Meditation ?

Evaristo Medrano

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Do you belive that
meditation can help you out
as far a training and condtioning in martial arts??
Let me know

i want to learn how to do it...sometimes there is so much noise in my head.I want to learn how to stare at a wall and just stare at a wall.

I say yes. Do you consider visualization a type of meditation? I don't know how many times I have been told to visualize something then do it. Lots of people play mental jiu jitsu. Before I go for a heavy lift, I stare at the bar and think about the lift, this helps me concentrate and get psyched up.

This may be helpful for some;

As you wake in the morning, keep your eyes closed, breathe, be aware of your dreams and process them as best you can.
The dream state is similar to a deep, meditative state.
Most when they wake are awoken by an alarm or they just wake up and open their eyes.
This is where you lose all the valuable information you have acquired in your sleep state.
You must be aware of your awakening and where your mind's subconscious has gone while your body has rested.
It is good to train yourself to not use an alarm.
Most would be surprised that they will wake up approx. the same time as the alarm is set, assuming one has a regular schedule.

hey chad,

very interesting, i'd like to know more. what do you mean info lost that you acquired in your sleep state? so what are the benefits of being "aware of my awakening", i will feel that i had more sleep? I despise hearing that alarm go off for a few seconds every morning, i can feel my body awake in shock to hit that button.. always thought that was a bad thing

any more links or info on how to mediate would be great.

Chad is speaking of lost information as in that the subconscious mind processes information just the same as the conscious mind. The only difference is because you have no real control over what the subconscious envisions (unles you're HIGHLY skilled) the things you see being deduced are always in abstract and symbolisms. Here's some basic information about dream-interpretation that will show what I (and Chad) mean:

When you die in your dreams - your subconscious is telling you life-altering change is afoot. Something major is going to, or NEEDS to change.

When your body decomposes in your dreams (teeth fall out, hair fall out, etc.) - You're having self-esteem issues regarding your appearence.

It's all really pretty simple once you get to know what's what. So, that being said, when you dream your mind is sorting things out and going over problems you face, just not with your permission or control. A smart person always considers what they see in their dreams, especially if you have a tendency of having pre-cognitive ones. Like you see scenes in your dreams that you see a couple of months later, etc. It doesn't mean you're psychic, it means you're very perceptive. This information can definitely be very valuable to include in your thought process and decision-making on a daily basis. Dream recall can help get over mental blocks, nervousness, etc. And mastering understanding dreams leads to more peaceful sleep, because when you sleep your mind is at-ease. This means better transition to REM sleep, and more rest. More rest equates to better energy in your waking hours. You feel rested, and loads more confident.

Meditation was a process initially used for battling insomnia, so the two are definitely related.

Thank you KK.
I seem to have a difficult time articulating my thoughts.

Ruick-
Be aware of when you naturally wake your next day off, without the alarm.

wow i'm a realy relaxed person. according to the ideas posted here i'm constantly in a meditative state.

Chad Hamilton said:
It is good to train yourself to not use an alarm.
Most would be surprised that they will wake up approx. the same time as the alarm is set, assuming one has a regular schedule.

I quite often wake up 1-2 minutes before my alarm is set to go off. Funny reminder how accurate your bodys internal clock is.

I wish I knew more about how to meditate.I have also heard military guys talke about self hypnosis and how relaxing it can be.

Ruick said:
hey chad,

very interesting, i'd like to know more. what do you mean info lost that you acquired in your sleep state? so what are the benefits of being "aware of my awakening", i will feel that i had more sleep? I despise hearing that alarm go off for a few seconds every morning, i can feel my body awake in shock to hit that button.. always thought that was a bad thing

A nice little trick that I use to keep from being shocked awake by my irritating alarm in the morning (it has to be loud and irritating or else I'd ignore it and fall back asleep) is to find and set another, quiet/mellow wussy sounding alarm from a different device in the same room, and set it to go off about 1 minute or so BEFORE the loud one begins. That way your body is brought out of deep sleep and either awake completely or in light sleep, because it had a warning beforehand

I've learned a little bit of meditation (centering) and a couple of things that helped me were being told that it's not a competitive thing and you don't have to be the best at it right away- which is fairly key as I'm sure most of this site is hypercompetitive like me. Just relax and start small was the main thing. One trick everyone can try is the next time you're in the shower close your eyes as the warm waters beating down on you in a rythmnic fashion and let your thoughts go. Don't try to force your mind blank, however.

I believe that grounding yourself is one of the best things you can ever do. Too many people spend too much time with their mind way up in the clouds. Becoming grounded you become more aware of everything in your life, including things that happen with sports; you can become conscious.

Back