• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Meme Thread v105: Good Guy With a Meme

Go try to unsee that one.

GOSngDCXYAADaEH

It's tribalism. The dynamic of "Us vs Them" which takes on many forms and has always been a part of human nature from the beginning:

My sports team vs your sports team
Black vs white
Gay vs straight
Koreans vs anyone who mistakes them for Chinese
People who want to talk to 3rd graders about sex vs People with torches and pitchforks
Men who can bench 275 vs Men who probably shouldn't even exist
etc.
I always remember studying group dynamics. It covers how humans behave in societal structures among groups and towards others.

We did an exercise, with the class split in two groups. This was done on day one, where no one really knew each other. There was some competition, can't recall what it was.

The purpose was to show how quickly a group of strangers with vast differences can develop animosity towards another group, even though that group was formed in front of them just as randomly.

Imagine groups of like minded people, and how easy they can hate another group, especially with different values. I always try to avoid the mob/herd mentality that can easily form as a result.

Back