Memories of Tuesday Night Fights

Everybody seems to remember James Thunder. How about when he got K.O'd by Maurice Harris. Seems like Maurice hit him with 5 or 6 left handed punches within a second or two. At least that's how I remember it. Chris Byrd was on there a lot. Didn't he stop Klitschko on a Tues. night Fight? Vinny Pazienza was always fun to watch.

I used to watch it every week. I was pissed off when they took that show off the air. At the time I liked Sean OGrady but now when I hear him on other broadcasts I don't like him too much. I think it was FOX fights he would get in the ring with fighters right before the fight. That was crap. I lost some respect for him when he was doing that garbage.

That pic. is Al Cole. Right?

Or actually Klitschko quit on the stool against Byrd. Said he had a shoulder injury. Byrd didn't stop him.

Everybody seems to remember James Thunder. How about when he got K.O'd by Maurice Harris. Seems like Maurice hit him with 5 or 6 left handed punches within a second or two. At least that's how I remember it. Chris Byrd was on there a lot. Didn't he stop Klitschko on a Tues. night Fight? Vinny Pazienza was always fun to watch.

I used to watch it every week. I was pissed off when they took that show off the air. At the time I liked Sean OGrady but now when I hear him on other broadcasts I don't like him too much. I think it was FOX fights he would get in the ring with fighters right before the fight. That was crap. I lost some respect for him when he was doing that garbage.

That pic. is Al Cole. Right?

You got it, Al "Ice" Cole. At one time it seemed to me like he was on Tuesday Night Fights almost every week. I remember him as a hard worker, not a particularly hard puncher, but extremely energetic. You had to pack a lunch if you fought him.

Tell me more about what Sean did in the ring after TNFs please. I never knew of his history after that show. Was it annoying because he was distracting and bothering the fighters as they were trying to get ready to fight?

A few memories that come to mind were the past greats on the way down, that were featured on that show as opponents for up and comers. One fighter I remember that fit that mold was Pinklon Thomas. I recall him fighting late in his career on TNFs, and he moved like a mummy. He was fighting the legendary Mike "The Bounty" Hunter, and lost. He was extremely stiff, could barely move around the ring, and I was sad to see it. I actually sat next to Pinklon at a card in Fort Lauderdale two years later. He was talking about wanting to get a chance to fight Holyfield and be champ again. I mean no disrespect to him describing this, and he was showing the heart of a champion, never giving up or admitting that he was any less then his best. He did look better in his later losing effort to Tommy Morrison, also on TNFs.

I wanted to make this a post of it's own. This had to be one of the most exciting moments ever on TNFs. Booker T Word was the definition of a "fireplug", short, compact, and built like a wall. He always reminded me of a 3/4 scale model of Mike Tyson :icon_chee

Yes. You said it - distracting & bothering the fighters. As a former fighter he should know how disrespectful & irritating that was. No fighter wants to talk right before the fight or between rounds. He shouldn't have agree to do that type of broadcasting. It made me lose respect for him & for the whole broadcast.

Alexander Zolkin had a bunch of good fights on USA, I think against Bert Cooper and Tubbs. That was a great overall channel in general back in the 90's.

two.jpg

c'mon, am I the only one who thinks that Sean O'Grady looks a little like KJ Noons??

Everybody seems to remember James Thunder. How about when he got K.O'd by Maurice Harris. Seems like Maurice hit him with 5 or 6 left handed punches within a second or two. At least that's how I remember it. Chris Byrd was on there a lot. Didn't he stop Klitschko on a Tues. night Fight?

Klitschko never fought on USA Network. He was long past that era.

I remember watching Tyson in his comeback fight Buster Mathis Jr. (the next fight after McNeeley) live on Fox; Mathis did okay until the 3rd when Tyson laid him out cold

Oba Carr vs Livingstone Bramble...that was a good one!TNF was great!

after the whole fiasco with vitali and shannon briggs i remembered one of the most brutal ko's id ever seen in boxing happened on tuesday night fights: alex garcia nearly killing bernard benton...i saw this as a kid and even today its still very vivid..so many unanswered punches smh

Loved TNF back in the day. Also, does anyone remember when Tuesday night fights used to be thursday night fights on usa? I really wish they'd bring that back. I don't see why they can't. TNT got in the game for one fight- an angel manfredy title fight, it was pretty good production. Some of my fav tnf memories...Reggie Johnson vs Lamar Parks for wba mw title...the ever-comebacking roberto duran...young rjj...mark gastineau fights!!!

Back