Mixed martial arts step closer to becoming Olympic sport after IMMAF sign WADA Code

It is. You instincts are right.

This is amateur MMA with shin pads and extra glove padding and some other modifications.
Head gear, shin pads, and extra padding is all good, the modifications is what im worried about. They might change the essence of the sport like they did judo and tkd. Olympic TKD doesnt even allow kicking to the head and Olympic judo is a shell of the original judo, which had extensive newaza and even included leg locks.
I mean, isn't that the norm for combat sports in the Olympics? Makes sense since the people participating are still, you know, amateurs.
Yes, i agree but it really depends on how much they change the ruleset. I doubt they will allow leg attacks (since they are not even allowed in judo), and maybe they will ban elbows or limit the amount of time spent on the ground, or certain type of attacks. In general, the olympics tend to take all the fun out of the combat sports, so what Im thinking is that they will butcher MMA so much that it will not be easy to transition from olympic mma to real mma.

I guess good.......................but I don't see it really changing much of anything for MMA. Won't you rather go get paid than do it for your country if your some 19 year old young adult??? Does MMA fan really want to watch a water down version of MMA???

How do other countries feel about the Olympics overall??? Do people watch it or only watch "x" athlete's that are getting all the attention???

In the USA I'm a middle age 40's male who could almost give two shits about the Olympics overall and my circle of friends basically feel the same. We all watch a lot of sports also through out the year. For the Olympics I watch some events here and there. More as back ground noise than anything. Ratings over the years seem to saying I'm not the only one. I don't ever expect to see Olympic MMA on NBC at 8PM. It's hard to even find sports that have been part the Olympics for decades. Seems like the only things that are presented on media networks are top sports. top athletes, and most of it tape delayed all to often. Even when it happens in your own country or close to your time zones they seem to just package a lot of it together. Now I'm sure if one digs around they could find on the net to watch a sport live and that seems to be where NBC has seen growth over traditional TV outlets recently.

P.S.: I get the feeling the Olympics have kind of run there course in the world. You hear all the stories around getting picked to host the Olympics, all BS it takes to put it on, all the wasted money in most cases for a country to build for it, athletes complaining about all sort of things, PEDs, crime, political BS that gets dragged into it, aetc etc. Many countries refuse to even bid for it because it just isn't worth hurdles to go through. My guess in our lifetime the Olympics will either die out or will be revamped to be hosted in the same spot or two every 4 years. I think the days of countries pulling out all the stops to woooooo the committee will dry up.

I mean, isn't that the norm for combat sports in the Olympics? Makes sense since the people participating are still, you know, amateurs.
Amateur MMA across the world is like that, even in the USA when they have amateur undercards on LFA events.

Head gear, shin pads, and extra padding is all good, the modifications is what im worried about. They might change the essence of the sport like they did judo and tkd. Olympic TKD doesnt even allow kicking to the head and Olympic judo is a shell of the original judo, which had extensive newaza and even included leg locks.

Yes, i agree but it really depends on how much they change the ruleset. I doubt they will allow leg attacks (since they are not even allowed in judo), and maybe they will ban elbows or limit the amount of time spent on the ground, or certain type of attacks. In general, the olympics tend to take all the fun out of the combat sports, so what Im thinking is that they will butcher MMA so much that it will not be easy to transition from olympic mma to real mma.
IMMAF already holds events and the rules are no heelhooks, no kneeing in the head, and no elbows.

0d014e79d202a723e221ee4e46d5e899.png

I just want to see Open Weight Grand Prix again. That was the best.

Also, one night tournaments.

The interesting part to me is the ammy vs pro rule. Like Dream Team. If pros can participate. It would make the stakes and competition great to watch. Otherwise, Mokaev, guys like that, ammy vs ammy.

MMA is very popular. In that sense it can replace a core sport. Pros being able to participate would be great for commercial success, which the Olympics are about, so the chances of inclusion would go up.

But even if it's just amateur it would create state programs. The development on a youth level would benefit greatly. Kids would have more reason to start doing MMA.

Olympic mma? Pass. Hard pass.

I just want to see Open Weight Grand Prix again. That was the best.

Also, one night tournaments.
Better invent that time machine, then, because you’re living in the past.

Honor your country and make a name of yourself. Olympic Medals means cash from your country.

You can probably add headgear along with changing many of the rules such as no elbow strikes. It will look like a Sambo match without the Gi.

See IMMAF aka the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation is the international governing body for MMA and the organization responsible trying to get MMA in the Olympics.

They have already hold my tile annual tournaments around the world and created the official Amateur MMA rules.

The same rules that they would use in the Olympics. The rules are shin guards, no heelhooks, no kneeing in the head, no elbows, and NO HEADGEAR

I guess good.......................but I don't see it really changing much of anything for MMA. Won't you rather go get paid than do it for your country if your some 19 year old young adult??? Does MMA fan really want to watch a water down version of MMA???

How do other countries feel about the Olympics overall??? Do people watch it or only watch "x" athlete's that are getting all the attention???

In the USA I'm a middle age 40's male who could almost give two shits about the Olympics overall and my circle of friends basically feel the same. We all watch a lot of sports also through out the year. For the Olympics I watch some events here and there. More as back ground noise than anything. Ratings over the years seem to saying I'm not the only one. I don't ever expect to see Olympic MMA on NBC at 8PM. It's hard to even find sports that have been part the Olympics for decades. Seems like the only things that are presented on media networks are top sports. top athletes, and most of it tape delayed all to often. Even when it happens in your own country or close to your time zones they seem to just package a lot of it together. Now I'm sure if one digs around they could find on the net to watch a sport live and that seems to be where NBC has seen growth over traditional TV outlets recently.

