Money Mayweather vs Tommy Hearns

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Verint, Aug 12, 2019 at 6:39 AM.

1. Verint

Verint Venum Red

I specified Money Mayweather because I think Pretty Boy Floyd, despite the increased punching power and speed, was too small to be competitive with Hearns.

The Floyd that beat Canelo's ass vs the Hearns that sent Duran to space.

Fight takes place @ 147

I've got Hearns via 7th rd TKO

Yourstepdad likes this.
  2. Gambit MMA

Gambit MMA Silver Belt

3. BluntTrauma21

BluntTrauma21 Broner Brody / Pulev Posse

4. defjaam

defjaam Beltless

Robinson could be a tougher match up.

Come to think: Robinson vs Hearns would be a terrific fight, and I'd pick the man with the higher ring IQ here.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 8:39 AM
  5. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

Hearns, but I’m too biased to make a rational judgement in this fight

Codpiece likes this.
  6. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I always thought Hearns was one of the worst fantasy matchups for Floyd I could think of. Hearns was sort of a total package, he could box and punch. He knew how to pick apart a slickster.

Floyd always found a way to win but I struggle to imagine what his game plan would be in that one.

7. BluntTrauma21

BluntTrauma21 Broner Brody / Pulev Posse

I've always thought he'd have to take the SRL approach and try to get in the pocket/inside and try to outfight Tommy. I think Floyd could touch his chin but it wouldn't be easy. I agree terrible match up for him overall.

8. SandaKicker

SandaKicker Yellow Belt

Leonard described fighting that version of Hearns as "the closest thing to death" he had experienced in a boxing ring.

Leonard was bigger and faster than Money Mayweather in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe Mayweather would make it to a decision given his physical disadvantages.

Ancient Warrior likes this.
  9. borntoloseNOT

borntoloseNOT Brown Belt

I agree, Hearns was so complete. When he was on, he was unstoppable. He outboxed the people who were supposed to be able to outbox him, he could switch it up seamlessly and take back over when his elite opponents try plan B. His chin is about the only thing you could question.

10. Ancient Warrior

Ancient Warrior Gold Belt

I think Mayweather would get on his bicycle and be unable to get off.

I can’t decide if he’d make it to a decision or not, but if he does go the distance, it’ll be because he abandoned any hope of winning. He can’t do what Leonard did. He doesn’t have the firepower first of all and we haven’t really seen Floyd go through a gut check like that.

Codpiece likes this.
  11. Lots

Lots Blue Belt

Very bad matchup for Floyd. He can’t rely on his usual reach advantage. Won’t be able to pot shot and move away from a rangy, mobile guy like Hearns.

I don’t think he has the power to hurt Tommy.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  12. aries

aries Silver Belt

Hearns would be the first boxer to stop Floyd. Floyd has nothing for Hearns other than great defence but that will only take him so far.

13. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

Kenny would be giving Floyd the Khan treatment.

[​IMG]

14. Blazeblack

Blazeblack Green Belt

Don’t like that fight for Floyd. The power he had at lightweight didn’t really follow him up into 147 and 154. I think Floyd would have to hurt Hearns and make him respect his power to mount any kind of an effective game plan. I suppose Hearns could punch him self out but it wouldn’t take more than a couple clean shots for Floyd to find himself in serious trouble. Don’t see Hearns giving Floyd any time or space to recover the way Shane did.

15. UnicornNinjas

UnicornNinjas Blue Belt

I give it to Hearns in a UD 6 maybe 7/10 times. Tommy was 23 when he moved up to 154, yes the power and speed were there but he wasn't even in the same league IQ/experience wise and that's saying a lot for a guy who didn't necessarily show the best tactical decisions even in his later career. It's an uphill battle for Floyd but his game runs so deep that I think he can make enough adjustments to give Hearns problems and see the final bell and make it competitive at points. I struggle to see him getting stopped.

16. hiphopnazi

hiphopnazi Brown Belt

Hearns with his reach and long jab would just be too much for Floyd to get the decision. Hearns jab would throw out Floyd's shoulder role and rhythm which will prevent him getting rounds in the bank. Neither guy is getting finished and it'll go to decision.

17. mrsenor

mrsenor Black Belt

even roger knows thats a bad fight for floyd

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  18. Streeter

Streeter Black Belt

Floyd wouldxage him out. No chance May would fight Leonard or Hearns. The 80s truly was the best years of boxing ..... JCC Hearns Durran SRL Tyson Holmes Hagler Pryor ...... others. Be great if we get another era like that all around

Sir Punchalot and cocksure like this.
  19. IGotAHugePeckah

IGotAHugePeckah Brown Belt

I think this is probably the worst matchup for Floyd at 147.

People talk about Ray Leonard and Duran beating Mayweather at 147, and I just don't see that at all.

But Tommy with his boxing skills, length and power I think would have a great chance. I don't think he'd KO Floyd, but I think he could win a closely contested decision.

But in the end I would probably go with Floyd UD, simply because Tommy at 147 was not as experienced and didn't have the ring IQ that Floyd did. Floyd was obviously much older and wiser at 147.

20. Confucamus

Confucamus Last of the V8s Platinum Member

I don't think there's any fighter from history you could say would definitely beat Floyd, as I think he is one of the best ever and always found a way to win. But Hearns is on this small list of fighters I believe would have the best shot.

nac386 likes this.