MG vs Rafa Mendes... Who wins?

MG by North-South in Gi.

MG by Guillotine in No-Gi.

I think Marcelo will struggle to pass Mendes, but I'm pretty sure he can take him down and sweep him whereas Mendes would struggle to do that to Marcelo.

Also, Marcelo's only loss since 2003 to anyone smaller than him was Michael Langhi, I believe.

rafa would pull for sure, i dont see marcelo passing rafas guard like ever, i have a hard time seeing rafa sweep marcelo but who knows he probably could. i could see marcelo sweeping rafa back tho to even it up. man i just dont know, id give the nod to rafa just because hes so active on the scene but picking against marcelo is just asking to look dumb. still, rafa wins both imo

I think Mendes is a cerebral enough player to come up with a winning gameplan, however it would probably be a dreadfully boring gameplan because Marcelo eats transitions alive

I think it's insanely tough to make predictions on these types of matches when there is no history between them, or mutual opponents, etc. Both of these 2 are so insanely talented it's basically beyond comprehension.

All I can really think of is that I think Marcelo would have a slight advantage if the match were no-gi, but a lot of that is simply because there's less Rafa matches to look at no-gi. But...in his first two ADCCs, starting at only 19, the kid took out Leo Vieira, Robson Moura, Frazatto, and Justin Rader & Cobrinha twice each. Obviously with Marcelo there are dozens of matches to look at, and he has the best no-gi resume ever.

In the gi I think the match is closer than close, and a true toss up. Honestly I think it's pretty much a toss-up either way, and I'd love to see a superfight. Marcelo is my favorite competitor ever, and Rafa is one of my favorite competitors right now, so it would be such a cool match as a fan. I'd hate for either of them to have to lose, though.

Put it this way, I wouldn't put money on it.

they should have this for Metamoris II, rafa would fuck him up

I'd pick Marcelo in no-gi, but view gi as a more of a tossup. I could imagine Marcelo finishing Rafa no-gi, whereas I think Rafa would have to eek out a razor close victory on advantages.

FYI: Last week I had a dream that Marcelo announced he was retiring and took this superfight as his last match.

I think it's insanely tough to make predictions on these types of matches when there is no history between them, or mutual opponents, etc. Both of these 2 are so insanely talented it's basically beyond comprehension.

All I can really think of is that I think Marcelo would have a slight advantage if the match were no-gi, but a lot of that is simply because there's less Rafa matches to look at no-gi. But...in his first two ADCCs, starting at only 19, the kid took out Leo Vieira, Robson Moura, Frazatto, and Justin Rader & Cobrinha twice each. Obviously with Marcelo there are dozens of matches to look at, and he has the best no-gi resume ever.

In the gi I think the match is closer than close, and a true toss up. Honestly I think it's pretty much a toss-up either way, and I'd love to see a superfight. Marcelo is my favorite competitor ever, and Rafa is one of my favorite competitors right now, so it would be such a cool match as a fan. I'd hate for either of them to have to lose, though.

Rodolfo couldnt even score an advantage on rafa, i know marcelos game is way better in no gi than rodolfo but still. i kno rafa wont stand for long and i dont see marcelo passing

this match-up was offered to Rafa a while back if I'm not mistaken. This was back before I had heard about Rafa. Now, I know he's amazing, too.

It was supposed to be a superfight in NYC back when they held that lightweight tournament.

I see MG winning both. Just watching him roll against the top players in the world with so much ease is amazing. I just don't search Rafa as much as MG, so I can't comment too much on his game. I have seen some amazing shit from him though. Two amazing athletes

I have no idea what would happen. Both are amazing, I have a hard time seeing anybody who is not a lot bigger than Rafa beating him in the gi. So I would say it might be advantage to Mendes, but by a tiny amount.

NOGI I have no idea, I would say Marcelo would end up winning, don't see Mendes getting subbed, I don't think I have seen him close to tapping ever.

if they were the same weight, i would take rafa. but marcelo is 2 weight classes up so i would probably take MG.

but i would not bet on it.

I think it's insanely tough to make predictions on these types of matches when there is no history between them, or mutual opponents, etc. .

As usual, I agree with you. But they actually do have one mutual opponent

if there is a match that people will want to see for Metamoris 2, is this one... catch weight...

Here is some footage of MG rolling with Cobrinha. Obviously it's not a competition but they are still going pretty hard. There is a lot of footage of Rafael vs Cobrinha.

Here is some footage of MG rolling with Cobrinha. Obviously it's not a competition but they are still going pretty hard. There is a lot of footage of Rafael vs Cobrinha.

You picked their bad match lol. This is their best one:

If Rafa darces Marcelo, BJJ would explode

They both have the calmest expressions...like surgeons.

294kirr.png

tumblr_ls7sarrUaG1qahonwo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
the best dream match in BJJ i believe

too hard to pick against either, the winner would be jiu jitsu

Back