MMA in RI

golbe37

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good MMA schools in RI or southeaster MA? Thanks

golbe37 said:
Does anyone know of any good MMA schools in RI or southeaster MA? Thanks

Check out Santos fighting academy in Cranston. Where in Southeastern Mass are you? I live in North Attleboro and I go to The Boneyard in Taunton. Both are roughly 30 minutes from me.

At the moment Team Santos' website is down, but you can see all their info on their MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/brazilianjiujitsu

Definitely if you can check either school out. I love the Boneyard, and I know Matt (Santos) is a freaking wizard on the mat. I'm pretty sure he's a black belt by now.

Hey Iceman,
Sorry I forget your real name. I went to the Boneyard for a few months also, I just haven't been in a few months now since I'm broke trying to pay for college. Anyway, I didn't know you were from NA.. I am also

I live in Cranston RI & have trained @ Santos's gym around a dozen times or so & i thought they were excellent trainers. Never got to roll w/Matt because he was never @ the beginners class. A friend of mine who actually was a doorman @ my bar was the beginners class teacher & he was incredible. He was very basic in his approach & spent a ton of one on one time w/me. After only a few classes I felt really confident on the mat & even "perfected" a couple moves he taught me. At least that what he said. I love how a teacher drils & drills the basics over n over because I believe that thats the best way to learn in the long run. If you don't have the basics then your never gonna progress. I think if you concentrate on the basics then all the cool submissions & offense will eventually come naturally. All in all I give Santos's school a great review. Very laid back & alot of one on one time w/the instructors.

i want to train at mat's place...i live in the south county area and has anyone heard about omoplata?

I know theres also BMAC in Sommerville and Della Grottes gym in boston if youre willing to drive that far.

Matt Thornton-

Whats the policy at the Boneyard and Santos' place about drop ins? My girlfriend lives in Seekonk so I'm out that way quite a bit. I've got a fight coming up in June so I could use the extra mat time

I know theres also BMAC in Sommerville and Della Grottes gym in boston if youre willing to drive that far.

Matt Thornton-

Whats the policy at the Boneyard and Santos' place about drop ins? My girlfriend lives in Seekonk so I'm out that way quite a bit. I've got a fight coming up in June so I could use the extra mat time

Not sure. Prob $15 for a roll.

Ive been to boneyard and can vouch for their Muay Thai classes. They have good instruction with a no-frills attitude. You can learn a lot there.

Hey. I live in Warwick RI and i've heard alot about a BJJ place in Coventry. Can't remember the name of the place but one of the instructors their went out to Vegas and trained with Forrest Griffin and Randy Couture for a few weeks. The address is 1193 Tyoke Ave. I'm actually looking to get started this summer since i have no time now because of school.

I'd check out the Omoplata Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy in Wakefield, RI.

I might be biased to the place a bit, but its pretty much amazing...:icon_chee

www.OBJJA.com

Hey guys not only is Team Santos still alive and kicking, we just moved to a new larger location. We are now located at 425 Washington St. Providence.

A quick bio: I have been in BJJ and MMA since 1997, I own the longest running MMA Academy in RI, I was Rhode Island's first pro MMA fighter, every school in RI that teaches MMA has something to do with me. There are a lot of good schools in RI....There is me, 2nd Degree Black Belt, my coach Tim Burrill, 4th Degree Black Belt and coach to UFC fighters Jorge Rivera and Tom Lawlor, Coventry BJJ run by my training partner Daymon Smith, 2nd Degree Black Belt, Impact MMA in Coventry run by a Coventry Police officer and one of my students, Tri-Force MMA, run by The Jeffrey brothers, both great MMA fighters, the lazy one was my old roommate, Team Rockstar run by a Runner up National champ in wrestling, Black Diammond MMA, run by one of my former students.

RI is such a small state that you should stop in to check out these schools and make your decision based on whether or not you liked training there, don't just go for the coolest website that gets you a free t-shirt.

Please edit your posts if you posted that my gym was closed, we aren't going anywhere in fact we may be opening an affiliate in Narragansett next year!!!

If you need anymore info check out our new site.... Mat Santos Fighting Academy - Mixed Martial Arts & Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Providence, Rhode Island

A few of those schools are now closed.

Battlegrounds Borrelli's and Santos fight gyms are all closed.

But

Hey check out Black Diamond MMA in Peace Dale, Rhode Island

I've only been there for tournaments but it was a really nice facilitiy.

The website is Black Diamond Mixed Martial Arts | 30 Day FREE Trial - MMA - BJJ - Kickboxing - Kid's Karate

This is the second forum that I have seen you post that my school was closed..... If you don't train in RI why do you feel the need to post lies??? Please edit your posts on both forums.

Back