• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Minimum Wage now at $20 an hour in California

Los Angeles

March 29th:

BB1kXIMX.img

April 1st:
BB1kXC4t.img

Mostly +$0.50 - $1.80, except the Fish at $4 and the Whopper, Jr. at $0!

(I'm guessing the Jr is their "value" item and they estimate increasing the cost would disproportionately affect either sales or traffic.)

take your white supremacist math elsewhere, sir! this thread is about facts.

Isn’t this the same story every single time minimum wage is raised? When I first started working minimum wage in my state was $5.15/hour. Shortly after I started they raised the state minimum wage to $5.50 and all the same “get ready for prices to skyrocket and mass layoffs” arguments poured in. Nothing changed then, and nothing will change now. Not even sure what minimum wage is now but it’s probably not far off from what it is in California.

I think a $4 increase will have far more of an impact than .15 cents.

Should it be raised to $25?
Raising minimum wage doesn't solve much of the problems if high living costs aren't addressed. I wouldn't hate it if they raised the minimum wage more, as people who want to work should be able to afford to live. But it's just kicking the can down the road until a couple years from now it will have to be re-raised. And again. And again.

$20 really isn't shit in pretty much any city anymore. that is gonna get you a studio apartment maybe? Oh watch out don't make it rain too much on the poors :rolleyes:

$20 really isn't shit in pretty much any city anymore. that is gonna get you a studio apartment maybe? Oh watch out don't make it rain too much on the poors :rolleyes:
Bro I live in Louisiana. One of my friends makes over $20 an hour and is paying $550 to rent a house. The minimum wage is only $7.25 though so if you're stuck at that income it's going to be rough. If you have skills it's not bad.

A livable wage in the ghetto. You can't make a minimum wage so everyone can be in the middle class. The problem is minimum wage doesn't allow you to even pay for the basics in some places.
Agreed. Raising wages without figuring out how to fix some of the other contributing issues will just keep making things worse.

Last edited:
How about a wealth tax or increased taxes for the top earners?

They can do that but they probably have to address budget issues. They fell short $73 billion, not sure that you wouldn't see those high income individuals just declare a different State their home if they have the means to own multiple homes, or if certain people wouldn't just leave. But I would be ok with it. They're #6 highest for Corporate tax rates in the country already, wouldn't mind if they tinkered to lesser the burden on smaller businesses and raise the rate with larger businesses. Then again that could also scare off them off.

It's a competitive place and the population has nearly doubled since the 80s (probably has if you're counting the uncounted). It's a commuter environment that probably needs to evolve into a place that's public transit friendly. Maybe UBI is the answer to an extent but I don't see how that would be implemented.

it will never cease to amaze me how much the average US worker, hates their fellow workers. How they will infinitely go to bat for evil soulless multinationals like some kind of Manchurian Candidate but for Jeff Bezos and the Walton family. "Shill protocol activated. Must commence defense of billionaires immediately. If defend hard enough, maybe one day daddy will notice me and I become billionaire too. Engaging boot-licking mechanism." *throating billionaire cock noises intensify*

For real though. The default reaction to anyone in another field getting more money is always hey fuck that guy, he's getting closer to the level I'M at and that's not ok.

Bro I live in Louisiana. One of my friends makes over $20 an hour and is paying $550 to rent a house. The minimum wage is only $7.25 though so if you're stuck at that income it's going to be rough. If you have skills it's not bad.

I make a little under $25 an hour and I live in a studio apartment in one of the worst areas downtown. $1125 per month for a place about as big as a closet in a master bedroom. Decent one bedrooms are anywhere from $1200 to $1500. You can find cheaper if you hunt around but you WILL have increased danger. Even being pretty frugal and generally making more money every single year for the last 6 years, it doesnt feel possible to make progress. Six years after moving to Nevada I couldn't tell you what there is to do here.

All I do is work and sit in my tiny apartment and drink. And people think that people making $5 an hour less in a far more expensive area are overpaid. I don't get it, it's like they think anyone without a degree or valuable skills should just be on the street. They always single out whatever they think the dumbest job possible is, but MANY people working MANY types of jobs are making the minimum or close to it.

