MMA question for blues and above

Alright, the comparison between half and rubber makes a lot of sense. It's not a game everyone can play, don't put a lot of faith in it, etc.

I yield.

It wasn't my intention to make it sound like it was a great guard for MMA, but now I see that trying to avoid dismissing it was probably a waste of breath. It does take a unique individual to deviate from any of the "tried and tested" strategies.

Alright,I yield. The comparison between half and rubber makes sense. It's far less proven at various levels, not for most people, etc.

I guess I was wasting my breath by trying to avoid dismissing it. It does take a unique individual to deviate from any of the "tried and tested" strategies.

I play a lot of half guard and train mma. You definitely have to play it with a sense of urgency. Full (especially high or rubber) guard is usually much better. Not only can you threaten more submissions and smother his offense, you have a much higher likelihood of getting a ref stand-up. In mma I either go hard for the sweep (typically underhook to drive-through single), latch on the kimura, scramble to feet, or return to guard. The good thing is that in order to hit you he needs to posture up, which gives you good opportunity for underhook/stand/guard return.

In general, it serves you best to work on your wrestling as you quickly reach the point of diminishing returns playing bottom game.

Nog uses halfguard well but he on the other hand has no problems taking shots.

for guys who say that the half guard is "good" for mma:

No one is saying that half guard techniques can't be used in mma. What we are saying is that there is something called a "margin of error" and you need to be damm near perfect to use it in mma.

I think the problem you see with guys using HG is that they take too long to set up reversals and sweeps. It is a guard that definately needs to be worked a lot for MMA if it is gonna be used. Personally, I love the HG and use it as much as possible to look for reversals.

Half guard training has a use in MMA, but most of your training should revolve around turning into a single or trying to replace guard, if a sweep presents itself that's when you should try it. IMO training to take an oppurtunity is alot more valuable than spending alot of time "fishing" in half guard for sweeps. Half guard is great for grappling, but its very easy to get the shit beaten out of you too in MMA, because in MMA a guy really has no particular reason to press passing half guard, he can just set his base and beat you to a pulp.

Folks have said it over and over so it should be hammered in now, half guard is VERY transistional in MMA or you are going to get beat down. One thing people are missing about Nog, his MMA guard is so good people actively try to run from being on the mat with him rather than beating on him too much when he is on his back, this is why his half guard sweep is money, because the rest of his bottom MMA game is so strong.

As said before, half guard is not really ideal for MMA. Having said that, have you tried the whole overhook halfguard game as opposed to the underhook? It seems like it might be better for MMA, but iono, you'd have to try it.

Half guard is a transitional position, a position you shouldn't hang out in too long or else. there are almost zero subs from half guard bottom, and your sweeps are there, but limited.

Plus you have to face elbows, and wrestlers can just pin you down in half guard. My advise is to practice getting to half guard (from an inferior position), but then practice getting the F out asap.

i use my under and overhook to try and establish my leg in between his legs in a butterfly position and then you have an elevator sweep but in the end if your going for a sweep chances are your gonna eat some punches before getting it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back