P.S.: I get the feeling the Olympics have kind of run there course in the world. You hear all the stories around getting picked to host the Olympics, all BS it takes to put it on, all the wasted money in most cases for a country to build for it, athletes complaining about all sort of things, PEDs, crime, political BS that gets dragged into it, aetc etc. Many countries refuse to even bid for it because it just isn't worth hurdles to go through. My guess in our lifetime the Olympics will either die out or will be revamped to be hosted in the same spot or two every 4 years. I think the days of countries pulling out all the stops to woooooo the committee will dry up.
I agree with tour point, besides one thing:

No matter how soft the Olympic version of MMA would be, thats by default an amateur event.
Same as it was with boxing.

There is a huge gap in the structures and organizations work in USA, and Europe, let alone Russia and ex Eastern Bloc.

An Olympic medal in these parts means the athlete can retire on a government benefits, most probably will get a private sponsorship as well, plus obligatory new apartment and a car.
He/She will most probably become an administration member of sports ministry or federation, and etc.

World champ in an Olympic discipline will get about the same benefits, especially if repeated

The people who are national champs in Olympic sports, are likely to become coaches, paid by the government, involved in federation and etc...

Professional sports pay much better, but they lack government involvement, hence the athletes success depends on their performance.
No early retirement, for about %95 of the practitioners.

See IMMAF aka the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation is the international governing body for MMA and the organization responsible trying to get MMA in the Olympics.

They have already hold my tile annual tournaments around the world and created the official Amateur MMA rules.

The same rules that they would use in the Olympics. The rules are shin guards, no heelhooks, no kneeing in the head, no elbows, and NO HEADGEAR

Interesting do they allow punches to the head? If yes I find it hard to believe the International Olympic Committee will allow no headgear when they make boxers use them. I just don't see IOC approving no headgear.

Interesting do they allow punches to the head? If yes I find it hard to believe the International Olympic Committee will allow no headgear when they make boxers use them. I just don't see IOC approving no headgear.

Yes they allow punches to the head

And….

Olympic boxers don’t use head gear anymore. The video below has a boxing match from 2021

I prefer martial arts/combat sports remain separate at the Olympics

Love it. I'm sure Dana hates it
Yeah, that's why the UFC spends millions supporting IMMAF as the primary sponsor and every year Dana writes an open letter to the athletes wishing them luck

I've been working with IMMAF for years. For those that don't know, here's some details:
- 3x3 minute rounds, with option for extra round if a draw. Anyone with pro experience is not eligible.
- No elbow/forearm strikes, knees to the head (basically trying to avoid bone on bone contact to mitigate against cuts.) Same reason they wear shin guards
- A few submissions are banned, mainly ones with the risk of serious injury. Heel hooks, twisters, sit-through crucifix, neck cranks and so on
- Colored short sleeve rash guard, shorts and shin pads worn. Red, Blue and Gold (for returning champions)
- Extensive anti-doping protocols, strict backstage monitoring with "commission" equivalent inspectors
- All officials are trained and supervised by Marc Goddard (for refs and judges) and Bob Plant (for cutmen) those that don't perform or have mistakes, need to attend retraining or just not invited back. Quite a few officials have moved up to OneFC, Bellator and UFC.
- Depending on the size of the tournament, 2-4 cages running simultaneously for 5-6 days. 2019 worlds set a record for 126 fights in a single day
- Notable IMMAF vets: Shorty Torres, Sinead Kavanaugh, Micol Di Sengi, Conny Holm, Amanda Ribas, Manon Fiorot, Brenden Allen and Jack Shore. John Kavanaugh recently said the talent has gotten so high, he thinks today's IMMAF champs could compete well against UFCs Top 10-15

We just wrapped up the World Championships in Abu Dhabi a couple days ago. Despite a bunch of athletes and even whole teams not able to attend due to COVID, we still managed to get over 400 athletes from 56 countries.

PS. It's available to watch on PPV, like $10 bucks or something for a whole tournament or $40 bucks a year for everything (which include archive access)

Last edited:
I've been working with IMMAF for years. For those that don't know, here's some details:
- 3x3 minute rounds, with option for extra round if a draw. Anyone with pro experience is not eligible.
- No elbow/forearm strikes, knees to the head (basically trying to avoid bone on bone contact to mitigate against cuts.) Same reason they wear shin guards
- A few submissions are banned, mainly ones with the risk of serious injury. Heel hooks, twisters, sit-through crucifix, neck cranks and so on
- Colored short sleeve rash guard, shorts and shin pads worn. Red, Blue and Gold (for returning champions)
- Extensive anti-doping protocols, strict backstage monitoring with "commission" equivalent inspectors
- All officials are trained and supervised by Marc Goddard (for refs and judges) and Bob Plant (for cutmen) those that don't perform or have mistakes, need to attend retraining or just not invited back. Quite a few officials have moved up to OneFC, Bellator and UFC.
- Depending on the size of the tournament, 2-4 cages running simultaneously for 5-6 days. 2019 worlds set a record for 126 fights in a single day
- Notable IMMAF vets: Shorty Torres, Sinead Kavanaugh, Micol Di Sengi, Conny Holm, Amanda Ribas, Manon Fiorot, Brenden Allen and Jack Shore. John Kavanaugh recently said the talent has gotten so high, he thinks today's IMMAF champs could compete well against UFCs Top 10-15

We just wrapped up the World Championships in Abu Dhabi a couple days ago. Despite a bunch of athletes and even whole teams not able to attend due to COVID, we still managed to get over 400 athletes from 56 countries.

PS. It's available to watch on PPV, like $10 bucks or something for a whole tournament or $40 bucks a year for everything (which include archive access)

Thank you very much sir. I really appreciate the information.

I’ve following the work you guys do for sometime now. I really believe this is the future of MMA

Back