Last edited:
For real though. The default reaction to anyone in another field getting more money is always hey fuck that guy, he's getting closer to the level I'M at and I

I make a little under $25 an hour and I live in a studio apartment in one of the worst areas downtown. $1125 per month for a place about as big as a closet in a master bedroom. Decent one bedrooms are anywhere from $1200 to $1500. You can find cheaper if you hunt around but you WILL have increased danger. Even being pretty frugal and generally making more money every single year for the last 6 years, it doesnt feel possible to make progress. Six years after moving to Nevada I couldn't tell you what there is to do here.

All I do is work and sit in my tiny apartment and drink. And people think that people making $5 an hour less in a far more expensive area are overpaid. I don't get it, it's like they think anyone without a degree or valuable skills should just be on the street. They always single out whatever they think the dumbest job possible is, but MANY people working MANY types of jobs are making the minimum or close to it.
If you're willing to move and do a little bit of traveling even if you only make like $10 an hour here I know single moms who rent houses in the country about 30-45 minutes out of town for like $225 a month. Bad area I guess but no real danger.

Agreed with your point about people who care way too much about status.

Los Angeles

March 29th:

BB1kXIMX.img

April 1st:
BB1kXC4t.img

Mostly +$0.50 - $1.80, except the Fish at $4 and the Whopper, Jr. at $0!

(I'm guessing the Jr is their "value" item and they estimate increasing the cost would disproportionately affect either sales or traffic.)
This has shaken me to my core. Truly demonic and evil.

Just think about it, every time you:

• Visit any fast food place or restaurant
  • Call for technical support over the phone
  • Go to any retail store
  • Have anything delivered

Everyone working any position besides upper management is extremely poor. Not just a few high school kids, but giant industries operated by companies making billions in profits and providing tens of millions of jobs. And NONE of those people can get by without outside assistance. Whether that's through roommates, government assistance or living with family. None of these millions of people in any of these dozens of industries make enough money to live in even a studio apartment without financial assistance. Yet any time I bring this up all I get are talking points. Oh these jobs are for kids and retirees and I'm gonna parrot out that bullshit ass lie no matter how many times it's disproven because you guys don't have an argument to make using actual real numbers.

No, tens of millions of full time jobs are not all being worked by kids and grandma. It's like some of you never leave the house. Every time you go out to buy nearly any good or service in this country, do you see all children and 80 year olds working these jobs? NO, you see mostly adults working them. Be real.

Last edited:
If you're willing to move and do a little bit of traveling even if you only make like $10 an hour here I know single moms who rent houses in the country about 30-45 minutes out of town for like $225 a month. Bad area I guess but no real danger.

Agreed with your point about people who care way too much about status.
I went through so goddamn much to get all the way out here and make something happen for myself. Appreciate the offer though. This is the only city I've found with a labor market I can actually survive in, even if I do not live well. Problem is inflation is insane so it feels like you're just constantly sprinting away from an erupting volcano lol

I went through so goddamn much to get all the way out here and make something happen for myself. Appreciate the offer though. This is the only city I've found with a labor market I can actually survive in, even if I do not live well. Problem is inflation is insane so it feels like you're just constantly sprinting away from an erupting volcano lol
I plan on moving to Nevada in a couple years. Maybe you can show me around. Good luck man.

That rent is amazing.

Even in St. Louis, you'd have to live within walking distance of the most dangerous spots, in the most dangerous city in the USA, to get a 1 bedroom at that price.

My rent was higher than that in 1999 (not 1 Bedroom, though).

Just trying to get in on the outrage and hyperbole game that is going on in here. Clearly the end of civilization as we know it.

I'm not in on that.
Just sharing BK. I know some are smaller (like N'andOut) and some are larger (like Kevin Hart's place).

What I am most interested in is the Whopper, Jr. & the Fish, TBH.
How does one see zero increase, while the other sees >33%?
Probably a combination of factors? I suppose it makes sense if you calculate on the manpower-per-product output, as the fish has to be cooked on demand and pulls an employee from whatever else they were doing?

That rent is amazing.

Even in St. Louis, you'd have to live within walking distance of the most dangerous spots, in the most dangerous city in the USA, to get a 1 bedroom at that price.

My rent was higher than that in 1999 (not 1 Bedroom, though).
Yeah I don't quite understand why poor people stay in places with such a high cost of living. I've heard the scenery is great in California but to me it sounds like there's a bunch of cons that you'd have to deal with. To hell with renting a couch in someone's garage and living with 5-12 people as the gentlemen @Pliny Pete said.

Back