• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media MMA fighters are just a different level of athlete than kickboxers (Pereira is getting slaughtered)

I mostly agree with you until the last part, we've seen MMA walk in and have immediate success.

Mousasi finishes Musashi

Rampage finishes Abidi (Rampage also wins the rematch)

Overeem has too much kickboxing success to even mention.

Thank you for evening the MMAmath

What a stupid post. Define athleticism. Boxers usually don t have grappling athleticism and would get subbed in MMA no matter how they train grappling.

Guys like Gamrot and Tsarukyan, two top level MMA specimens, could never become anything but shit league in boxing because they don t have the athleticism for it.

Different sports.

What a stupid post. Define athleticism. Boxers usually don t have grappling athleticism and would get subbed in MMA no matter how they train grappling.

Guys like Gamrot and Tsarukyan, two top level MMA specimens, could never become anything but shit league in boxing because they don t have the athleticism for it.

Different sports.

This would be a good point if I was noting that kickboxers would lose to Khabib or Usman etc in MMA, but instead I referenced standup fights with kickboxers under MMA rules and MMA fighters vs kickboxers under kickboxing rules.

Yes I understand that Mike Tyson sucking at basketball doesn't take away from his incredible boxing specific athleticism.

it's almost like ....it's a different sport...

it's a dumb comparison because you just cherry picked 3 fights. what about Cro Cop's entire MMA career? he was destroying all kinds of MMA fighters, both strikers and grapplers. you also lied about some of the "facts". Mighty Mo was never "one of the best kickboxers in the world" he has more losses than wins in kickboxing. ironically, he actually has a much better MMA record at 12-6. Leko did not get "slept" by Ogawa, he got dropped and submitted. with all this misinformation, some that's so obvious that you can just watch your video you posted and see that what you said is not true, makes anything else you say have no weight at all.

Thank you mate, you took every single word off my mouth..

Mighty mo one of the best kickboxer..that's exactly where he lost all credibility. Mo, the same guy that got ktfo frozen dead by 170 pounders tai boxer that i don't remember the name.

Come on

No matter who wins that fight, it should set up a good fight if izzy beats jared.

an epic revengeful izzy out for blood vs periera

Or

an epic shit talking leadup ala costa izzy

It isn't the same sport.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with being the better athlete, but it's all about it being a completely different sport that they are entering and the guys they are facing have been doing that sport for far longer, than they have.

And there was definitely grappling in the Leko fight. And there is always the threat of the take down, something that's really hard to deal with for newly transitioned strikers.

Last edited:
Yeah, it has nothing to do with being the better athlete, but it's all about it being a completely different sport that they are entering and the guys they are facing have been doing that sport for far longer, than they have.
Golfers should seemlessly transition into baseball, too, bc both sports hit shit with sticks lol. I like TS, he's a stand up guy, one of the best, but he missed the mark this time.

And before you bring up the rare exceptions like Adesanya, remember that he is an MMA fighter that has been doing it for over a decade and actually started fighting MMA before kickboxing.

Exhibit A: Lungu vs Mighty Mo

An MMA beast HW like Lungu was able to steamroll Mighty Mo in a pure standup fight under MMA rules. Mo was one of the best kickboxers in the world and known for his remarkable chin and power in kickboxing, yet crumbled under the power of a single Lungu punch. No disrespect to Lungu but he's not the MMA equivalent of King Mo and was decimated by The Colossus James Thompson when they fought.

Exhibit B: Leko vs Ogawa

Again, Leko was one of the best kickboxers in the world and gets slept early by a Judoka in a pure standup fight under MMA rules.

Exhibit C: Rountree vs Saki

Everyone knows this one, no need to post.

You had a decent argument... why sprinkle lies all over it...

Israel started training kickboxing right after finishing high school at age 18 (before that he said he did not care for sports at all), and made his kickboxing debut at 2010 against Jerry Seagar BSC3 in NZ...

