Mma fighters you met...and how were they?

akc814ilv

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Not at like an expo though. Guys you've met in a gym or just out and about.

Ken Shamrock. Met him while I was in the Marines. He was super nice. He was actually there as a guest showing us some self defense tactics. (Yes I'm old because this was years ago).

Anderson Silva- nicest fighter I ever met. I didn't say much to him but just asked to shake his hand. He was very kind and took the time to shake the hand of everyone there and was all smiles the entire time.

Big Nog - also very nice. I could actually communicate a bit with him which was cool. He was also very nice to my demon of an ex wife even though she didn't care about mma and didn't know who he was.

Andre Galvao- this one was different because for a time I trained at ATOS so I'd see him quite a bit. He is a very nice person though. Has a good sense of humor and the absolute best guy I've ever rolled with, hands down.

Cris Cyborg- also very nice. Saw her at a restaurant. I'm not a douchebag so I didn't bother her while she was eating, but when she left I just asked to shake her hand.

Royler Gracie - this was when I trained at Gracie Humaita. So I met him multiple times. He was always friendly and funny. I have a great deal of respect for the Gracies so I didn't really talk his ear off. Just thanked him for the work him and his family have done and shook his hand. His bjj knowledge is freaking amazing, but that goes without saying.

The only person I met that was kind of a dick was Josh Burkman. I don't really hold it against him though because he seemed like he was in a hurry. I don't ask for pics or autographs, but ask to shake their hands. Josh shook my hand but said "no autograph" when I hadn't even asked him for that.

There are a few more lesser known fighters that I've met just from years of bjj training, not to mention big names in bjj that didnt really ever do mma, but that I was stoked about meeting, but these would be the biggest ones.

Any experiences you guys have?

I met Kenny Florian, he was pretty cool. Told me all about how he invented the rear naked choke.

Bas Rutten is the only one, he was nice but had just flown to Melbourne from Abu Dhabi and looked like hell, said he hadn't slept for 2 days. I didn't get a photo because I knew a swift liver shot would have got me out of the way and allowed him to go to his hotel room.

Lol at Burkman telling you no autograph, should have roasted him right then and there OP.

MMA fighters or specifically UFC fighters?

You should have told Burkman that you wouldn't give him an autograph either.

There was a thread about a guy meeting D.Cruz. He seems like a total asshole.

Dustin Ortiz went to our rival high school back in Franklin, TN. We're about the same age so I would see him occasionally around the city at different hangout spots or at house parties and shit.

Funneled a beer with him once but never actually had an entire conversation with him. He just seemed like a regular athletic guy. Never knew he was into mma at the time or i would have tried to talk about it.

/irrelevant story

I have met Khabib (in AKA), Islam Makhachev(in AKA), Krylov (in Moscow airport), Rockhold, DC, Ruslan Magomedov and a few other Russian fighters from M1.

But they were all cool, Rockhold isn't as douchey as he seems lol, but they were all nice enough to talk and get a picture with. I had some trouble understanding Islam though, dat kavkaz accent. Khabib's was fine though, he has spent more time living in the big city, rather than a village.

Met Fedor at a seminar. I was wearing this shirt.

ssabsolutevictoryhi.png

He started laughing and showed his buddies it. Dunno what he was saying, but he thought it was sweet!

Played touch butt wit Ben Ten Ngyen, he was cool. Saw raging Al before weighins of my last fight, seems cool enough

Bas Rutten is the only one, he was nice but had just flown to Melbourne from Abu Dhabi and looked like hell, said he hadn't slept for 2 days. I didn't get a photo because I knew a swift liver shot would have got me out of the way and allowed him to go to his hotel room.

Bas seems like he would be awesome to have a quick conversation with.

I also met Kenny Florian and he told me that he had deciced to retire young then thanks for the cheese and told me he will catch me later.
I believe him.

Met many fighters but as a journalist/reporter from 2005-2010. Since it was for a newspaper, most were nice and professional.

The cool ones were: Royce Gracie, Royler Gracie, Rich Franklin, Evan Tanner, Carlos Condit, Roger Huerta, Tito Ortiz, Rampage, Big Nog, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia (Yes, he was cool), Randy Couture, Frank Mir.

Uptight but not jerks were Matt Hughes, Matt Lindland, Chuck Liddell, Babalu.

Side note, met Gina Carano when EXC was being promoted by Gary Shaw and hands down, Gina is even sexier in person.

Lol at Burkman telling you no autograph, should have roasted him right then and there OP.

It's hard to roast a guy who was with prime Arianny, especially when you just asked to shake his hand.

Coolest-Frank Mir (after his accident,working at Spearmint Rhino strip club in Vegas)
Biggest asshole-surprisingly Sugar Ray Leonard (Contender show finale)

There was a thread about a guy meeting D.Cruz. He seems like a total asshole.
Could u tell me more about that meeting?
Damn, I can't fuckin stand Cruz.
He pissed me of everytime when I see or listen to him in TV.
Guess I'm right.

Back