MMA rule changes as of 1st Jan 2017

lagofala

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts?

Too much? Too Little?

It is a huge step forward for MMA in my opinions especially the 10-8 rulings and grounded opponent definition change. We should look forward to fight quality to improve with the reduction in stalling.

Thanks for the list of changes.

12:00 to 5:30 elbow will be legal. Not quite there yet, but getting closer.

Overall, I'd say way, way too little. Not because more things necessarily need to be changed (although they do), but because this kind of thing should be happening all the time, and it's bonkers that something like this isn't a regular occurrence. The NFL, NBA, and MLB are all making rule changes all the time.

Some guy made a post yesterday that really made sense.

The 10-8 rule only comes in to play in 5 round fights where fighter A winning two 10-8s beats fighter B winning three 10-9's. In every other scenario it's the same result or a draw.

Is having that many more draws really worth it to change this one rare scenario? I don't think so. They should either push for more 10-7s or just judge the damn fight as a whole. Boxing judging really doesn't work for 3 round mma fights

Also I dislike the fact that they aren't rewarding aggression unless everything else is equal. It's rewarding the point fighters to just land that one extra strike, and the guy being the aggressor doesn't get any credit for it.

Other than those two things I like the changes like gauging the impact of strikes over accumulated damage. But I'm not sure these changes are better overall or worse

we need Pride rules, Yellow cards for the lay n pray stallers.

I think TS is a Grounded fighter..........

Too much? Too Little?

It is a huge step forward for MMA in my opinions especially the 10-8 rulings and grounded opponent definition change. We should look forward to fight quality to improve with the reduction in stalling.

What are you talking about?
The OPs have a certain responsibility to post CONTEXT.

I come here for my MMA news, ya know... was something announced by some Athletic Commission or something?

I'm happy that this got done. Especially the grounded hand rule gaming and the finger extension. 10-8's should be clear, but the real key area is having competent judges. They still can falsely interpret what "duration" is, but hopefully it won't be a big deal. Also pleased that there's a step made towards damage over volume.

Some guy made a post yesterday that really made sense.

The 10-8 rule only comes in to play in 5 round fights where fighter A winning two 10-8s beats fighter B winning three 10-9's. In every other scenario it's the same result or a draw.

Is having that many more draws really worth it to change this one rare scenario? I don't think so. They should either push for more 10-7s or just judge the damn fight as a whole. Boxing judging really doesn't work for 3 round mma fights
The fact is that giving rounds thumbs up or thumbs down is stupid. They have to start giving more 10-8 rounds and more 10-7. If a fighter gets their doors blown off in one round and barely wins the other two, that fighter doesn't deserve the win so a draw is fine in that situation. I don't mind more draws because the fact is a lot of the wins in MMA haven't really been won, they've been given due to a flawed scoring system. I wish the ABC would have addressed the issue of stalling on the ground, feet and clinch. It shouldn't just be a reset it should be one warning for the fighter in the dominant position upon a reset and a point taken for any subsequent resets.

Too much? Too Little?

The fact is I love the new grounded opponent rule. No more guys stalling with one hand down. They will get kicked or kneed to the head so they will have to choose to put the other hand down which will mean likely getting taken down or standing back up and fighting again, even if it's in a bad position.

I didn't think that there were too many changes made but I do think they could have addressed stalling with one warning and then a point taken and for the refs to give a count to let the fighters know how long they have to engage. Other then that I liked the rule changes.

12:00 to 5:30 elbow will be legal. Not quite there yet, but getting closer.

Maybe they mean that their should be no elbows during the hours of 12:00 to 5:30!

trollface.jpg

I like the 'extended fingers' rule, but it should be stronger. If your hands are at or above your opponents chest in stand up, and more than halfway extended, no extended fingers period, even if you aren't advancing. They're gonna wind up calling the 'Jon Jones' rule.

The fact is that giving rounds thumbs up or thumbs down is stupid. They have to start giving more 10-8 rounds and more 10-7. If a fighter gets their doors blown off in one round and barely wins the other two, that fighter doesn't deserve the win so a draw is fine in that situation. I don't mind more draws because the fact is a lot of the wins in MMA haven't really been won, they've been given due to a flawed scoring system. I wish the ABC would have addressed the issue of stalling on the ground, feet and clinch. It shouldn't just be a reset it should be one warning for the fighter in the dominant position upon a reset and a point taken for any subsequent resets.

I don't mind them determining a winner. More draws = less win bonuses for the fighters.

I just meant the 10-8 itself doesn't do anything except make more draws. The 10-7 etc is definitely a good thing, and I agree that a thumbs up or down (10-9) system doesn't work for mma. And agree on the less stalling because if anything they're encouraging it by not rewarding aggression

Too much? Too Little?

not sure how i feel about the 10-8 rounds, I'll have to wait and see im worried it will result in more draws... the grounded fighter rule change is amazing, and im curious to see if Jon Jones deals the new fingers rules haha

Back