Media Molecular test for mild traumatic brain injuries and concussion called ‘breakthrough device’ by FDA

Dr Sharp and Dr Jenkins verbatim wrote "there is no consensus on the definition of concussion" and its in black and white that is both the spirit and letter of their publication. Full stop. They also provide a valid source on this to illustrate it is a concept held by many peers. Any dancing around that is frankly inaccurate.
I'm not dancing around it. I don't disagree this. I questioned it's relevancy to the actual discussion not the veracity.

Seems according to who? It is two years older (in a bleeding edge area of science) than Dr Sharp and Dr Jenkins publication and they provided another link to a more recent source from a major publication.
To me...?

Again, look at the very first link TS provided. He was parroting what was published in the article, which does make a distinction between concussion and mTBI.
Sure. And its a secondary source as far as I can see. The second link, which seems to be the press release from the company, so 'll consider it a primary source, does not make any such distinction. I shouldn't have said "TS" in the quoted portion, I should have said "the authors". Because again, why would I read that article, when the press release from the actual company is right there.

The more interesting thing to discuss. Ultimately, any forthcoming test that can accurately predict markers for CTE is going to have an impact on all contact sports.

In the case of MMA, its going to be up for consideration - eventually - regarding medical clearance once adopted by any major licensing body. Most of them have reciprocity, so if eg NSAC enables additional testing, it will have a ripple effect.

Further out that will likely change how practice is run, which we are seeing some of those changes in American football the last 5 years, it will likely continue down that path in all contact sports.

The changes we are seeing in football, at least as far as I can tell, have to do more with general public as well as player knowledge about CTE putting pressures on the league. But in terms of actual new information, this test doesn't seem to do anything that would drastically alter the perception or policies surrounding CTE. This test, by the the source, can accurately diagnose people with concussions. Okay. The more interesting part is that it can tell us something interesting about severity and prognosis - but what exactly seems to be unclear.

However, in terms of actual practice with combat sports - there is no mystery here, they all have concussions or sub-concussive events all the time. Like you get hit in the head, you're experiencing brain trauma. If you get hit in the head a bunch, you're increasing your likelihood for long term issues, and if you get hit in the head for a living you're probably going to get CTE. Like you're probably more likely than not to have some degree of it.

This test has more to do with the individual, and any data from it that would have an affect on policy would be decades out after enough time with the relevant population to develop actual meaningful statistics. And at that point, we are in agreement OF COURSE there would be changes to full contact sports, because what I stated in the previous paragraph wouldn't change. What changes policy is education, which takes time - and there are already many interesting studies, meta-analyses, and other work on this topic further down the pipeline which I would expect to provide interesting data, which would lead to education, which would lead to change before this one would.
Which is my point.

Also.
If you respond, for the love of god don't do the piece by piece response where you split up the quotes, that shit is obnoxious. I'm not interested in an antagonistic debate, or an argument about semantics. If you want to argue that MTBI can be practically defined as different than a concussion in a way that is relevant to individuals based on the fact that there is not consensus on the terms, sure. Okay. I'll concede because the argument is silly in the first place and that's not what I was getting at with my original post.

And as far as the more relevant portion at the bottom of my post, I'm just sharing what my opinions are - you are more than free to disagree with them, I'm not interested in asserting that I'm 100% right.

9Z4FGMe.jpg

I make a point of not editing the titles of articles in order to not misconstrue/misinterpret it.

Perfect example: there was a thread not long ago that said a particular study proved that chokeholds cause brain damage, but it was two different n1 studies for one person who was an active duty soldier (they receive concussions in combat) and another person who'd been training MMA for over a decade (where you could get concussions in sparring). However, not only did the article say that it wasn't proven, in the article title it used the word "suggests" which has a much different connotation than the word "proven", and the latter of which is what the TS had used in the thread title.

I understand, I wasn't trying to be antagonistic, I was just interested in the reasoning. But i get it, and I remember the thread you're referring to so I see your point.

I understand, I wasn't trying to be antagonistic, I was just interested in the reasoning. But i get it, and I remember the thread you're referring to so I see your point.
I know, I didn't interpret it that way, I just wanted to expound on my rationale ;).

I understand, I wasn't trying to be antagonistic,

LOL

My friend, this was a fun one, truly. I like how you respond to "because its verbatim the title of the article" with anything other then "whoops."

Back