Mismatches between ATG fighters

i suppose i could have used a diff matchup. Hows about this one instead: Hagler vs Roy Jones. two atg but i would think roy wins pretty easy by outboxing him.

No way Hagler is easy work for anyone, even Roy.

No way Hagler is easy work for anyone, even Roy.

well i dunno. A prime Roy Jones is a pretty nasty customer ( not saying hagler isn't either) and it seems styles wise at least imo, roy would outbox him and cruise to an easy ud, at least imo. Im not trying to say roy would ko him or anything but i do think he would beat him up pretty good

Gatti is no ATG. Hatton is borderline, though, at 140 he has a decent resume.

I sort of disagree.

Gatti was a titlist in multiple weight classes, as well as being involved in FOTY multiple times.

If a guy like Graziano is great, why not Gatti?

I think there are varying degrees of greatness.

I sort of disagree.

Gatti was a titlist in multiple weight classes, as well as being involved in FOTY multiple times.

If a guy like Graziano is great, why not Gatti?

I think there are varying degrees of greatness.

Graziano was not great, though. He's well known, yes, but most wouldn't call him great, either. Both Graziano and Gatti are famous and brought a lot to the sport but that doesn't make them great fighters.

yeah sticking with the Marciano theme, his wins over Jersey Joe twice. First fight was competitive but the ko was legendary ownage. Also his wins over Charles, even though a natural lhw, were two wins over a great fighter albeit in the wrong weightclass.

yeah sticking with the Marciano theme, his wins over Jersey Joe twice. First fight was competitive but the ko was legendary ownage. Also his wins over Charles, even though a natural lhw, were two wins over a great fighter albeit in the wrong weightclass.

a lot of people forget that walcott was in his prime during the first marciano fight despite his age. In fact he was serving Rocky during the first fight until that gorgeous ko. I always thought that win gets underated.

The wins over charles were interesting because in the first they went back and forth and rocky barely won. In the second charles was winning until the ko. The issue is charles was past his best for both fights and out of his natural weight class. So i get why people may not consider those wins that good

Also, Harold Johnson was a pretty damned good fighter but he lost like 5 out of the 6 times he fought Archie.

a lot of people forget that walcott was in his prime during the first marciano fight despite his age. In fact he was serving Rocky during the first fight until that gorgeous ko. I always thought that win gets underated.

The wins over charles were interesting because in the first they went back and forth and rocky barely won. In the second charles was winning until the ko. The issue is charles was past his best for both fights and out of his natural weight class. So i get why people may not consider those wins that good

Agree, after Charles killed that guy he was never quite the same.

I'll throw out Ali/Liston too.

I really think Marciano would lose to all the HW greats from the 60s and beyond.

12 or 15?

Hagler was absolute beast with conditioning to match.

Jones could go 15 rds if he had too. Remember he play a full 48min Semi-Pro Basketball game and then flew 8hrs to fight a full 12rd fight in the same day.

Jones could go 15 rds if he had too. Remember he play a full 48min Semi-Pro Basketball game and then flew 8hrs to fight a full 12rd fight in the same day.

Playing ball is one thing...having to fight a dude who is beating you down for 15 rds is something else.

BTW...who did he fight that day?

Bhop and Tito

I guess you could also say rigs and donaire if you buy into the donaire hype train

Since this thread is bumped, I'll throw in Pac/Barrera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back