Misunderstanding muscle function

Status
Not open for further replies.

statisticool

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I think most people think biceps are exclusively used to pull the arm towards your shoulder.

However, if you do that motion with your palm facing down, the bicep should be relaxed.

It is only when you do that motion with your palm facing you (called 'supinated') that the bicep flexes.

In fencing, for example, typically people say to not lift weight, a common thing heard in many martial arts. However, they always, always, always stress the importance of supination of the hand for increasing the point control of the sword.

Does else have any examples of people thinking a muscle is used for one thing, but actually it is used more for something else? That is, examples of people misunderstanding muscle function?

Yeah I think the bicep, in addition to the curling motion, rotates the wrist and moves the whole arm up if you're doing a Nazi salute.

I once thought that the hamstring only pulls the foot towards the butt like a hamstring curl, but it also extends the hips (or something) like in a deadlift.

I think the most typical example is people not understanding the role of the hamstring in both knee flexion and hip extension.

Hi,

I think most people think a) biceps are exclusively used to pull the arm towards your shoulder.

b) However, if you do that motion with your palm facing down, the bicep should be relaxed.

It is only when you do that motion with your palm facing you (called 'supinated') that the bicep flexes.

I would like to draw attention to the fact that a) is not contradicted by b). At least given how I understand the English language.

Does else have any examples of people thinking a muscle is used for one thing, but actually it is used more for something else? That is, examples of people misunderstanding muscle function?

A lot of people think that abs are only used for ab flexor machines and picking up chicks. They're actually a very important stabilizer muscle for the majority of compound movements.

:icon_chee

Lats are important to pretty much everything.

For example, try doing 100 chins and see how it affects your running time.

"Core" function is probably the most misunderstood. At least it was for me.

Hi,

I think most people think biceps are exclusively used to pull the arm towards your shoulder.

However, if you do that motion with your palm facing down, the bicep should be relaxed.

In fencing, for example, typically people say to not lift weight, a common thing heard in many martial arts. However, they always, always, always stress the importance of supination of the hand for increasing the point control of the sword.

There are two heads of the bicep muscle as the name entails. One of the heads still fires during any elbow flexion, regardless of wrist articulation.

Any program should be built around the concept to train movements, not muscles.

The human body moves in kinetic chains. Knowing what is involved in each kinetic chain helps you balance your training, avoid overuse injury, avoid overtraining and become more aware of your body's function.

It removes alot of worrisome guess work involved with creating programs.

Another common misunderstanding about muscle function is that thinking about or discussing about lifting weights can make you stronger, instead of actually lifting weights. Something along the lines of the "mind-muscle connection" bullshit. This misunderstanding has become quite widespread ever since Al Gore invented the internets.

Any program should be built around the concept to train movements, not muscles.

The human body moves in kinetic chains. Knowing what is involved in each kinetic chain helps you balance your training, avoid overuse injury, avoid overtraining and become more aware of your body's function.

The human body moves in "kinetic chains", yet that doesn't mean that repeating these everyday movements is necessarily the best way to increase muscle strength.

In fact, it seems to argue for sport/skill training instead of strength training.

The human body moves in "kinetic chains", yet that doesn't mean that repeating these everyday movements is necessarily the best way to increase muscle strength.

In fact, it seems to argue for sport/skill training instead of strength training.

04_Isaacs_big_shit_R.jpg

I don't see your point here.

I think that stems from you misunderstanding my post.

Stasticool, being a troll and not being funny is a crime that I wish was a bannable offense.

Yes, you're entitled to your own opinion...but, quite honestly, it sucks and no here wants to hear it.

Stasticool, being a troll and not being funny is a crime that I wish was a bannable offense.

Yes, you're entitled to your own opinion...but, quite honestly, it sucks and no here wants to hear it.

Opinions are like the_harbinger..

Anyways, *plonk*, back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back