Microwaving Meat

dragon50

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I eat a lot of Meat. Lamb Chops are my favorite. Frying them or cooking them in the oven causes too much smoke. Cooking them in a Microwave avoids the smoke. Although they don't taste as good as if I had cooked them using traditional cooking methods, the microwave does the job.

My question is about nutrition. Does microwaving meat destroy any vitamins and nutrients, that wouldn't be destroyed by traditional cooking methods?

Thanks

I know that the microwave destroys nutrients in vegtables, but not sure about meat.

Wolverine
///

First off, there is so much wrong with that first link its not even funny. And IMHO, should be removed.

I have never seen one bit of evidence that the germans invented microwave ovens, the idea that NAZI scientists were trying to create mobile ovens to help sustain the eastern front is crazy. The first microwave was watered cooled and weighed something like over 700 pounds, not that mobile and field friendly. Not even to mention the power requirements, or the fact their microwave radar lagged behind British and US research.

Its a scare tatic to try to link NAZI's with microwave ovens, which is why they later introduced research from the Soviet Union. Another scare tatic and propaganda.

Second, I have never read one piece of scientific evidence showing microwave ovens linked to nutritional losses in foods, compared to any other form of heating.

In fact, most studies I have read seem to prove microwave ovens actually keep more nutrional value, especially water soluble vitamins.

Like this one, from the University of Alabama

" The results indicate that Microwave blanching was more effective in retaining water-soluble vitamins in turnip greens. This is also in congruence with earlier findings indicating that microwave blanching is more effective in retaining nutrients in vegetables compared to conventional blanching methods."

There was one spanish study showing I think broccoli losing some antioxidants, but then it was later shown that they microwaved the broccoli in water, which is more like boiling which was already shown to reduce nutrients.

Even the FDA, lists microwave ovens as

"foods cooked in a microwave oven may keep more of their vitamins and minerals, because microwave ovens can cook more quickly and without adding water."

Bottom line, is almost any type of heating can cause changes in chemical compisition in food. Microwaves offer some benefits and some drawbacks too.

For example, cooking over open flames has been shown to increase the risk of certain carcinogens increasing in cooked meat. Should that mean you stop cooking on open flames, no. Cooking your meat will most always be safer then eating uncooked meat, and you should maybe take some precautions when preparing food in any mehtod.

Some drawbacks of microwaves are uneven cooking, and heating water and some other fluids can be unsafe at some times.

If anybody has any actual good science showing Nazi's creating ovens for heating food, or studies showing nutrional value of food being diminshed compared to traditional cooking methods I would be interested to read them.

Now to answer the orginal question, Like I said earlier. Most of the information I have seen, seems to show using Microwave Ovens is comparable to most conventinal methods. I have actually read that microwaved meat will have higher quality protein, because of less oxidation involved with microwave cooking.

On the specific question of microwaving meat. Like I said in my previous post, uneven cooking can be a problem, especially fot high fat meat. Also, I have read some articles on Microwaves not being as effective at killing microbiologial organisms in meat, but that was mostly due to the uneven cooking associated with microwaves, and cooking times. Something to think about.

Here, is a great link that pretty much covers everything about microwaves, with alot of refrences if you are looking for further material, not like that POS link posted above.

Microwave Info.

Clean your oven. Fresh meat won't set off smoke detectors.

God, that's nasty.

BoxingFanNoMore said:
Now to answer the orginal question, Like I said earlier. Most of the information I have seen, seems to show using Microwave Ovens is comparable to most conventinal methods. I have actually read that microwaved meat will have higher quality protein, because of less oxidation involved with microwave cooking.

On the specific question of microwaving meat. Like I said in my previous post, uneven cooking can be a problem, especially fot high fat meat. Also, I have read some articles on Microwaves not being as effective at killing microbiologial organisms in meat, but that was mostly due to the uneven cooking associated with microwaves, and cooking times. Something to think about.

Here, is a great link that pretty much covers everything about microwaves, with alot of refrences if you are looking for further material, not like that POS link posted above.

Microwave Info.

Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back