MG vs Rafa Mendes... Who wins?

Just to say: Although Rafa's performance against Rodolfo about Abu Dhabi Pro No-gi's was great in how the most dominant fighter of the year couldn't score him, but look at Rodolfo at ADCC 2011. The guy was smashing everyone in the gi and got taken out in 2 minutes by Dean Lister (who is no scrub, but still).

I'm just saying that although Rodolfo's still a beast, in no-gi he's not as good, so we shouldn't take it as Rafa was fighting the best no-gi fighter who was also 60/70lbs heavier than him, because he isn't the best in no-gi.

I see Marcelo winning in no-gi and the gi. Find me anyone smaller than Marcelo who has been competitive with him in no-gi and even people his own size besides Popovitch once - which was slightly controversial - and in the gi Langhi beat him on decision (I think), but no one since.

A year ago I would have said Marcelo for sure.

Now I have no idea. I can only say I'd really like to see the match.

Someone should call MG and ask him if he can beat Rafa. Then give MG's response to Rafa, the "spiced up" version of course.

This will give us a grudge match that we want.

Take some lessons from Don King people!

Just to say: Although Rafa's performance against Rodolfo about Abu Dhabi Pro No-gi's was great in how the most dominant fighter of the year couldn't score him, but look at Rodolfo at ADCC 2011. The guy was smashing everyone in the gi and got taken out in 2 minutes by Dean Lister (who is no scrub, but still).

I'm just saying that although Rodolfo's still a beast, in no-gi he's not as good, so we shouldn't take it as Rafa was fighting the best no-gi fighter who was also 60/70lbs heavier than him, because he isn't the best in no-gi.

I see Marcelo winning in no-gi and the gi. Find me anyone smaller than Marcelo who has been competitive with him in no-gi and even people his own size besides Popovitch once - which was slightly controversial - and in the gi Langhi beat him on decision (I think), but no one since.

Kron is smaller than Marcelo and gave him a hell of a fight, almost subbed him. Not that much smaller but he can make Leve.

Same could be said for Mendes on most of the last accounts.

Marcelo would be favorite no gi though don't get me wrong.

seriously lol?

Yeah, I hadn't seen that pic. I think it's from a couple of weeks ago, my kid doesn't go to very many no gi classes. When I saw the pic in this thread, I literally lol'd.

Marcelo has a clinchy style? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but could you explain? I always see that he's constantly moving his hips, and emphazes positions where you can move freely and quickly. I've even heard him say that he doesn't prefer a style that involves clinching and locking in with someone. So it's interesting to hear someone say they think he has a clinch type of style.

All I'm saying is that if Rafa has a speed and movement style without the gi on then I see Marcelo also having a very, very similar style.

by clinchy style i mean relative to rafas game like controlling the wrists alot more than rafa does and cupping triceps to get butterfly sweeps etc. of course both have alot of movement though. oh and 2 on 1 grip also, he loves that.

actually watch the recent rolled up where marcelo rolls vs budo jake. he talks alot about "using grips" in no gi

Kron is smaller than Marcelo and gave him a hell of a fight, almost subbed him. Not that much smaller but he can make Leve.

Same could be said for Mendes on most of the last accounts.

Marcelo would be favorite no gi though don't get me wrong.

marcelo demolished kron lol

Not watch the last ADCC? Marcelo won by 2 points and almost got guillotined. How is that demolishing Kron?

And their first match went to OT, although Marcelo got the mounted guillotine. It was a tight match also.

And their first match went to OT, although Marcelo got the mounted guillotine. It was a tight match also.

Good point.

Mendes vs Marcelo would be so tight if there was a sub within normal time limits I would be very surprised.

Not watch the last ADCC? Marcelo won by 2 points and almost got guillotined. How is that demolishing Kron?

He didn't demolished, but the superiority was evident. And the guillotine looked a lot more dangerous then it was in reality because Kron was pulling that move with his dear life, because he knew that was his only chance to winning that fight.

He didn't demolished, but the superiority was evident. And the guillotine looked a lot more dangerous then it was in reality because Kron was pulling that move with his dear life, because he knew that was his only chance to winning that fight.

I'm the as huge a Marcelo fan as anyone, but even Marcelo said that he almost went to sleep, and even thought he may have gone out for a second.

If that wasn't a dangerous spot to be in then I don't know what is.

^ marcelo said the reason he was able to get out of the guillotine was that kron did not have it perfect, which you need to submit marcelo (if that is possible anymore)

both marcelo and rafa will go down as all time greats. realistically the match will never happen unfortunately.

^ marcelo said the reason he was able to get out of the guillotine was that kron did not have it perfect, which you need to submit marcelo (if that is possible anymore)

both marcelo and rafa will go down as all time greats. realistically the match will never happen unfortunately.

I was definitely not trying to say it was perfect. I'm just saying that he said it almost put him out. I saw the vid where he said it wasn't quite perfect. You have to think if anyone is comfortable on the receiving end of that, knowing the ins and outs, it's Marcelo. For sure that's true.

I also echo your last 2 sentences that I bolded.

i cannot create a new thread, but here is michael langhhi on rolled up and have not seen a thread on it

Back