Social Minimum Wage now at $20 an hour in California

I don't disagree with either of you but you can't have rich people without having poor people. Every dollar you have is a dollar I can't have. You guys just aren't thinking it through. I used to be in the same boat until I started realizing that it's impossible to do what you guys are wanting to do in our current system. Even if it was improved on.

Think it through. The further you go down the road of government inflated minimum wage, government capped prices and government capped profits, the more you'll realize that this problem would have already been fixed if it was fixable. It's not fixable. Every good idea that you think you have is combated with a negative effect. Whether that's inflation, rising prices, closed businesses or work that is not worth the pay.

We're already at work that's not worth the pay and it shows everywhere you go. And I don't want to cap prices or profits o want to say pay these people for their time so the rest of us don't have to subsidize them or we'll make it impossible for you to business and someone else will rise up who can and tale your place.

And again you people need to stop working for McDonald's and Kroger and tacobell for free. It's absurd and it helps mega corps drive down wages and gives them all the power. A big Mac isn't 30 dollars because employees are getting paid. It's because we tolerate this shit. Like oh you wanna charge me an absurd amount for bullshit food and you don't want to pay the help . Na nay no my brother.

I like my sandwiches made with all of the vibrance and joy of someone who can also afford food.

Shit, what they make an hour now, doesn't even cover what the cost of a 40 piece chicken nugget meal has risen to. $25 with fries is crazy.

Shit, what they make an hour now, doesn't even cover what the cost of a 40 piece chicken nugget meal has risen to. $25 with fries is crazy.

That's funny because I was just reading this:

Guess them chicken nuggets are comin home to roost.

No. It can and does work. You are repeating corporate propaganda. Lots and lots of people buy burgers and they can and should pay enough to support the laborers who make them... You just have a defacto FAITH in the system of exploitation. It's an anti human perspective. There is plenty for everyone if human beings are more important to you than profits or markets etc. less profit at the very top is a requirement for the lowest to have enough. Only a cruel psychopathic worldview doesn't want the least to have enough. No company should exist if it cannot provide a bare minimum to its workers.

Your worldview does require exploitation of others. It's an impoverished anti human worldview.

You got to start from first principles and first principles is every human being who works should have a basic dignity of life.

Do you believe in unicorns as well? The fantasy land you describe has never and will never exist. Not only does the entire history of human existence prove it beyond any doubt, the world today proves you wrong, as well as the concept of evolution. Equality is the farthest thing from human nature you can possibly get and pushing that ideal as a possibility to people is one of the most evil things ever done to people.

I don't believe the only way to live in this world is from a sinful selfish motivation.. I believe there's a way to live in this world from good. And I think we make a better world that is better for humans when we do that.

Welcome to capitalism my friend as that is exactly what you describe. How do people become successful in capitalism? By providing goods and services that other people want. By definition to be successful in a capitalist society you must do something that provides value to others. It is the basic fundamental concept of trade. If you offer something that people deem as more valuable than other options they will exchange what they have of value for what you offer, if someone else offers something they see as higher value then they will exchange with that person instead. When people come in and force others to only exchange with specific people of their choosing is when problems happen.

No, I just know how to easily fill a 40 hour work week. If you are twiddling your thumbs at work you aren't doing your job. Unless you happen to be a professional thumb twiddler in which case more power to you.

Nice job in making it personal.

The reality is, there are tons of people that are getting their job done AND having to twiddle their thumbs because there's nothing else to do. 40 hours per week and 8 hours per day is too much. These movements are aimed at reducing thumb dwiddling time, not reducing production.

Welcome to capitalism my friend as that is exactly what you describe. How do people become successful in capitalism? By providing goods and services that other people want. By definition to be successful in a capitalist society you must do something that provides value to others. It is the basic fundamental concept of trade. If you offer something that people deem as more valuable than other options they will exchange what they have of value for what you offer, if someone else offers something they see as higher value then they will exchange with that person instead. When people come in and force others to only exchange with specific people of their choosing is when problems happen.
Is there a point to this because it doesn't seem to be response to what I said at all.

This includes your response to my other point too.

By what metric is the U.S easily the greatest country in the world? By nearly every measurable metric the United States is behind the majority of Western countries and sometimes even second world countries.

Only an American would say the U.S is the greatest country in the world. I live in Australia and I certainly wouldn't make that claim, despite the fact it has far better living standards than the U.S.

