Michael Johnson- Why so weird and inconsistent?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Takes out guys like Tony, Dustin, Tibau, and Barbosa. Finishes some of them even.

Gets beat by Diaz and a bunch of Guys outside the top 10 or top 15.

This guy have mental problems? His striking and wrestling is there. Why can’t he put it together?

Takes out guys like Tony, Dustin, Tibau, and Barbosa. Finishes some of them even.

This guy have mental problems? His striking and wrestling is there. Why can’t he put it together?
I think he’s mentally weak, look no further than his pre-fight trash talk to Gaethje. The guy is a dangerous athlete with confidence issues or something.

He's pretty consistent in a way, beats good fighters if they allow him to move around or/and lead the dance.

Looks quite mediocre if opponent seizes control, especially if it ends up on the ground.

His submission defense against Moises looked about as bad as when Paul Sass just rolled towards him grabbing his leg, so many years ago.

He's a killer. Watch his training footage with Usman. He holds his own. His issues seem to be mainly mental.

Actaually one of the better questions to try to figure out. Much better than debating the GOAT, anything to deal with Conor or the natural
physique Costa and Romero. Johnson's striking is one of the best i've ever seen, in any weight class. He really struggles with adjusting to an opponent once he starts getting caught out wrestled. When he knocked out Porier, that was a straight up stand up chess match,....wait for Dustin to throw, and counter. He honestly has the skill set to be champion, just some people don't know how to put it all together

Lol u people are weird.
This is a sport. Not Yo gi oh.
U get solved, u get old, u get gameplanned, u get cought.. etc
Its not whichever fighter has more points wins.
I'm trying to figure out exactly what ur talking about bc I'm not sure what that has to do with the original question. Points? Yo gi oh? I get ur trying to be clever and funny, and while i guess it's a good try,........no it really isn't. Try again on another thread, u've got potential

In addition to the mental issues, his ground game seems lacking. He does fine on the feet but keeps getting caught in submissions.

I don't think he has a championship mentality. I also believe he would have had more success if he had pursued boxing from a young age rather than MMA. He's got tremendous hand speed and footwork. But he has zero skills on the ground.

Exciting fighter, you never know which version is gunna show up

He hasa high ceiling, or had

Fight IQ nearly non existent and submission defense is very poor.

I don’t think his wrestling is there, at least not defensively. And his BJJ is definitely not up to par.

Because he has the speed and power to potentially beat anyone but has enough holes in his game to potentially get beaten by anyone. Very similar to Melvin Guillard in that regard

I don't know how you can call someone who has a career record of 19-16 "inconsistent."

He's on rare occasion pulled off a big win.

Khabib gave him his 7th career submission loss and one fight later a featherweight gave him his 8th. MJ is a terrible, terrible grappler and a liability on the ground.

Not a lot of mystery here. Fast hands, hits hard, incomplete fighter with big holes in his game and a record to match.

Last edited:
Because he eats shit for breakfast. Can't be healthy. Sometimes he has a day off.

He seems like one of those guys that's probably a killer in the gym, but just can't quite get there in actual fights.

Mental...

He reminds me of Melvin Guillard. Both have a wrestling background but aren’t very good at translating it to MMA. Both are also turtles off their back and have next to no submission defense which is weird because both have always been at really good high level camps (Guillard at like 9 of them).

Back