Money Mayweather vs Tommy Hearns

Oh btw Mayweather also handled DLH, who was a more skilled outfighter to Hearns

Head to head, I think Hearns would be too much. On an ATG list, obviously Floyd. We have to keep in mind that Floyd really topped out his size as a welterweight (even though he fought at JMW) while Hearns was a giant at welterweight that ended up a cruiserweight. They are entirely different sized people.

Spot on.
I was a middleweight as a pro which makes me a naturally bigger man than Floyd by about two inches & 10 or 15 pounds. But, when I met Tommy Hearns he dwarfed me. It was like I was standing next to a heavyweight.
Hearns would have been way too much human being for Mayweather to handle physically & he would have been too much of a technician for him to handle skills-wise. And, that's not even taking into account his massive edge in power.
Hearns via KO inside 5 or 6 rounds.
IMG_20170926_150143.jpg

The 90s were pretty damn good too, especially around these weight classes. Thank God for YouTube, where I can watch all the fights I missed back then, and of course rewatch lots of fights too. So much high level, beautiful boxing. We didn't know how good we had it.
What are some of your favourites? I don’t watch as much boxing as most folks in here so I’d love some pointers on great fights to watch.

What are some of your favourites? I don’t watch as much boxing as most folks in here so I’d love some pointers on great fights to watch.

Quartey Vs De La Hoya and Vargas vs Trinidad are two classics around this weight range in my opinion.

Oh btw Mayweather also handled DLH, who was a more skilled outfighter to Hearns
Yeah and how do you think that old past it weight drained version of ODH would have done against prime Hearns? Hearn's would have wrecked him. Fuck look what Manny did to that version of ODH.

Hearns would be the worst possible match up for Floyd. I’m not so sure he KO’s Floyd because he is a very smart fighter, but I believe it would be one sided... 118-110 kind of fight.

Floyd would sleep Tommy just like this.

Hearns via stoppage. Worst possible stylistic and physical matchup for Floyd.

A much taller boxer puncher with a significant reach advantage and great hand speed + one punch KO power to boot.

Yeah and how do you think that old past it weight drained version of ODH would have done against prime Hearns? Hearn's would have wrecked him. Fuck look what Manny did to that version of ODH.

Weight drained? JMW was perfect for oscar. WHat weight class should he have fought in, at that stage?

Last edited:
Weight drained? JMW was perfect for oscar. WHat weight class should he have fought in, at that stage?
Well he was 34 years old and had contested Hopkins 3 years before that at MW so what do you think? It wasn't as bad as against Pac but it certainly didn't help him.

Well he was 34 years old and had contested Hopkins 3 years before that at MW so what do you think? It wasn't as bad as against Pac but it certainly didn't help him.
I think JMW was perfect for him

Even the fight with bhop was a catchweight of 158

I always thought Hearns was one of the worst fantasy matchups for Floyd I could think of. Hearns was sort of a total package, he could box and punch. He knew how to pick apart a slickster.

Floyd always found a way to win but I struggle to imagine what his game plan would be in that one.
Which is why this match up is so good.

Floyd's IQ vs Hearns' superior physical abilities

Which is why this match up is so good.

Floyd's IQ vs Hearns' superior physical abilities
Hearns was also a good technician though. Thats what made him different than a guy like say, Paul Williams.

I got to go with Hearns because of the size difference. I think Floyd is better tho, and Hearn's chin is questionable. If Floyd could get the timing down, he could counter and hurt Hearns. He has the speed, timing, and accuracy to do it. His power is also underrated.

I would still pick Hearns without a doubt, if I had to bet.

I think Trinidad vs Hearns would be an epic fantasy match up.

Floyd by decision

It would be the toughest challenge of his career, but I am convinced that his lizard brain would find a way to shapeshift and adapt

How good was Hearns in lighter weight classes against guys who had a massive self preservation and speed akin to Floyd?

Spot on.
I was a middleweight as a pro which makes me a naturally bigger man than Floyd by about two inches & 10 or 15 pounds. But, when I met Tommy Hearns he dwarfed me. It was like I was standing next to a heavyweight.
Hearns would have been way too much human being for Mayweather to handle physically & he would have been too much of a technician for him to handle skills-wise. And, that's not even taking into account his massive edge in power.
Hearns via KO inside 5 or 6 rounds.
View attachment 631095

He's got those giant shoulders. Then you see him put on weight later and realise the guys huge..

I got to go with Hearns because of the size difference. I think Floyd is better tho, and Hearn's chin is questionable. If Floyd could get the timing down, he could counter and hurt Hearns. He has the speed, timing, and accuracy to do it. His power is also underrated..

Problem is Floyd is only throwin one punch at a time. Same dilemma for Roy Jones jr stylistically.

Last edited:
Back