Did you forget how Australia absolutely lost its shit during covid? That alone opened my eyes to how crazy your government can get. I would never move to Australia on that display of draconian power alone.

I'm sorry but you just simply read too many anti US statistics. To say that the US is behind the majority of western countries and even second world countries is laughable. You're obviously anti US and that's fine but there's a reason why millions are trying to come here in droves and it's not because life here is mediocre.

We're already at work that's not worth the pay and it shows everywhere you go. And I don't want to cap prices or profits o want to say pay these people for their time so the rest of us don't have to subsidize them or we'll make it impossible for you to business and someone else will rise up who can and tale your place.

And again you people need to stop working for McDonald's and Kroger and tacobell for free. It's absurd and it helps mega corps drive down wages and gives them all the power. A big Mac isn't 30 dollars because employees are getting paid. It's because we tolerate this shit. Like oh you wanna charge me an absurd amount for bullshit food and you don't want to pay the help . Na nay no my brother.

I'm all for people using their buying power to make changes to the market. I don't think you'll ever get it to really work well enough to make the major changes you're looking for though. People that eat a ton of fast food aren't normally the brightest people on the planet.

Do you believe in unicorns as well? The fantasy land you describe has never and will never exist. Not only does the entire history of human existence prove it beyond any doubt, the world today proves you wrong, as well as the concept of evolution. Equality is the farthest thing from human nature you can possibly get and pushing that ideal as a possibility to people is one of the most evil things ever done to people.
nobody here is talking about equality and what you were calling proof is actually just insinuation and the "what is" bias.

The fact is tons of people find they can make it in this world with those motivations and that their lives are measurably better. And if you can make it in a world filled with sharks while not being a shark, just imagine if everybody took it on as a way of being.

Lastly, I'll say that we're just on a thread talking about $20 minimum wage. We're not talking about Utopia and you guys seem to want to force that, but that's not what we're talking about and there's already 50% of the country ready to do it, which means we're halfway there and that's proof if you want to call it proof that we can get there.

nobody here is talking about equality and what you were calling proof is actually just insinuation and the "what is" bias.

The fact is tons of people find they can make it in this world with those motivations and that their lives are measurably better. And if you can make it in a world filled with sharks while not being a shark, just imagine if everybody took it on as a way of being.

Lastly, I'll say that we're just on a thread talking about $20 minimum wage. We're not talking about Utopia and you guys seem to want to force that, but that's not what we're talking about and there's already 50% of the country ready to do it, which means we're halfway there and that's proof if you want to call it proof that we can get there.

50% of the country ready to do what?

Is $20 even livable in Cali? Isn't rent like 3k a month or some shit for even not good places to live?
Is minimum wage supposed to be livable? If you are older than 22-23 and still making minimum wage, then you are likely an uneducated fool that doesn't deserve $20 an hour.

Is minimum wage supposed to be livable? If you are older than 22-23 and still making minimum wage, then you are likely an uneducated fool that doesn't deserve $20 an hour.

Yes it is. Minimum wage was, at its inception, the minimum a person can be paid to be self-sustaining to meet their basic needs. Housing, food, clothing, transportation, utilities.

Yes. Anyone willing to work 40 hours or more a week and not leech off the government should be able to afford basic living costs regardless of whether they are an uneducated fool or not. Do you disagree?

I don't disagree with either of you but you can't have rich people without having poor people. Every dollar you have is a dollar I can't have. You guys just aren't thinking it through. I used to be in the same boat until I started realizing that it's impossible to do what you guys are wanting to do in our current system. Even if it was improved on.

Think it through. The further you go down the road of government inflated minimum wage, government capped prices and government capped profits, the more you'll realize that this problem would have already been fixed if it was fixable. It's not fixable. Every good idea that you think you have is combated with a negative effect. Whether that's inflation, rising prices, closed businesses or work that is not worth the pay.
It’s definitely impossible with that attitude.

40 nugget meal?
My dog wouldn’t even eat one.

Yes. Anyone willing to work 40 hours or more a week and not leech off the government should be able to afford basic living costs regardless of whether they are an uneducated fool or not. Do you disagree?
I think anyone that makes minimum wage would already qualify for all sorts of benefits to ensure they survive. Raising minimum wage is just going to make companies raise prices, which in turn basically nullifies the increase anyway. It won't be long before these entry level jobs are automated anyway which will put them out of work regardless.

Back