"Military Style" obstacle course/tough mudder/urbanathalon

xtreme1227

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey All,

A friend of mine just turned me on to the tough mudder event series

the toughest one day endurance race on the planet - Tough Mudder

And I thought it would be pretty cool to do but it is REALLY expensive, I understand why b/c of all of the effort that goes into building the course.

But it got me thinking... are there any other types of events like this that have obstacles in them or a variation of a race.

Does anyone know of anything else out there? I tried google-ing "obstacle course race" but I didn't get much, the closest thing I could think of is a trail race or a triathlon but I really don't think they are as cool as something with obstacles in it...

hDJmF.gif

There is the "warrior run" which is a 5k with about a dozen obstacle stations, tho the obstacles aren't too tough, its just like climbing over some stuff or wading through some waist-deep mud for example. I think they do it in different places, one of which is in Riverside, California if I remember correctly.

Looks a bit like fairies mucking about

As above, look up tough guy. I did the one in January and the summer one which is different but the same course. First one I had a fever and the second one a heavy dose of man flu/cold.
People during the winter one were having fits in ambulances due to the cold and about 10% of people that enter don't complete it due to injuries and hypothermia.

edit- such things are always expensive. As above, January was July were both around

Thanks to who put the warrior dash site up. Looks perfect, I'm like 90% sure I'm doing it.

In Charlotte, they have an annual race called the Marine Corps Mud Run which sounds right up your alley. In fact, they have them all over the place. The entry fee is nominal, and it goes to support the Wounded Warriors in Camp Leujune, NC (the Charlotte race anyhow). I did it in 2008 and had a blast. The run is about 4-5 miles with obstacles and challenges throughout.

we have one in germany that sells out pretty fast

Thanks for all of the input guys.

This has been really helpful, I think the Warrior dash is more my speed, the tough mudder thing is a a bit too "badass" for me. (At least for now, maybe someday...)

the Spartan Race looks cool. They have one in Montreal... hmm... maybe I see a road trip in my future.

In Columbia, SC they have a USMC Mud Run. One in April, other in Oct. About 4.1 miles. Roughly 14,000 people did the Oct one last year. I have done a few times. If you live in the southeast area.

I did HellRunner last Sunday (28th November).
Fun in the mud..and bog.....and sand

Living History Farms outside Des Moines, Iowa has a mud filled cross country style run. Its 7 miles with 7500 other crazies in November.

Back