MMA rule changes as of 1st Jan 2017

Well judges didn't seem to be able to follow the old rules, so not sure how good they'll be at following the rule changes.

I'm a little curious as to what promped these changes

The changes also remove two fouls from the MMA Unified Rules: heel strikes to the kidneys and the grabbing of the clavicle.

It's progress. I like it. Especially the grounded opponent rule. That will make a huge difference. However I don't like being fouled for extended fingers. If opponent got poked after repeated warnings and got a point taken, I would get it.

Sorry guys kinda forgot to post the link up. Thanks to the guys that did it for me.

1 thing that i wanted to be addressed more is fence grabbing. Refs should be way more strict in deducting points for that. Happens very often and it changes the course of fights.

Some guy made a post yesterday that really made sense.

The 10-8 rule only comes in to play in 5 round fights where fighter A winning two 10-8s beats fighter B winning three 10-9's. In every other scenario it's the same result or a draw.

Is having that many more draws really worth it to change this one rare scenario? I don't think so. They should either push for more 10-7s or just judge the damn fight as a whole. Boxing judging really doesn't work for 3 round mma fights
They need to come up with an MMA specific scoring system and abandon the idea that a round needs to be won or lost.

Some cumulation of points over the course of the fight makes more sense.

Back