Media Molecular test for mild traumatic brain injuries and concussion called ‘breakthrough device’ by FDA

Found the guy who didn't read the article. TS is quoting the source, which says verbatim:

"A portable test to help people suspected of having concussions or mild traumatic brain injuries has received a boost from the FDA."

It isn't his distinction, clearly it is the authors. That is just how they described it for clarity. Why would you comment (or even have an opinion) if you didn't bother to read the material?

What?
My confusion is the use of the word 'and' in the title, not the use of the word 'or' in the article. And and Or.
I don't even have an issue with the TS, I just wanted to know why he used that distinction.
Also if you're referring to the Bloodelbow article, no I didn't read it. I'm not interested. I didn't click the link.
I read this one: https://brainboxinc.com/brainbox-so...to-aid-in-concussion-diagnosis-and-prognosis/

what do steroids have anything to do with this?
Nothing. But if this testing goes mainstream it could end up with fights being canceled or with some fighters no being able to get a license due to a brain injury.

The pro-steroid fans get pissy when a fight is canceled due to a failed test so they will probably get pissy if a fight gets canceled because of this.

I am pro-steroids. I don't know why I would hate this. Fighters will still choose to fight. LOL
Unless a fight gets canceled or a commission won’t license them due to a brain injury.

What?
My confusion is the use of the word 'and' in the title, not the use of the word 'or' in the article. A

It is an interesting topic, lets discuss it some.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4453625/

Let me hand pick an excerpt for by Dr Sharp (neurologist) / Dr Jenkins (clinical research fellow, Imperial College London) regarding their subsection "current definitions of concussion"

"There is still no universal consensus regarding the definition of concussion. The 2012 Zurich Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport proposed that concussion and mild TBI should be viewed as distinct entities.20"

This will be the beginning of the end for combat sports, football and rugby.

It will take a couple of more generations, but I would expect youth participation rate to drastically fall.
This seems right to me. I was listening to Askren today, a guy whose schtick includes, “I didn’t take a single punch in 2018” (although to me it looks like he gets his face beat in routinely, but that’s not the point), and he is already slurring his words and showing the effects of brain damage.
In my perspective, as someone who recently suffered irreversible brain injury, 90 percent of these guys are brain damaged. This new gizmo they invented will just make incontrovertible, what is already obvious to the rest of us.

It is an interesting topic, lets discuss it some.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4453625/

Let me hand pick an excerpt for by Dr Sharp (neurologist) / Dr Jenkins (clinical research fellow, Imperial College London) regarding their subsection "current definitions of concussion"

"There is still no universal consensus regarding the definition of concussion. The 2012 Zurich Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport proposed that concussion and mild TBI should be viewed as distinct entities.20"
I'm not sure this is relevant, because the article we're discussing defines them as the same thing (Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, commonly referred to as a concussion)
This seems to be the more relevant quote of the article you provide
"In contrast, recent American Academy of Neurology guidelines for sports concussion in 2013 do not separate concussion from mild TBI, defining concussion as “a clinical syndrome of biomechanically induced alteration of brain function, typically affecting memory and orientation, which may involve loss of consciousness”. However, they noted a lack of consensus in the use of the term, with an overlap in the use of concussion and mild TBI." Which I don't use because it supports my point, but because this seems to me to be closer to what Non academics (read as practitioners and/or providers) use to define the term (Source: Anecdotal).

Now if you want to argue that the TS separated the two terms with the use of "And" because he does not believe a consensus has been reach, and though the primary article discussing this new test does not make a distinction - he believes that there is an interest difference between the two that is worth noting even implicitly... Then fine, lol that's why I premised my original comment with "I'm confused"

In fact I can even agree that the distinction is noteworthy in this case because concussions are diagnosed symptomatically - and this test goes beyond that in a new interesting way that it IS infact worth separating the terms.

But I still contend that I don't see the effect this has on MMA, at least not in any way that is relevant or interesting unless we're hypothesizing decades out - at which point I think its reasonable to assume we would know more about bran injuries that full contact sports would already be affected in other ways.

Excellent!

OTOH, your favorite fighter may not only pull out of a fight, he may announce his retirement one day before the bout taking place.

I'm not sure this is relevant, because the article we're discussing defines them as the same thing

Dr Sharp and Dr Jenkins verbatim wrote "there is no consensus on the definition of concussion" and its in black and white that is both the spirit and letter of their publication. Full stop. They also provide a valid source on this to illustrate it is a concept held by many peers. Any dancing around that is frankly inaccurate.

This seems to be the more relevant quote of the article you provide
"In contrast, recent American Academy of Neurology guidelines for sports concussion in 2013

Seems according to who? It is two years older (in a bleeding edge area of science) than Dr Sharp and Dr Jenkins publication and they provided another link to a more recent source from a major publication.

Now if you want to argue that the TS seperated the two terms with the use of "And" because he does not believe a consensus has been reach, and though the primary article discussing this new test does not make a distinction

Again, look at the very first link TS provided. He was parroting what was published in the article, which does make a distinction between concussion and mTBI.

But I still contend that I don't see the effect this has on MMA, at least not in any way that is relevant or interesting unless we're hypothesizing decades out - at which point I think its reasonable to assume we would know more about bran injuries that full contact sports would already be affected in other ways.

The more interesting thing to discuss. Ultimately, any forthcoming test that can accurately predict markers for CTE is going to have an impact on all contact sports.

In the case of MMA, its going to be up for consideration - eventually - regarding medical clearance once adopted by any major licensing body. Most of them have reciprocity, so if eg NSAC enables additional testing, it will have a ripple effect.

Further out that will likely change how practice is run, which we are seeing some of those changes in American football the last 5 years, it will likely continue down that path in all contact sports.

First USADA, and now this. Bring back 40 year olds with the T-levels of Greek gods who don’t give a damn if they can remember anything by 50

This will be the beginning of the end for combat sports, football and rugby.

It will take a couple of more generations, but I would expect youth participation rate to drastically fall.

I thought there already was a steep decline in youth participation in football. While slow I think the decline is picking up faster.

Lol no worries, I was genuinely curious
9Z4FGMe.jpg

I make a point of not editing the titles of articles in order to not misconstrue/misinterpret it.

Perfect example: there was a thread not long ago that said a particular study proved that chokeholds cause brain damage, but it was two different n1 studies for one person who was an active duty soldier (they receive concussions in combat) and another person who'd been training MMA for over a decade (where you could get concussions in sparring). However, not only did the article say that it wasn't proven, in the article title it used the word "suggests" which has a much different connotation than the word "proven", and the latter of which is what the TS had used in the thread title.

It won't stop combat sports
AC's know that boxing gives brain damage, they still sanction it
Same with football
It's fighter's/athlete's choice

Back