Izzy first started training MMA at age 21, he never even watched an mma fight before that. Then made his MMA debut at 2012 against James Griffiths at SFC also in NZ.

will-ferrell-elf.gif

I think in the 90s and early 00s kickboxers were clearly the better athletes overall and the gulf in striking skills was big. But with the trajectory of both sports since those days MMA probably has the bigger talent pool and better athletes now, and the skill gap in striking isnt anywhere near as pronounced.

As for Strickland/Pereira in particular, Sean can absolutely win this (i'm not sure he should even be considered the underdog tbh) but if he does it'll be through him being able to shake off whatever Alex lands well enough for cardio and wrestling to come into play.

Reactions: CPH
Golfers should seemlessly transition into baseball, too, bc both sports hit shit with sticks lol. I like TS, he's a stand up guy, one of the best, but he missed the mark this time.

Yeah, can't be using a 44 YO Mo as an example of one of the best. Dude was good in his prime, but never really one of the best.

It's all good though. People often underestimate the differences between kickboxing and MMA. They don't realise the whole striking game is drastically different too. Izzy is only as successful as he is, because he took the right approach and started early and slowly with taking on MMA bouts. Not straight to the big leagues.

I mostly agree with you until the last part, we've seen MMA walk in and have immediate success.

Mousasi finishes Musashi

Musashi was washed at that point, and also, Mousse has a KB background.

Abidi was a flake who has a 50/50 record in K1. He had some big wins but beating him is not some extraordinary achievement.

That said, the vast majority of kickboxers above 60kgs are terrible + the glory style of kickboxing is a bad fit for mma: weak in the clich, over-reliance on high guard, no experience with elbows.

Mirko Cro Cop has entered the chat... <BC1>

You had a decent argument... why sprinkle lies all over it...

Israel started training kickboxing right after finishing high school at age 18 (before that he said he did not care for sports at all), and made his kickboxing debut at 2010 against Jerry Seagar BSC3 in NZ...

Izzy first started training MMA at age 21, he never even watched an mma fight before that. Then made his MMA debut at 2012 against James Griffiths at SFC also in NZ.

will-ferrell-elf.gif

I said he fought MMA before kickboxing, this is an amateur MMA fight from 2009 when he was 20.

Yeah, can't be using a 44 YO Mo as an example of one of the best. Dude was good in his prime, but never really one of the best.

It's all good though. People often underestimate the differences between kickboxing and MMA. They don't realise the whole striking game is drastically different too. Izzy is only as successful as he is, because he took the right approach and started early and slowly with taking on MMA bouts. Not straight to the big leagues.

Not using the 44 year old version of Mo as an example of the best, but he was fighting a 40+ year old Lungu that beat him standing.

Not using the 44 year old version of Mo as an example of the best, but he was fighting a 40+ year old Lungu that beat him standing.

And juiced to the gills. Mo was still older and more shopworn and being as heavy and compact build as he is, you just aren't going to be anywhere near what you once were. He wasn't a tactical genius or super technical. He had good reflexes and could explode when needed to. But that's all gone at 44. So yeah, if you are facing someone who is known as a grappler, but obviously also was working on his kickboxing. He has a respectable KB record. Then Mo was probably expecting to have to grapple and wasn't fast enough to adjust when it was clear Lungu was gonna stand. And one mistake can be fatal at HW.

How does this make any sense..? If they fought him in kickboxing they'd get knocked out.

People having this obsession with athletes from other sports > athletes from other sports is so bizarre on Sherdog.

Mousasi finishes Musashi

Tom Erickson was so scary in MMA people ducked him for years. he went to kickboxing and got out with a 1-4 record.

Kid Yamamoto a beast in MMA and one of the most athletic fighters at the time, 1-3 record in K-1.

it's a mixed bag of success and failures. just like it is with kickboxers going to MMA. you're trying to prove something that cannot be proven.

Back