Mike Tyson: UFC was kicking our butt

Oh I know, I wasn't saying anything about UFC... Apparently it was estimated 1 Billion anyway after a quick google, so that's a Quarter of the Population not half.

Which fight has more views than Rumble in the Jungle? How do they even know these viewing figures? I can't find any sources at all other than the Rumble of the Jungle 1 Billion figure which seems weird anyway to say it had 50 Million PPV buys, how do you count the extra nine hundred fifty million people? Dodgy 70's streams LOL.
It’s not a true number. I don’t doubt that it was massive event and maybe even the most watched fight ever. However, no way in hell did half the world back then know who these two boxers were. The hundreds of millions in rural China? In India and Pakistan? Not only that, but there’s no way a lot of them could have watched it live

Wikipedia told me Ali - Spinks II and Ali - Holmes were watched by 2 billion people each

People always claim the World Cup is watched by 3 bil+ people based on similarly arbitrary figures

No. Nowadays we have somewhat accurate ways to measure the number of viewers. They didn't then, and obviously there wasn't 2 billion watching Ali.

Just look it up, and also multiple people can watch on one TV lol.

Two of Ali's fights reached the two bil mark
I did , Wikipedia say it's so but that doesn't mean anything to me. It logically makes no sense. I grew up watching classic boxing matches on ESPN and I didn't even recall that they fought twice. This isn't even one of his top 5 most known fights. Foreman, Frasier, Liston were all more well known. Multiple people can watch on tv and also one person can watch one tv. Sounds like they extrapolated to the point of a large inflation. Interesting that it's easy to find these "statistics" of how watched events were, even though they defy reason, but you can't do a quick search to see how many people had access to a tv in 1978. I'm not buying it. If 2020 has proved anything it's that the media is full of shit.

No. Nowadays we have somewhat accurate ways to measure the number of viewers. They didn't then, and obviously there wasn't 2 billion watching Ali.
So how do they calculate number of viewers nowadays accurately?

Multiply the number of TV sets + streams x random number?

Pretty sure they used to same formula back then, but feel free to elaborate if I'm wrong.

It’s not a true number. I don’t doubt that it was massive event and maybe even the most watched fight ever. However, no way in hell did half the world back then know who these two boxers were. The hundreds of millions in rural China? In India and Pakistan? Not only that, but there’s no way a lot of them could have watched it live
Yeah i'm not doubting that it was likely the most watched fight either, but apparently Ali-Spinks 2 was watched by even more, which makes all the numbers even more dubious to me.

Pretty sure they used to same formula back then, but feel free to elaborate if I'm wrong.
with TV I thought they took a sample size and created an average, with PPV though I suppose that's easy to add... With Live streaming though I can't imagine any estimates are close in the slightest.

UFC is bigger than boxing now

UFC or any mma organisation will never come close to the boxing's peak popularity

I'm pretty sure most Pakistanis and Chinese knew who Ali was lol

Ali, Elvis, and Michael Jackson might be the most famous people ever other than the US President/Queen of England.

The glory days of boxing were something special

Some of Ali's best fights were watched live by half the world's population

And then came PPV..

Which boxing pretty much started.. 40 Bucks to watch a 90 second Tyson fight..

Oh for sure, I don't know how you'd even try and calculate how many people have watched something now or in the 70's. Are illegal streams accounted for? I thought TV Viewing figures were heavily estimated now for the most part, can't imagine they were more accurate in the 70's.

I'd assume it was easier back then..

Today you can calculate how many people were watching a specific episode of a show..

Back then it should theoretically have been easier with no streaming, just raw channels..

With that said i might be talking out of my ass as i don't know these things.. it's just assumptions..

They had no such formula back then, and the number of 2 billions is an arbitrary one.

Do you find it plausible that 2 billions watched Ali? It's literally laughable.

I just looked it up and Ali vs Spinks II was watched by 2 billion people live.

The world's population at the time was 4.2 billion.

Wtf...

Yeah but now those 2 billion people better have 70 bucks handy, or access to a quality illegal stream..

I'd assume it was easier back then..

Today you can calculate how many people were watching a specific episode of a show..

Back then it should theoretically have been easier with no streaming, just raw channels..

With that said i might be talking out of my ass as i don't know these things.. it's just assumptions..
I mean in the UK, TV licensing in 2020 still can't accurately tell if you have a TV in your home without coming into your house.. Can't imagine poor countries have this shit down! lol

Ali, Elvis, and Michael Jackson might be the most famous people ever other than the US President/Queen of England.
I'm not trying to be a dick but I would assume from your avatar you are young, and probably don't grasp how much censorship there was of the western world in many countries, especially China. Hell to this day China hides a ton of western media. The CCP has 80,000 "internet police" that makes sure you aren't getting information that the Communist government doesn't want you to have access to.

I’m not sure that half of China had electricity during Ali’s prime, let alone radios or TVs. It was not a good era in their history. How would a lot of people in these countries have seen it even if they had wanted to?

I'm not trying to be a dick but I would assume from your avatar you are young, and probably don't grasp how much censorship there was of the western world in many countries, especially China. Hell to this day China hides a ton of western media. The CCP has 80,000 "internet police" that makes sure you aren't getting information that the Communist government doesn't want you to have access to.
Good point. I hadn’t even though of the censorship side of it. Ali’s era was during their reducation phase, when censorship would have been at its worst

Yeah but now those 2 billion people better have 70 bucks handy, or access to a quality illegal stream..
Haha exactly "quality illegal stream". Even if 2 billion people were around televisions in 1978(which they weren't), good luck getting reception. Hell you had to move the "rabbit ear" antenna around to get reception in the states in the 80's. I was in a foreign country 9 months ago and there wasn't tv where I was staying. Cell phone didn't work either.

lol you guys don't even know how big of a star Ali was back then. My Father grew up in a small mountain village in the mediterranean middle east without electricity and watched all of prime showman Ali fights. He went to the next City and watched it with thousands of people in the middle of the night in the only one cinema.

and you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s are talking about 2 billion viewers. it is most likely 3 billion.

The glory days of boxing were something special

Some of Ali's best fights were watched live by half the world's population

I doubt any MMA fight ever reaches those heights
Ali was more than just an athlete. He transcended sports.

Yeah but these days are long gone and boxing pretty much dug its own grave. Nowadays the only real draw is Fury and even that cant hide the outdated buisness, broadcasting and championship models.
I don't understand. Isn't boxing still more popular than MMA? I hear it both ways.

Back