Modern fighters sometimes...

Elbow flare is definitely an issue with many of today's fighters. Bad habits like that are hard to break.
They didn't seem to have a problem in the eighties, boxing has definitely regressed. People don't even know what bottling up means anymore. Canelo would get boowed out of the Madison square garden in the twenties. Probably get shit throw at him...

Sorry bout tagging you into shit when I'm trolling @sweetviolenturg but I really believe boxing isn't what it used to be. Inoue as good as he is, would get eatin' in the seventies (he's too confident in his power and exposes himself early, as donaire proved)

No worries, bro. Tag me as often as you like.

And, you're spot on, there are a lot of fundamentally unsound boxers in the upper echelon of our sport today. Many of whom put on exciting fights but who would have been ruined by some of the fighters of the past.

a lot of things are missing and not all of them technical. I only watch boxing today if i get excited. fury wilder was exciting even though i know they are far from what I grew used to seeing. Pac excited me a lot even though i know how much he's missing, most of the others just disgust me because, well because, i love the sport.

But but modern sports science and weight cutting. I mean look every other has progressed…

If rocky marciano fought today he would be a middle weight getting koed at 167 by floy Mayweather jr.

Not really, I blame it on to much slapping at pads.

Spot on. There's a whole generation of bootleg Mayweather clones out there who do nothing but chicken wing lead check hooks and throw wide right hand counters right now.

That might work for you if you're as physically gifted as Teofimo lopez, but for everyone else it means you're going to get hurt.

There's too much of a focus on padwork, on instant gratification in training right now. People aren't learning proper footwork, how to roll and take punches, etc.

Its almost as though fighters don't fight all exactly the same.

I read this thread title as "modern fighters fight sometimes," and was liked yeah, that's one of the reasons that makes them unable to get a lot of big attention, because there is less media buzz throughout the year. It also let's them use PED's more as they are often tested in camp. It also means there experience curve is lesser and their bility to take a loss makes them different than fighters from back in the day.

Overall, most of today's fighters lack something from all of this.

But, yeah, I've seen what you see, too. And a tendency for them to push their punches more than they should at the "highest level" of the sport.

No worries, bro. Tag me as often as you like.

And, you're spot on, there are a lot of fundamentally unsound boxers in the upper echelon of our sport today. Many of whom put on exciting fights but who would have been ruined by some of the fighters of the past.
And you can't think of any guys from the past who had less than perfect technique?

I've always wondered how fighters like frazier would stack up in todays heavyweight division

And you can't think of any guys from the past who had less than perfect technique?

Oh, tons, bro. In the heavyweight division alone there were contenders like Tommy "Hurricane" Jackson, Chuck Wepner, Renaldo Snipes & so many others. I wasn't saying that it's a phenomenon that's exclusive to the modern era. It's just that there's a lot more of it today than I recall there being in the past. With a big part of the problem being a shortage of good, well-schooled, experienced trainers & coaches these days. There are a lot of guys running around carrying buckets with towels over their shoulders but not enough real teachers left to go around IMO.

Oh, tons, bro. In the heavyweight division alone there were contenders like Tommy "Hurricane" Jackson, Chuck Wepner, Renaldo Snipes & so many others. I wasn't saying that it's a phenomenon that's exclusive to the modern era. It's just that there's a lot more of it today than I recall there being in the past. With a big part of the problem being a shortage of good, well-schooled, experienced trainers & coaches these days. There are a lot of guys running around carrying buckets with towels over their shoulders but not enough real teachers left to go around IMO.
So the joke goes, if you want to be a trainer nowadays, just throw a towel over your shoulder and start shouting instructions.

Back