Purple Belt

I think two for sure. Plus the one woman in the class. All good people with great attitudes. They have really been looking forward to it and trying to convince the rest of us to do it.

7. World Grappler Yellow Belt

Cool we look forward to having you all out!

2 more weeks, train hard!

8. World Grappler Yellow Belt

Check out these crazy cheap flights to Portland, OR!

$39 to/from Boise, ID
    $89 to/from Burbank, CA
    $89 to/from Las Vegas, NV
    $89 to/from Los Angeles, CA
    $69 to/from Oakland, CA
    $89 to/from Ontario, CA
    $89 to/from Phoenix, AZ
    $63 to/from Reno/Tahoe, NV
    $47 to/from Sacramento, CA
    $69 to/from Salt Lake City, UT
    $89 to/from San Diego, CA
    $69 to/from San Jose, CA
    $39 to/from Spokane, WA

Must book today 9/23/05 BOOK NOW!
    southwest.com

This will be the 1st Premiere Tournament held in the North West. There are over 100 preregistered competitors. Please come out to make it a sucess! Jeff Glover, Chris Haueter, Jay White, Jeff Monsen, Bill Cooper, Katie Weilbacher, Gazzy Parman and many others will be making the trip to compete.

grapplingtournaments.com

9. FightJunkie White Belt

10. World Grappler Yellow Belt

11. batman69 Purple Belt

hey i'm going up on friday for this one, anyone know a good place for me and 7 other guys to watch the ufc?

12. FightJunkie White Belt

Im trying to find a place myself. If you find out let us know.....

13. batman69 Purple Belt

anyone know of a spot to watch the ufc in portland yet?

14. batman69 Purple Belt

all right i am sitting in the motel drinking coffee and looking for a brazilian steakhouse in portland. i just got through with the tournament. last night i when i looked at the brackets i decided since there were only two people in my weight class and one in the one above me that i would compete in both. then when it came time to go they called both at the same time and it turned out that i had to fight twice in each class and they wanted the matches to go one after another. they were nice and put a match or two in between mine so i got some breathers. i won all four, three by points and one by submission. my whole team did well and i enjoyed myself but the reffing could have been sharper. i saw stuff that was uncool. one kid got tapped by a move that they had said was off limits but when his coach pointed it out they just shrugged and the kid said whatever let it go i don't want to be a whiner. saw points not awarded when they should have been. but other than that it went very cool. that is all for now, wish me luck in my quest for all you can eat brazilian steak.

15. daddyherc White Belt

I thought that I was going to have to work on Saturday, so I didn't plan on competing. Then, on Saturday morning, I found out that I wouldn't have to work, so I cut about 6lbs to get down to the 200-210 Men's Advanced weight class. I showed up around 5:00, paid my $70 and weighed in. To my dismay, there were no other competitors at my division, so I bumped up into the 210+ Men's Advanced. My first match was with a wrestler from the University of Oregon named Elias Soto. I had gone with him before at another event and choked him unconscious with an anaconda. I got him with the same choke about 1 minute into the match, but he tapped rather than going out. My second match was with Jeff Monson. It turned into an all out war that lasted at least 15+ minutes. We went for the standard 6 minute period, the 1 minute overtime, and then around 10 minutes of sudden death overtime. I was able to get to his back 3-4 times. However, the rules required that you get both hooks in and hold them in for 3 seconds before you could score. I was unable to get more than one hook in due to Monson's excellent defense. I also got to front headlock positions a number of times, but was unable to sink any chokes in. The guy really doesn't have a neck! Neither one of us was able to score a point until Jeff got to cross sides on me after a lengthy scramble. While I was pleased with my performance, it killed me to have gotten that close with a 2 time Abu Dhabi champion and not come away with the victory. I give all the credit in the world to Monson.

16. LCDforMe Purple Belt

I was working the stop watch at the Tapout mat for the No Gi division. Maybe some of you saw me there. I didn't see Monson there but I saw Haueter and Lindland and a few others I think.

17. daddyherc White Belt

Our match was on the TapOut mat. It wasn't until 7:00pm or so. Maybe you had already left.

18. LCDforMe Purple Belt

Man, did it really go on that long?? I took off at about 4:15 or so because I was going to eat dinner with my brother. I was there at about 11 or so till 4:15ish. Overall, pretty good tournament.

19. daddyherc White Belt

Yeah, it really did run that late, but ours was the last match.

20. ichimonji Blue Belt

I feel real sorry for the people that left early. Your match with Jeff was by far the best match of the entire day. You both played very very well. I havent seen Jeff struggle so much just to keep someone from scoring. At one point you have your second hook on but it was over his arm and therefore no score. Jeff really knows the rules of the game. You were both definately winners of thie fight because you both exploted each others weaknesses. At one point towards the end you were kinda sugar footing your lead right foot almost dangling it as bait. I was kinda surprised that Monson didnt go for it. .. but then again you are great at stuffing the shot.

I think I like the way the tournament kept that fight for the end because it motivates people to stay all day. some were there from 9 am till 7 pm ... IMO well worth the 70 dollars.

people may be talking about this fight for a long time ... I cant wait for the video.