MMA's Welterweights: UFC vs "The Others"

SuperBadAzz

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
As we know, worldwide MMA is a frowned upon discussion in these parts, so I figured I'd correlate the talent of other organizations vs the UFC..

If all other organizations joined together, they could make for a very solid top 10.. Lets compare.

The UFC's top 10 WW's are (& I know it's debatable):

Hendricks
Lawler
Lombard
Woodley
MacDonald
Brown
Condit
Kim
Ellenberger
Saffeidine

Compare that to the top 10 best of the rest:

Askren
Shields
Lima
Palhares
Koreshkov
Burkman
Fitch
Hawn
Carl
McDonough

That's not a bad list.. Sure the UFC looks better on paper, but head to head I think you've got some tough challenges..

So my question is.. What record (10-0, 0-10, 5-5, etc.) would the UFC go in this situation?:

Askren vs Hendricks

Shields vs Lawler

Lima vs Lombard

Palhares vs Woodley

Koreshkov vs MacDonald

Burkman vs Brown

Fitch vs Condit

Hawn vs Kim

Carl vs Ellenberger

McDonough vs Saffeidine

Is 5-5 for "The Others" outside the realm of possibility? I'd say absolutely not..

palhares is a killer, He looked great at ww against a true tough out. He could sub anyone on any given day. Too bad he has mental issues

9-1/8-2 UFC, imo
Agree.
SuperBadAzz said:
Is 5-5 for "The Others" outside the realm of possibility? I'd say absolutely not..
I think it is. But the WW outside of UFC is pretty solid for sure. Really puts into perspective how ridiculous the statements of "185-265" are the best divisions when there's barely any good fighters outside the UFC except Okami and Khalidov.

I believe Lima beats a lot of guys in the UFC top 10

Fitch, palhares, askren and shields would all beat most half of the most of ufc welterweight division

So my question is.. What record (10-0, 0-10, 5-5, etc.) would the UFC go in this situation?:

Askren vs Hendricks

Shields vs Lawler

Lima vs Lombard

Palhares vs Woodley

Koreshkov vs MacDonald

Burkman vs Brown

Fitch vs Condit

Hawn vs Kim

Carl vs Ellenberger

McDonough vs Saffeidine

I'd say 8-2 or 7-3 in that situation. I'd have Hendricks over Askren, but I'm not sure how many (if any) other guys on the UFC side I'd pick over Askren.

Agree.I think it is. But the WW outside of UFC is pretty solid for sure. Really puts into perspective how ridiculous the statements of "185-265" are the best divisions when there's barely any good fighters outside the UFC except Okami and Khalidov.

Who says that? Seems to me like WW and LW have been overwhelmingly considered the best/deepest divisions for years. LHW gets some props, but MW and HW are overwhelmingly considered the weakest weight classes.

I believe Lima beats a lot of guys in the UFC top 10
Off his back? nah
SocraticMethod said:
Who says that? Seems to me like WW and LW have been overwhelmingly considered the best/deepest divisions for years. LHW gets some props, but MW and HW are overwhelmingly considered the weakest weight classes.
I mean, I couldn't name any specific examples right now, but as I read the heavies and browse FB, etc. I've just seen some truly inane comments from people about how 185 or 205 are the most stacked, which basically all just boils down to people assuming that a weight class being top heavy means that it's brimming with legitimate title contenders when in fact the opposite is true.

Just going by the media aggregate rankings on the UFC website, you have a guy like Feijao who will never sniff the title ranked #12, and you have a 43 year old right hand and a chin at #7 plus three middleweights in Sonnen, Belfort and Te-Huna also adding imaginary depth.

It gets really funny when people claim that HWs are the best fighters, because they could beat every other weight class in a street fight :icon_lol:

I want to see Lima vs. Condit really badly.

Off his back? nahI mean, I couldn't name any specific examples right now, but as I read the heavies and browse FB, etc. I've just seen some truly inane comments from people about how 185 or 205 are the most stacked, which basically all just boils down to people assuming that a weight class being top heavy means that it's brimming with legitimate title contenders when in fact the opposite is true.

Just going by the media aggregate rankings on the UFC website, you have a guy like Feijao who will never sniff the title ranked #12, and you have a 43 year old right hand and a chin at #7 plus three middleweights in Sonnen, Belfort and Te-Huna also adding imaginary depth.

It gets really funny when people claim that HWs are the best fighters, because they could beat every other weight class in a street fight :icon_lol:

Oh, OK. Fair enough.

Shields already beat like four of the ufc's top ten.

As we know, worldwide MMA is a frowned upon discussion in these parts, so I figured I'd correlate the talent of other organizations vs the UFC..

If all other organizations joined together, they could make for a very solid top 10.. Lets compare.

The UFC's top 10 WW's are (& I know it's debatable):

Hendricks
Lawler
Lombard
Woodley
MacDonald
Brown
Condit
Kim
Ellenberger
Saffeidine

Compare that to the top 10 best of the rest:

Askren
Shields
Lima
Palhares
Koreshkov
Burkman
Fitch
Hawn
Carl
McDonough

That's not a bad list.. Sure the UFC looks better on paper, but head to head I think you've got some tough challenges..

Askren vs Hendricks

Shields vs Lawler

Lima vs Lombard

Palhares vs Woodley

Koreshkov vs MacDonald

Burkman vs Brown

Fitch vs Condit

Hawn vs Kim

Carl vs Ellenberger

McDonough vs Saffeidine

Anything is possible but more than likely the B team all get finished.

The best of them are on the real downside of their careers (Shields, Fitch)and Askren would get fucked up by Hendricks quick-smart.

A long ass time ago - as far as i'm aware, this isn't a prime vs prime debate.

Shields is no worse now than he was then.. Granted the guys he's beaten have improved. Shields was cut because he wasn't entertaining. His status as an elite fighter isnt in question. He still beats the bulk of UFC WWs. Honestly, Lombard & Hendricks are the only top 10 WWs I'd pick to beat him.

I don't mean to be a hater but I think its 10 to 0... i think it would be closer if you did it playoff style

number 1 vs number 10 of the other bracket and so on so..

1. Hendricks vs Mcdonogh - Hendricks wins with ease

2. Lawler vs Carl - Lawler wins

3. Lombard vs Hawn - Lombard

4. Woodley vs Fitch- I think Woodley wins today but in primes I think Fitch could Sheilds Woodley

5. Macdonald vs Burkman - easily donald.

6. Brown vs Koreshkov- good fight... either it looks like brown vs silva or brown gets tkoed early... probably Brown

7. Condit vs Palhartes - I know I will get hate here but i think Palhares wins.. if he doesn't lose his mind he takes down condit and dominates... people forget how good Palhares takedowns are.

8. Kim vs Lima - Judo Kim wins berserker Kim might lose so idk... this is probably a pickem

9. Ellenburger vs Sheilds- we already saw this fight.. i know excuses... um probably a pickem again.

10. Asken vs Safeidine- Askren wins this the same he beat every other striker... Safeidine also lost to Woodley who lay and prayed him and is a much worse wrestler...

so then its... 5-2-3? the 3 being who knows?

Back